Sign in with
Your question

Crt display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2011 5:29:19 AM

I have this pc with crt monitor.
lately i have been seeing vertical wave like distortions on the left side and the text looks blurry like a smudge(its very much readable).it was gone when i removed the vga cable and reseated it to the graphic card.but it returns after like 2 or 3 weeks ..is it failing monitor ,vga cable or the gfx card (hd 4650--dvi to vga converter).btw the monitor is samsung syncmaster 798mb plus 17".

More about : crt display

a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2011 8:27:19 AM

I'd guess the monitor. Heat over the life of CRT monitors would usually end their life, sometimes in smoke, sometimes by losing a color and sometimes by just getting blurry. If it was the vid card it would probably return shortly after reseating the adaptor.
m
l
a c 79 U Graphics card
December 3, 2011 8:44:33 AM

you can try 'degauss' option from your monitor's menu. it won't work all the time. or raise the monitor's refresh rate to 75+ hz. the monitor seems very old so you might notice artifacts like this more often.
if you haven't cleaned the display, try cleaning it.
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2011 10:27:25 AM

i dont mind if it dies(i have a spare lcd) ...i just want to make sure its not the gpu?.btw the refresh rate is 85hz.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 3, 2011 11:26:42 AM

If you have the spare lcd, trying plugging it in and check if it solves your problem
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2011 12:52:18 PM

You need a new monitor.
m
l
!