Changing motherboard!

Shep1

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Hello,I've replaced my Dell motherboard with an ASUS M2A74-AM. My OS is XP SP2. I used the same Dell hard drive that I originally used in the Dell, however, I did reinstall the XP OS. My problem is that I intermittently lose my network connection. The only alternative I have to regain cxn is to reboot
my computer or disable/reenable the network connection. I use a wireless router, but use a LAN cable. Additionally, I have other computers that use the same wireless router without issue. Are there changes that I need to make to registry keys to resolve this issue? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

It's always possible (if unlikely) you damaged the motherboard’s ethernet port in the process of installing it. I hope you used offsets behind the motherboard so it’s not touching the back of the case, and possibly causing an intermittent short.

Also, because XP will automatically detect and install at least some drivers, there's a tendency to assume those drivers are OK, and NOT use the drivers from the motherboard CD. Sometimes you can get away w/ it. But if you have any problems at all, use the drivers from the motherboard CD instead. They're probably more reliable.

Shep1

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
EIBGRAD,

I did use the offsets, so there should not be an issue there. However, installing the drivers directly from the motherboard CD may be the solution.

Thanks again for the advice!