I7 2600k vs i7 3770 stock for video editing?

jpastuch

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Hey guys, for the past few weeks I have nervously been trying to put a budget (under 1000) build together for video editing.

I jumped on the chance to get the new Ivy Bridge processors since I had no plans to overclock. I heard IB is not ideal for overclocking so I figured I'd stick to stock and take advantage of the built in GPU since I have no plans on getting a discrete card for a while. I picked up the 3770 at microcenter the other day for $270. However, something told me not to break the seal, and I haven't...so...

I've never OC'd and the extra cost of aftermarket cooler and paste, although not much more of a cost, seemed like a hassle to me. Since this is my first build, I'm going to be nervous enough since I;m not the greatest with mechanical things.

But...not I'm thinking if I should return the 3770 and get a 2600k. Why? well, I plan on editing on this for at least the next FOUR years, so I'm wondering if OCing a 2600k would squeeze out better performance rather than running a stock IB for the next 4 years. I don't know how large of a boost that OC would make for video editing or encoding times.

Anyway, as you can see I'm rambling. Thoughts? I honestly don't want to drive back to Microcenter, which is an hour away, and return it...but if OCing will give me a dramatic difference in future video editing, then I feel like it might be worth it.

jpastuch

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
OK, sounds good (less driving!), was just thinking the OCing on the 2600k may shave off several minutes per rendering...but if I can compensate with GPU and extra RAM and the difference is not HUGE....

I'm just very picky about my components and keep going back and forth! I'm sure you guys understand....

dedekind

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2012
I even think it's possible to overclock the non-K versions.. maybe not as much as the K-versions, and the process could be more difficult (or less easier, depending on your point of view).

JD1337

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
get an aftermarket cooler no matter what, the intel stock coolers will only cool to the 3.4Ghz mark not the "turbo" so if your rendering it will either A) overheat or b and most likely) downclock

SOOO you wioll suffer either way

additionally, DONT buy a computer and expect to use it for 4 years, id say 3 years max before it becomes comparably slow and crap compared to whats around.

both the i7 2600 and the i7 3770 can easily OC to 4.1GHZ.
My 3770 is on a Shuriken slimline cooler and sits at 60 degrees at load @4.1gthz

my 2600 (non k) is on the stock cooler and downclocks at load (sadface)

well worth your time getting aftermarket stuff

oh and just stick with the 3770, i rate it better than my 2600 (but i also didnt give them a fair chance)

With 2600K u can OC to 4.6GHz on $40 air cooler. But if u want to benefit from the speed, get H100 and with luck OC to 4.8GHz maybe even more, if the CPU up to it.

That would kick that 3770 out of the water.

OC on 2600K is so easy, cave man can do it.

What mobo are u getting? And RAM?

U can get the SABERTOOTH Z77, that is great overclocker and comes with 5 year warranty. It lasts and gives high performance every day.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0388088

That would be a set up that would last past Intel Haswell Processors and it still would be a good and speedy set up.

I would suggest CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

HardOCP.com Editor’s Choice
In stock. Limit 20 per customer.

was: $114.99 -> $109.99 -->$94.99 after mail-in rebate card + FREE SHIPPING

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017

11124245665l.png