5970 Crossfire

wonspur

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I have two 5970's that i recently bought.

i have a 1000W PSU. I didnt have a crossfire bridge at first, so i set up my computer and installed all the drivers with 1 GPU installed.

the problem is, whenever i select to enable crossfire it immediately reverts back to "disable crossfire" in the settings. this is a huge hassle for me because i was running skyrim and bf at near max settings on one card with a bit of choppiness but now its very noticeably choppy when i have two cards with crossfire disabled.

I tried looking for this issue on google and did not find much. Any help is much appreciated.

i5 2500k not overclocked (yet)
8 gb 1600 ram
500gb harddrive
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3

medmn

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
make sure both cards are running the same bios version. This was driving a lot of folks nuts - myself included. In my case I was able to get updated bios from XFX website. Check manufacturer site for maker of your cards and see what they have for bios support. You have to uninstall all the drivers from your machine, flash each card individually, put one card back in and install drivers, shut down, install second card and reboot. Crossfire should enable fine after this process. It is a PIA but it usually works.

wonspur

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
well, i see that the CCC detects the second card, maybe i should uninstall and reinstall the driver again? just to make sure that both cards have the latest drivers. ill check the bios as well. thanks for the suggestions guys

wonspur

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
im having no luck with this at all, the one card runs fine for now. im thinking my other card might have a faulty GPU. it comes up with 3 display adapters when i crossfire them and one "unknown" device. i havent tried just running the other card yet, i just want to get some gaming in this weekend maybe ill try it during the week.