Sign in with
Your question

What processor do i need using 8 gb ram?

Last response: in CPUs
May 17, 2012 8:26:13 AM

I currently have an e4600 processor and 4Gb ram, The MB has two slots limited to 4GB each. I tried to install 2X 4Gb ram but noticed that CPU usage is almost always at 100% and the computer has slowed down drastically. It doesn't even want to load Chrome. Any help guys?

Thanks!

More about : processor ram

May 17, 2012 8:35:57 AM

Its not a cpu limitation. Sounds like something is wrong.

Does your bios recognize all 8 gigs on your boot screen?
May 17, 2012 8:39:29 AM

Yes it does
Related resources
May 17, 2012 8:50:20 AM

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I didnt know that I have to reset bios after installing the additional ram. I will do as you say and keep you posted. Many thanks mate!!
a c 88 à CPUs
May 17, 2012 10:33:21 AM

test each ramstick individually. but be aware not all motherboards will allow you to stack the ram in all sockets if its running faster than 800/1066.. or if the ram itself isnt made to run in sets of 4. my old amd would let me run 4 sticks of ddr2 800 but wouldnt boot with 4 ddr2 1066 because the 1066 was only supported via oc settings.
i droped it down to near 800 and it booted fine.
May 17, 2012 10:45:39 AM

You should really consider some new upgrade, cause the hardware you have is from the stone age. I also have a core 2 duo (E6400) and i'm about to do some great upgrades.
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2012 10:55:07 AM

makaveli316 said:
You should really consider some new upgrade, cause the hardware you have is from the stone age. I also have a core 2 duo (E6400) and i'm about to do some great upgrades.

Its not from the stone age, if it otherwise does the job he needs it to do then he has no problem with the hardware from that point of view.

Hexit has some good points.

Given it only has two ram slots its probably a low end mobo, it may not support 4GB per stick properly, surprised it gets into windows if thats the case.

Doe you have a Physical address extension in the bios, it should be on.

Did you see 4Gb with your old memory, or only 3.25 both in bios and windows.

May 17, 2012 10:57:52 AM

The CPUs support up to 64GB for a long time. But the older CPUs have the memory controller on the northbridge, making the motherboard the limiting factor. This no more the case for Core i's and Athlon64 or newer.
Anyway, you should either see capped size or reboots/shutdowns, but not 100% CPU usage. That is ususally a result of SW with problems.
PS: PAE setting in BIOS should have no effect on Windows 64 (other than preventing it's boot). Because 64-bit mode requires it, it's not optional.
May 17, 2012 11:36:49 AM

Bios says 8+Gb. I'm performing memtest now. I just replaced the motherboard. The guy at the store said it was good for 8Gb ram. It was running fine with a single 4Gb 1333 DDR3 installed.
May 17, 2012 7:10:53 PM

nosmanta said:
Bios says 8+Gb. I'm performing memtest now. I just replaced the motherboard. The guy at the store said it was good for 8Gb ram. It was running fine with a single 4Gb 1333 DDR3 installed.

oh, so your ram is not from a kit. Combining different ram can cause compatibility problems. Checking your ram setting in bios are they running the same timing?
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2012 8:09:31 PM

erunion said:
oh, so your ram is not from a kit. Combining different ram can cause compatibility problems. Checking your ram setting in bios are they running the same timing?

+1
find the slowest of the pair in terms of timing and force the settings to the slowest timings.

Or, there is a possibility that one of the slots is used to determine the settings for both. so try swapping the sticks around in the two slots (long shot but it might just work)
May 24, 2012 12:14:23 AM

Guys! Sorry for not updating you sooner. The culprit was the motherboard. Good thing it was still on warranty. The PC is running more fluid now. Cheers guys!!!
May 24, 2012 12:39:49 AM

nosmanta said:
Guys! Sorry for not updating you sooner. The culprit was the motherboard. Good thing it was still on warranty. The PC is running more fluid now. Cheers guys!!!

Good to hear.
May 30, 2012 11:57:00 PM

erunion said:
Good to hear.

Cheers mate!
!