Using Nikon Capture (for monochrome conversion)

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 20, 2005 5:19:24 PM

I found the trial version of Photoshop Elements 3.0 very good for
converting images to monochrome, especially where you could desaturate
bands of colour to specific grey intensities. (I think it was in
colour level adjustment or something).

Is there such a capability in Nikon Capture?

I'm using its trial version now, to compare the two. I must say I
don't like Capture's histogram adjustment as much as in Photoshop's
raw import; having the lost high/lowlight onscreen at the same
time helps, and I haven't got the knack of the curve yet, but I
expect it might be more powerful than Photoshop's import tool.

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

On Fri, 20 May 2005 13:19:24 +0200, in rec.photo.digital Ken Tough
<ken@objectech.co.uk> wrote:

>I found the trial version of Photoshop Elements 3.0 very good for
>converting images to monochrome, especially where you could desaturate
>bands of colour to specific grey intensities. (I think it was in
>colour level adjustment or something).
>
>Is there such a capability in Nikon Capture?

Not to my knowledge, but I don't do this.

>I'm using its trial version now, to compare the two. I must say I
>don't like Capture's histogram adjustment as much as in Photoshop's
>raw import; having the lost high/lowlight onscreen at the same
>time helps, and I haven't got the knack of the curve yet, but I
>expect it might be more powerful than Photoshop's import tool.

FWIW, you can show lost shadows or highlights under the view menu..
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
May 21, 2005 2:24:38 AM

Here is what I do...I use Nikon Capture to convert it from the NEF file.
I adjust the white balance, do an initial contrast, and sometimes color
booster. Then I import into photoshop. Fine adjust the curves, and
saturation, then final step is Unsharp mask....I find the RAW conversion
in Nikon Capture is better than the Photoshop. It seems cleaner, plus
it starts you off with the camera presets....So the sharpness, white
balance, color mode, saturation from the in camera settings are the
defaults.

JR
May 21, 2005 1:43:40 PM

Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:

>>I'm using its trial version now, to compare the two. I must say I
>>don't like Capture's histogram adjustment as much as in Photoshop's
>>raw import; having the lost high/lowlight onscreen at the same
>>time helps, and I haven't got the knack of the curve yet, but I
>>expect it might be more powerful than Photoshop's import tool.
>
>FWIW, you can show lost shadows or highlights under the view menu..

True, but you can't view both, with the image itself, as you
adjust the curve. (Or at least I can't seem to do it). You
have to keep flipping back & forth.
--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

On Sat, 21 May 2005 09:43:40 +0200, in rec.photo.digital Ken Tough
<ken@objectech.co.uk> wrote:

>Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:
>>FWIW, you can show lost shadows or highlights under the view menu..
>
>True, but you can't view both, with the image itself, as you
>adjust the curve. (Or at least I can't seem to do it). You
>have to keep flipping back & forth.

True.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at