Sign in with
Your question

Few questions about hooking my GPU to my TV - Or MOBO to TV?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2011 2:52:11 AM

Hey guys this has probably been asked a million times but I have searched and searched, can't find an exact match to what I'm trying to do.

I just got a new TV and I want to hook the PC up to it to watch Hulu and Netflix etc on the TV. What I DON'T want is to have to change bios settings every time and/or unplug/replug everything each time. I'd like to have a setup that I can leave as is and just put the TV on input mode when I want to watch movies and shows from the PC. Now, where I'm stuck is my graphics card is an old gtx260 and only has dual DVI and s-video. My MOBO has an HDMI out but if I understand correctly, using that AND my graphics card for seperate applications would require me to change the output setting on the bios each time which is not something my gf can do when I'm not around and it's kind of a PITA. The TV has every input from RCA to HDMI including a DVI.. so my first thought was to just run a long DVI cable (If I can find one) from the second slot on my GPU to the TV but now I have questions. Would doing so override the TV and run it as a second monitor full time or would I still be able to watch TV until I change it to Input? Like I said, I'd rather not have to unplug/replug the cable each time, not sure if This would work. Also, would it be better to buy a DVI to HDMI adapter instead of just running full DVI if I'm not concerned with the sound issue or would that be the only difference? Last question is of course sound. I'd rather use my computer's sound system over the TV's stock setup (At least until I get something better set up for the TV) so would doing the above make the sound come from my computer's system and video from the TV or would doing so just mute sound entirely? And a follow up question, if everything above would work out for me, would I need to change any display settings or just hook it up and run it? Thanks so much, sorry for so many questions :o 

*EDIT* I guess I could mention that a graphics card upgrade is not entirely out of the question if its the only way I can do what I'm trying to do. I'm overdue for an upgrade anyway.. my only concern is that my CPU would probably limit my options. Core 2 duo E5300/TX650/6gb ddr3.
a c 253 U Graphics card
December 3, 2011 3:09:49 AM

Well this could get complicated , The main issue being the sound. If setting up the tv goes as planned what do you do with the sound if you want to use the computers sound and not the tv sound.
Setting up the video is not a problem because you would treat the Pc like a dvd player and hook it up to one of the inputs and just switch inputs when you want to watch the video from the Pc. Since the tv only has one dvi input if it is not a seperate input that you can switch to then you will have to get a dvi to hdmi adaptor because I'm sure that there are multiple hdmi inputs and they are switchable inputs. The question then becomes the sound , since you cannot get sound over dvi you may have to get long speaker wire and place the speakers in the room with the tv when you are watching the Pc video. As far as display settings go you will have to see what the resolution of the tv is and match it from the Pc.
m
l
December 3, 2011 3:24:46 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. So you think the video should work fine? As far as sound goes, my computer and TV are in the same room and the system I have for my computer's sound is massive so as long as it will actually still play audio while the TV is hooked up, I would have no problem hearing it. I'm just not too sure it would play audio and I don't have the cables to just set it up and try it yet.

So I just looked at the input options and it has a list as follows: TV, AV1, AV2, S-vid, Component 1, Component 2, HDMI 1, 2 ,3 VGA, USB. So it doesn't look like it has a DVI input, which I guess would just override the TV if used and play it like a second monitor. Seems strange that it has a VGA setting but not DVI. I don't actually know what AV1 and 2 are, nor do I know what Component 1 and 2 are.. but considering there's 2 of each and 1 DVI input, I'm thinking they are for something else. I guess I'll just go with an adaptor and HDMI cable to be safe on that one.

As far as changing the resolution goes, when I plug the TV into the graphics card, it would auto detect and I could just leave the second display set to the TV's reso and leave my computer monitor where its at, correct? or would I have to bounce back and forth each time I watch something on the tv? Thanks for your help!
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2011 3:35:49 AM

Meety Peety said:
Hey guys this has probably been asked a million times but I have searched and searched, can't find an exact match to what I'm trying to do.

I just got a new TV and I want to hook the PC up to it to watch Hulu and Netflix etc on the TV. What I DON'T want is to have to change bios settings every time and/or unplug/replug everything each time. I'd like to have a setup that I can leave as is and just put the TV on input mode when I want to watch movies and shows from the PC. Now, where I'm stuck is my graphics card is an old gtx260 and only has dual DVI and s-video. My MOBO has an HDMI out but if I understand correctly, using that AND my graphics card for seperate applications would require me to change the output setting on the bios each time which is not something my gf can do when I'm not around and it's kind of a PITA. The TV has every input from RCA to HDMI including a DVI.. so my first thought was to just run a long DVI cable (If I can find one) from the second slot on my GPU to the TV but now I have questions. Would doing so override the TV and run it as a second monitor full time or would I still be able to watch TV until I change it to Input? Like I said, I'd rather not have to unplug/replug the cable each time, not sure if This would work. Also, would it be better to buy a DVI to HDMI adapter instead of just running full DVI if I'm not concerned with the sound issue or would that be the only difference? Last question is of course sound. I'd rather use my computer's sound system over the TV's stock setup (At least until I get something better set up for the TV) so would doing the above make the sound come from my computer's system and video from the TV or would doing so just mute sound entirely? And a follow up question, if everything above would work out for me, would I need to change any display settings or just hook it up and run it? Thanks so much, sorry for so many questions :o 

Petey,

You don't want to use the MOBO's HDMI - you've negated it by setting up and using the 260GTX so it shouldn't be active without a bunch of monkey business.

As far as the TV side of things, just switching its INPUT setting will toggle you between TV and PC input (usually just changing the TV channel takes you out of PC input and back to TV and you just have to use the INPUT select to enable PC input). You can find long DVI and HDMI cables at NEWEGG - I'd go with a long HDMI and put the DVI to HDMI at the PC GPU output. (I ran cables under the floor and drilling the 2 HDMI holes were bad enough - DVI would have been murder). As DVI does NOT transmit an audio signal, you'll have to use your PC's sound system.

I'm running this setup now as I using a ASUS 430 GTS and my somewhat modified HP m8530f PC as a DVD player / net-surfer on a 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron and a Creative Labs 7.1 surround sound system. I'm not using multiple monitors and controlling for multiple monitors gets a bit more complicated on the PC side - especially as it needs to be a setup your GF can run - and if she is anything like my wife, trying to teach her to accomplish this feat is about as much fun as me trying to coax her into letting me buy a new pair of EVGA 560Ti's.

On the PC side, you are going to have to either teach your GF how to use the Display settings to identify the monitor she wants to use OR else teach her how to drag the Media Player Window over onto the TV - the system SHOULD pick up the TV as soon as you switch the TV's INPUT source to the port that you've attached the cable to from the PC. Make sure she knows to drag the window back before shutting the PC down or switching the TV INPUT source. That is a pain to fix if you aren't aware what she did before shutting down and she's howling that nothing works.
m
l
December 3, 2011 4:06:28 AM

Ok, so it seems like the DVI -> HDMI adapter is the way to go for the video side and she should have no problem switching the TV back and forth from input. And I'm pretty sure the sound would work fine.. so all that leaves is setting up the resolution for the TV. I myself am a bit confused on this part. When I go to my display options right now, it has a drop down box that shows my current monitor and it's resolution settings. If I hook the TV up to it, will I have a second option in the drop down box and disable the current monitor when I select it? Or would it run as dual monitors and have the same resolution, meaning one of the two would always be wrong? Ideally It would be nice if I could set it up to run both at once at their own respective resolutions and then just control it with the TV via input selection. Is that possible?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2011 4:09:28 AM

Just get a DVI to HDMI adapter and plug it into your TV, you do not have to use the TV speakers if you do not want. All you need to do is adjust your audio output through Windows and then use whatever sound you have hooked up to your computer.

Using a TV as your monitor can be frustrating for normal PC use such as web surfing, word docs, photo editing ect. but that would all depend on how large of TV and how far away you are from your TV. Hope this helps.
m
l
December 3, 2011 4:57:30 AM

Alright guys I think I've got it all figured out. Seems like what I'm wanting to do will work, I'll just have to change the resolution when I want to use the TV. And then teach her how to do it when I'm not home (fuuuunn). I wonder if whatever I have to change it to will make the primary monitor unusable until I change it back.. seems like that could cause problems. Starting to think I should just say forget Hulu/Netflix and go back to DVRing everything lol. So much easier..

Well thank you all for all the help, much appreciated!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2011 1:52:36 AM

each individual input on your tv should adjust automatically depending on what video output your using. I don't see why you would have the need to adjust resolution each time, unless your using the same input for both devices?
m
l
!