Help with 2 Computer Vista Network

luckygiant

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Hi,

I'm trying to network two vista computers which would seem like a simple enough task but just can't seem to get it working. Some help would be much appreciated.

Computer 1:
Laptop, Dell Inspiron 1545
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (English)
Connection type: Wireless
Connection device: Dell wireless 1397 WAN Minicard Rev5.00
Network Discovery: On
File Sharing: On
Netbios enabled over TCP/IP: Yes
Firewall: Windows Firewall

Computer 2:

Desktop, AMD 64 X2 4200+
Connection type: LAN cable
Connection device: Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E(NDIS 6.0)
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (French)
Network Discovery: On
File Sharing: On
Netbios enabled over TCP/IP: Yes
Firewall: Windows Firewall

Current status:
- Both computers have access to the internet
- Both connected to Freebox Model F-ADSL05
- I have folders shared on both computers
- "full network map" in the network and sharing center [themselves] ---> [network] ---> [internet]

Please let me know any other usefull information needed. Would providing the details for each of the categories in the screenshots be helpful or simply open me up to hacking?

Any ideas on how to get this network to work so I can share files would be much appreciated. (unfortunately my technical skills are not great so would need the step by step of how to do anything suggested)

Many thanks

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
First check that each computer is part of the same workgroup, control panel -> system -> computer name

Next see if you can browse to the other computer by going through the network neighborhood and go to entire network, then microsoft network.

Don't publish your IP's, but verify that only the last number of both IP's are different, the first three should be the same.

luckygiant

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

The workgroups are indeed both the same.

However, the IPs are the same. Both computers can still access the internet.
Does this mean that 2 different networks are being created? (how would I force both onto the same one?)

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Each computer has the same IP? That shouldn't be possible, and is the reason the computers can't see each other.

I'm not familiar with your modem, is it also a router, and do you have access to any of the configuration options? Sounds like things shouldn't be working at all but somehow kinda work for internet access.

luckygiant

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Yep, each computer has the same IP, but both have internet.
Just in case I'm getting the wires crossed the number that is the same is all the IPv4 stuff as per the empty screenshot.

I'm unfamiliar with the router (Freebox Model F-ADSL05) too. As I'm in France and only speak basic French I can't really research it online either. I can get into the router settings, but wouldn't really know what I'm looking for + its all in French.

Is there hardware for english counties that would allow 2 computers with the same IP to have internet access?
Sounds like I should try to dig around for more information on the Freebox Model F-ADSL05)

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
If you are interested in getting new hardware - the easy answer is to get a router. Plug the WAN port of the router into your existing router, and the computers plug into the switch.

Are your existing IP's 192.168.x.x ??? If so then you'll run into problems, if not then you should be ok getting a seperate router and using that to run the network and using what you have to connect to the internet.

Also, google has a fairly good translator you can copy and paste into to translate the router interface you have. It'll be a pain, but a free way to see what you have / need.

luckygiant

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Found the answer to my own question.
Thought I'd post up the fix so anyone else with a similar problem can take a look.

Basically the Freebox router needs to be configured to "router mode" then computers on the network will get seperate IPs and be able to network. The following links explain it well.

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/9942-freebox-configure-the-router-mode
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/9944-router-mode-freebox-livebox-aol-neuf-alice-box