CrossFire Question

teldara

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I just Crossfire'd my 5850s and looking at the sensors, it looks kinda funky. Not sure if its suppose to be like that.

While playing WoW:
GPU2 is doing all the work load. It's at 80%-100% around 57-65C
While GPU1 is at 0% and 35C on average.

Heaven DX11 Benchmark:
GPU1 is at 60%
GPU2 is at 100%

On Idle its:

GPU1 35C
GPU2 47C (Due to having two monitors on this card)

Is this suppose to be like this? First time crossfiring.

I swapped the cards and same results. I used one at a time to see if it works with one card. Both card works. Just when I crossfire, it has weird results.

Also, I tried plugging one monitor per card. But it doesn't work, only for GPU2

Computer Specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1035T
8GB DDR3
2x HD 5850
ASUS M489GTD Pro/USB3 Mobo
1x Asus 23.5 (?) Monitor at 1920x1080
1x LG 19" Mointor @ 1440x900

tarekwm

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
u need to first of all check the obvious:

1-did u conncet the xfire bridge
2- do u have latest xfire drivers( normal drivers doesnt suppor xfire settings)
3-does ur mobo even support xfire

if all of the above are true then u must keep in mind not all games have xfire support ( kinda sucks i know) . i have previously read that wow doesnt have xfire support so this may be ur problem. try another known xfire supported game and check to verify

teldara

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Not to be rude, but your post extremely ignorant. Did you even read my post other then "WoW"?

1. Obviously. Read the post.
2. All the latest version of Catalyst supports Crossfire. It's 2011, not 2000. The 11.11 supports crossfire and you don't have to get a "special" driver. Do you know what you are taking about?
3. Obviously if I can add two PCI-Ex16 and if you read my post you would've known that. Look at my motherboard I posted

World of Warcraft supports Crossfire. Especially with the D3D11 API. And I've noticed considerable amount of FPS increase. What I stated was is it normal for it to show up as 0% workload. I also stated that I tested with Heaven DX11 benchmark.

Excuse me for being rude, but it just makes me frustrated when people just skim and provide half-assed answers that are redundant.

teldara

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I don't thonk WOW supports crossfire or SLi however i may be wrong.
What other games have you tried and any success?

WoW does support crossfire. It has decent scaling, especially with their DX11 update although not offically announced.

I've tested BF3, getting on average 64FPS on Ultra. So yes, it does work.

Let me bold the question since its apparently hidden in there, lol.

Is it normal for it to show 0% GPU Usage, or is it because the sensors are wrong?
When I restart the computer, the sensors work for a few hours then stays on 0% until I run a heavy benchmarking software like Heaven Benchmark where it jumps to 60% and temp goes higher.

teldara

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
For a start mate calm down with the eager attitude as i know you want a decent answer but pushing and the way you are coming across is not nice.
i said i may be wrong about WOW support as i do not play it.
The numbers in BF3 are pretty spot on AFAIK.
0% in WOW is no coincidence considering WOW can run on a crap gpu with no issues.
I think you have 2 overpowered cards for WOW and crossfire is basically using 2 gpus in a perfect world, however WOW is not punishing enough to stress both cards.
This is all i can think of at this moment mate.

I apologize about the rather rude replies

I was just using WoW as a test, and it happen to be the game I was playing at the moment. I play various of other games. I just thought it was odd that when playing some games I get mixed results in GPU % usage. On the Catalyst Control Center, the sensors don't work unless I restart and it works for the first hour or so then just disappears. I've been using a few monitoring programs like AIDA and MSI Afterburner.

Also, another question if someone knows the answer:
Can I put one monitor per card? I've tried earlier but putting a monitor on GPU1 doesn't work but works for GPU2. (GPU2 is the main GPU, according to my Motherboard.) Tried swapping cards; same results.