Capcom Classics Collection [Xbox, PS2]

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 26, 2005 6:36:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/puzzle/capcomclassicscolle... the current generation of game systems--both home consoles andportable systems--offer players a wide breadth of high-quality games toenjoy, this wasn't always the case. No, back in the era of the sprite andvector graphic, home consoles were cool diversions to play around with whenyou were stuck at home, but gamers looking for some graphical flash knewthat arcades held the real hotness. A throwback to that era is the upcomingCapcom Classics Collection, a compilation of 21 arcade titles from theveteran developer's history that are a potent reminder of why, of the myriadof companies that made arcade games and are now gone, Capcom is stillaround. We had the chance to get an exclusive look at the upcomingPlayStation 2 and Xbox compilation and were mightily pleased at itsoffering.In many ways, Capcom Classic Collection is akin to a grade-school-era orhigh-school-era snapshot of the publisher/developer; long before it wasbeloved for its Street Fighter and Resident Evil franchises, Capcom wasknown for some truly kick-ass arcade games. The compilation contains a totalof 22 games, which span Capcom's arcade offerings between 1984 and 1992. Thegames cover the key genres from the heyday of arcade games: shooters,side-scrolling beat-'em-ups, and fighters. We've been cleared to talk about13 of the titles in the collection--which include some of our personalfavorites--and about how they play.1942 is a World War II-themed shooter that appeared in arcades in 1984. Thegame has you blasting enemy planes out of the sky and collecting power-upsto upgrade your ship's weapons. Though the odds are daunting, you'll be ableto perform loop-the-loops to avoid enemy fire; of course, you're limited tothree per level, to keep things challenging.1943, the sequel to 1942, followed in 1987 and features enhanced graphicsand gameplay. You'll take control of a P-38 jet fighter packing six secretweapons. Besides being able to loop-the-loop, as in 1942, you're also ableto make use of natural phenomena, including lightning, cyclones, andtsunamis, to help you.Bionic Commando is the side-scrolling action game that appeared in 1987.You'll be charged with making the most of a bionic arm fitted with awire-grappling hook and a gun as you set out to infiltrate the enemy'ssecret base, discover their top secret plans, and put a stop to them.Final Fight plays every bit as well today as it did back in 1989.Final Fight is a side-scrolling beat-'em-up that hit in 1989. The gamecharged you with cleaning up the streets of Metro City by playing as one ofthree characters: Cody, Guy, or Mike Haggar. Rather than using social reformor the legislature, the three men fall back on the late-'80s/early-'90sstyle of peacekeeping: knocking the smack out of the criminal element withyour hands, feet, and anything else that's handy.Forgotten Worlds is a 1988 side-scrolling shooter that marked a milestonefor Capcom, being the first title to be released on the developer'sproprietary CPS arcade hardware. Besides having improved graphics, the gameadded some new elements not traditionally seen in an arcade shooter--namely,a shop.Ghosts 'n Goblins is a side-scrolling platformer released in 1985 that castyou as Sir Arthur, a knight out to rescue his honey from the depths of hell.The game features a number of memorable elements, such as Arthur rockingboxer shorts when his armor is hit and a level of difficulty that makesgrown men cry.Ghouls 'n Ghosts is the 1988 sequel to Ghosts 'n Goblins and finds Arthurback on the hunt for his special lady, who has wound up in hell again. Thiswas a common problem back in those days; Mario was having similar problemswith Princess Peach, who wound up with Bowser all the time. Gun.Smoke is a1985 western-themed shooter that cast you as Billy the Cowboy, a bountyhunter who seemed to be OK with bringing in his targets more dead thanalive. The game put a western spin on traditional shooter elements, such aspower-ups from picking up boots, horses, bullets, and rifles. LegendaryWings is a unique shooter released in 1986 that combined vertical andside-scrolling action shooting. You'll play as Michelle Heart or KevinWalker, a pair of humans empowered by the gods with the gift of flight. Ofcourse, the gift has a price: You have to use your newly bestowed powers todefeat Dark, an evil computer wreaking havoc on the land.Mercs, the 1990 sequel to Commando, is a third-person action shooter thatcast you as a mercenary sent out to rescue the president of the UnitedStates from kidnappers. The three-player cooperative game offered a morepolished experience than its predecessor and featured plenty of differentweapons and vehicles for you to play with.Street Fighter II Championship Edition is the 1992 sequel to the originalStreet Fighter II. The new release offered better gameplay-balancing and theability to play as the four boss characters, Balrog, Vega, Sagat, and M.Bison. The game was part of the wave of titles that marked both a change inthe fighting genre and a shift in Capcom's forte, as this was the start ofthe developer's reign as the preeminent developer of 2D fighters.Trojan is a 1986 side-scrolling beat-'em-up set in a postapocalyptic world;this game sent you off to defeat the evil king, who is oppressing thelocals. The game armed you with a sword and a shield, which you could lose,forcing you to rely on hand-to-hand combat to stay alive.Son Son is the 1984 side-scrolling shooter that marked Capcom's debut in USarcades. You'll take control of one of two brothers, Son Son or Ton Ton, whoare on a quest to rescue their friends. As you would expect, much shootingand collecting of food ensues as they conduct their mission of mercy.In addition to the above titles, Capcom Classics Collection will contain1943 Kai, Commando, Exed Exes, Pirate Ship Higemaru, Section Z, StreetFighter II, Street Fighter II Hyperfighting, Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, andVulgus.The emulation on all the games appears to be quite good, thanks to developerDigital Eclipse's experience with previous classic compilations. Each of thegames runs well, although we noticed some inconsistency in the audio in afew places, and each offers multiplayer support--if it was originallyoffered in the game. We also noticed some loading in Street Fighter II thatwe're hoping will be cleaned up. The compilation runs fine on both systems,although you'll notice that the Xbox version loads a hair faster. Visually,you won't be able to tell the difference between the two versions of thegame.In addition to offering all the games, Capcom Classics Collection lets youtweak the display in each game to suit your taste. The shooters offer anenhanced-screen option that removes the display information from thegameplay and moves it along the right side of the screen. The side-scrollerslet you finesse screen size to fit your television. Control maps well to thePS2 and Xbox controllers for the most part, although we're sure purists willwant to hop in and customize their button layouts. Best of all, you'll finda host of unlockable content in the bonus section of each game. By meetingcertain conditions in the game, such as clearing a certain number of levelsor earning a set number of points, you'll open up art, tips, music, andother content that will shed light on the individual games.Based on what we've played, Capcom Classics Collection is shaping up to be awelcome bit of nostalgia. The selection of games offers a good sampling ofthe company's rich arcade heritage and touches upon most of the highlights.Not every game we wanted was included, but that just leaves ample room for amuch-needed sequel. The only quibbles we have are a few sound hiccups thatpopped up intermittently, but they're on the "to-do" list of fixes that arehappening as development wraps up. All told, whether you're a young'un who'scurious about old-school games or a veteran player with a hankering for someold favorites, you'd do well to keep an eye out for Capcom ClassicsCollection. The game is slated to ship late next month for the PlayStation 2and Xbox.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:40:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

once again too much info crammed into too small a space. Am I assuming
you are changing your name every so often to stop people killfiling
you? If so that's not on and apart from anything else once folks have
read the first post by you they know it's you and add you to their KF
again.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

Paul Heslop wrote:

> once again too much info crammed into too small a space.

He's an idiot...he doesn't understand the concept of text formatting.

> Am I assuming
> you are changing your name every so often to stop people killfiling
> you?

It's not so much that he does it for people to stop killfiling him as it's
so he can get around the filters everyone already has setup for his sorry
ass. I keep a special set of filters called "Cygnus's Bullshit"...

> If so that's not on and apart from anything else once folks have
> read the first post by you they know it's you and add you to their KF
> again.

Thing is, momma's little boy craves the attention....he has to constantly
change his usenet alias so people will read his bullshit crossposts, and
realize he even exists. It's a sad, sad existance...even worse than
working at Mc Donalds for minimum wage(which he probably does) and living
in his mom's basement(which, again, he probably does).

Bel
--

Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"I loves me kitty"
August 28, 2005 1:01:23 AM

The Space Boss wrote:

> It's on topic and informative. What is the problem?

The problem is he changes his name so his huge files become available
again to those who have killfiled him. If it is on tpoic is
irrelevant, he's in my killfile because he's boring.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
September 6, 2005 1:00:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Well, there's no point in owning just one console anymore either. I
mean, sure you got Resident Evil 4 before the PS2 crowd but there
haven't exactly been a lot of other AAA Gamecube releases this year.

Take that money you're saving by not having any Gamecube games to buy
and pick up a second console.

- Jordan
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:21:17 AM

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in news:1125947259.170154.216160
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Here's the complete list of titles too...
>
> http://www.capcom.com/ccc/
>
> 1942
> 1943
> 1943 Kai
> Street Fighter II
> Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting
> Street Fighter II Champion Edition
> Ghost' N Goblins
> Ghouls' N Ghosts
> Super Ghouls' N Ghost
> Son Son
> Exed Exes
> Pirate Ship Higemaru
> Vulgus (Capcom's 1st game ever)
> Commando
> Mercs
> Gun.Smoke
> Section Z
> Bionic Commando
> Forgotten Worlds
> Legendary Wings
> Trojan
> Final Fight
>
> Kinda bummed they didn't include Fighting Street as a curiosity, oh
> well...

If it isn't coming out for Gamecube, I don't give a god damn... damn
Capcom, screwing me with no Gamecube release.

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

"Chuck Whitby" <chuck@toomanygames.com> wrote in message
> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in news:1125947259.170154.216160
> @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Here's the complete list of titles too...
> >
> > http://www.capcom.com/ccc/
> >
> > 1942
> > 1943
> > 1943 Kai
> > Street Fighter II
> > Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting
> > Street Fighter II Champion Edition
> > Ghost' N Goblins
> > Ghouls' N Ghosts
> > Super Ghouls' N Ghost
> > Son Son
> > Exed Exes
> > Pirate Ship Higemaru
> > Vulgus (Capcom's 1st game ever)
> > Commando
> > Mercs
> > Gun.Smoke
> > Section Z
> > Bionic Commando
> > Forgotten Worlds
> > Legendary Wings
> > Trojan
> > Final Fight
> >
> > Kinda bummed they didn't include Fighting Street as a curiosity, oh
> > well...
> >

> If it isn't coming out for Gamecube, I don't give a god damn... damn
> Capcom, screwing me with no Gamecube release.
>
> --
> ___
> Chuck Whitby - Founder
> East Coast Gaming Expo
> http://www.ecgxpo.com
> "It's the games"

why any gamer would limit themselves to just one system is beyond me......
especially the one with the least games and support
!