Need Advice: D100 vs. 10D vs. N70s - Which is the Best Buy?

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 20, 2005 3:53:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

A good friend of mine is a professional photographer and just last month
went out and bought three new Nikon D2X bodies, and is retiring his old
fleet of Nikon D100's. He's offering me a D100 body, with the vertical
grip/battery attachment for around $725 (going to try to get him to bite at
$700 or lower). I have seen amazing shots that he's taken with the D100 so I
know the output looks good.
I'm wondering if this is a good deal, and should I take it? Or should I pass
and buy a new generation camera (maybe a D70s?) or another used body (maybe
the Canon 10D)? What would anyone recommend doing...

I used to love Nikon's and thought they were top stuff, but have also heard
that they might be a hair behind in the Digital world, and that the Canon's
are a bit better. If I was wanting to splurge I would be looking at the
Canon 20D I think (looks like the best bang for the buck in a new DSLR
body). So I'm slightly wondering about buying the Nikon D100 which was
released three years ago...

I'm trying to keep the price of the body/lens under $1200 if possible (was
looking at the new Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC lens which I can find for $420
new).

I want to be able to take good pictures, but don't want to break the bank. I
have lots of other expensive hobbies as well, so I can't blow all my
disposable cash on the camera thing.

Should I wait until I *can* afford either the Canon 20D or the Nikon N70s
all together? I'm figuring the Canon 20D, with the 'good' lens in the kit
is around $2000, and I'm still going to need a flash.

I always want the latest and greatest, etc. but a good friend of mine who
has an equal gear fetish (but is much more into photography) said "it's not
the camera that's the weak link, it's going to be you... and that the body
while important isn't as important as the glass". So I want a *good* lens
to match or exceed the quality of the body...

Any advice would be really appreciated. Sorry for the long post...

Thanks,
--
Bryan
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

On Fri, 20 May 2005 11:53:04 -0400, "Bryan O. Fenstermacher"
<bryan<~removethisstuff~>@fenstermacher.net> wrote:

>A good friend of mine is a professional photographer and just last month
>went out and bought three new Nikon D2X bodies, and is retiring his old
>fleet of Nikon D100's. He's offering me a D100 body, with the vertical
>grip/battery attachment for around $725 (going to try to get him to bite at
>$700 or lower). I have seen amazing shots that he's taken with the D100 so I
>know the output looks good.
>I'm wondering if this is a good deal, and should I take it? Or should I pass
>and buy a new generation camera (maybe a D70s?) or another used body (maybe
>the Canon 10D)? What would anyone recommend doing...
>
>I used to love Nikon's and thought they were top stuff, but have also heard
>that they might be a hair behind in the Digital world, and that the Canon's
>are a bit better. If I was wanting to splurge I would be looking at the
>Canon 20D I think (looks like the best bang for the buck in a new DSLR
>body). So I'm slightly wondering about buying the Nikon D100 which was
>released three years ago...

I decided to go digital and leaned to Nikon and was looking seriously
at the D100 last fall but after more research and using a Canon 20D
for an afternoon. I went with Canon.

I had no investment in lenses and think Canon had the best lenses...

"The condition of civil affairs in Texas is anomalous,
singular, and unsatisfactory."

Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sherdan
Bvt. Maj. Gen. John A. Rawlins
November 14, 1866
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:55:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

"Bryan O. Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff~>@fenstermacher.net> writes:
> fleet of Nikon D100's. He's offering me a D100 body, with the vertical
> grip/battery attachment for around $725 (going to try to get him to bite at
> $700 or lower). I have seen amazing shots that he's taken with the D100 so I
> know the output looks good.
> I'm wondering if this is a good deal, and should I take it? Or should I pass
> and buy a new generation camera (maybe a D70s?) or another used body (maybe
> the Canon 10D)? What would anyone recommend doing...

If a D100 is what you want, that price is pretty good, but unless you
have a particular reason for wanting a D100, I'd go for a used D70 for
a little bit less or a new D70s for a little bit more. I'd also
consider the comparable Canon offerings including the Rebel XT.
May 20, 2005 11:20:51 PM

Bryan O. Fenstermacher <bryan<~removethisstuff~> wrote:

> I used to love Nikon's and thought they were top stuff, but have also heard
> that they might be a hair behind in the Digital world, and that the Canon's
> are a bit better.

Canon gets stuff out first; whether that makes them better depends, I suppose,
on how much you need the best *right now*. Keeping in mind that getting a
better camera won't make you a better photographer.

> So I'm slightly wondering about buying the Nikon D100 which was
> released three years ago...

The D100 is a bit dated at this point. But, right now, you're really choosing
between the Nikon and Canon systems, not the particular cameras; whatever
camera you buy now, you'll replace it eventually, but you'll still have the
lenses and they'll still work fine, and you'll spend more on them than on
the camera.

I think the lenses are one excellent reason to choose Nikon over Canon. You
have an excellent choice of a wealth of great lenses.

If this is your first SLR camera, I'd recommend the used D100. A shiny new
20D won't be any better for you, but will be a lot more expensive. You can
upgrade later. You'll know when it's time.

> I'm trying to keep the price of the body/lens under $1200 if possible (was
> looking at the new Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC lens which I can find for $420
> new).

If you go Nikon, the 18-70 "kit lens" is a very good lens and is cheaper than
that.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

"Bryan O. Fenstermacher @fenstermacher.net>" <bryan<~removethisstuff~> wrote
in message news:T-adnVt7pdQpmhPfRVn-3Q@speakeasy.net...

> I'm trying to keep the price of the body/lens under $1200 if possible (was
> looking at the new Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC lens which I can find for
> $420 new).

You can buy a new D70s with a Nikon 18-70mm lens for $1200. From all
reports, the D100 is a fine camera--but you should be aware that if you buy
it used, there's no warranty at all.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:15:32 AM

"Andrew Koenig" <ark@acm.org> wrote in message
> "Bryan O. Fenstermacher @fenstermacher.net>" <bryan<~removethisstuff~>
> wrote in message news:T-adnVt7pdQpmhPfRVn-3Q@speakeasy.net...
>
>> I'm trying to keep the price of the body/lens under $1200 if possible
>> (was looking at the new Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC lens which I can find
>> for $420 new).
>
> You can buy a new D70s with a Nikon 18-70mm lens for $1200. From all
> reports, the D100 is a fine camera--but you should be aware that if you
> buy it used, there's no warranty at all.

D100 is an excellent camera, but not for anywhere near that price. If
you're ready to commit to Nikon (remember, you're choosing a system), then a
well priced D100 is a good start. The D70 isn't significantly better (I've
owned both and sold the D70 when I got the D2X).

Tom
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:15:33 AM

> "Andrew Koenig" <ark@acm.org> wrote in message
>> "Bryan O. Fenstermacher @fenstermacher.net>" <bryan<~removethisstuff~>
>> wrote in message news:T-adnVt7pdQpmhPfRVn-3Q@speakeasy.net...
>>
>>> I'm trying to keep the price of the body/lens under $1200 if possible
>>> (was looking at the new Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC lens which I can find
>>> for $420 new).
>>
>> You can buy a new D70s with a Nikon 18-70mm lens for $1200. From all
>> reports, the D100 is a fine camera--but you should be aware that if you
>> buy it used, there's no warranty at all.
>>

> D100 is an excellent camera, but not for anywhere near that price. If
> you're ready to commit to Nikon (remember, you're choosing a system), then
> a well priced D100 is a good start. The D70 isn't significantly better
> (I've owned both and sold the D70 when I got the D2X).
>
> Tom
The D70 has a rebate, which I think is good until the end of June. If you
get the camera and lens you can get $100USD back from Nikon. So it will run
around $1100. It is a good camera and is better than the D100. The D2X is
a little pricy for someone who is trying to save.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:15:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

What would be an approrate price for a used Nikon D100? If not $700 for a
used one, then what? I have been seeing D100's go for between $630-700 used
on eBay, and $730-800 new on eBay. But I also know sometimes eBay doesn't
have the best prices...

Thanks,
Bryan

> "Andrew Koenig" <ark@acm.org> wrote in message
>> "Bryan O. Fenstermacher @fenstermacher.net>" <bryan<~removethisstuff~>
>> wrote in message news:T-adnVt7pdQpmhPfRVn-3Q@speakeasy.net...
>>
>>> I'm trying to keep the price of the body/lens under $1200 if possible
>>> (was looking at the new Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC lens which I can find
>>> for $420 new).
>>
>> You can buy a new D70s with a Nikon 18-70mm lens for $1200. From all
>> reports, the D100 is a fine camera--but you should be aware that if you
>> buy it used, there's no warranty at all.
>>

> D100 is an excellent camera, but not for anywhere near that price. If
> you're ready to commit to Nikon (remember, you're choosing a system), then
> a well priced D100 is a good start. The D70 isn't significantly better
> (I've owned both and sold the D70 when I got the D2X).
>
> Tom

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:15:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

What is a good price for a D100?

> "Andrew Koenig" <ark@acm.org> wrote in message
>> "Bryan O. Fenstermacher @fenstermacher.net>" <bryan<~removethisstuff~>
>> wrote in message news:T-adnVt7pdQpmhPfRVn-3Q@speakeasy.net...
>>
>>> I'm trying to keep the price of the body/lens under $1200 if possible
>>> (was looking at the new Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC lens which I can find
>>> for $420 new).
>>
>> You can buy a new D70s with a Nikon 18-70mm lens for $1200. From all
>> reports, the D100 is a fine camera--but you should be aware that if you
>> buy it used, there's no warranty at all.
>>

> D100 is an excellent camera, but not for anywhere near that price. If
> you're ready to commit to Nikon (remember, you're choosing a system), then
> a well priced D100 is a good start. The D70 isn't significantly better
> (I've owned both and sold the D70 when I got the D2X).
>
> Tom

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 2:37:18 AM

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote in message
> "Bryan O. Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff~>@fenstermacher.net>
writes:
> > fleet of Nikon D100's. He's offering me a D100 body, with the vertical
> > grip/battery attachment for around $725 (going to try to get him to bite
at
> > $700 or lower). I have seen amazing shots that he's taken with the D100
so I
> > know the output looks good.
> > I'm wondering if this is a good deal, and should I take it? Or should I
pass
> > and buy a new generation camera (maybe a D70s?) or another used body
(maybe
> > the Canon 10D)? What would anyone recommend doing...
>
> If a D100 is what you want, that price is pretty good, but unless you
> have a particular reason for wanting a D100, I'd go for a used D70 for
> a little bit less or a new D70s for a little bit more. I'd also
> consider the comparable Canon offerings including the Rebel XT.

i second that. having worked with both the d100 and d70, i would _not_ spend
a cent more on the d100 than the d70. they both are great cams, just the d70
is 2 years newer - and with the new version out now, i am sure there will be
quite a few used ones up for grabs...

sid
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:08:15 AM

Mike Kohary <no@spam.please> writes:
> What your friend really means is that you're choosing a system, not a
> camera. You'll replace the camera from time to time, but you'll want
> to invest in a line of lenses that you'll keep forever. The lenses
> are far more important than the body they're attached to, and if you
> eventually want great lenses, you'll spend more on them than you do on
> your camera body.

Nah. My Nikon MF lenses are near useless with a D70. My early
(non-D) Nikon AF lenses, of which I have several, are still sort of
useful, but can't use the fancy flash metering. The AF-D lenses (I
actually don't have any of these) I believe are still lacking some CPU
feature of the latest lenses but I'm not sure of this. AF-S DX G VR,
now we're getting somewhere.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 7:43:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

I have the D70. I shoot raw and love it.
Two reasons for the purchase:
1: I already am into the Nikon system thus have a lot of lenses to choose
from, even though in theory a "digital" will be better. I have not done any
comparative test chart tests - I really photograph people, not test charts
;-)
2: The higher flash sync of 1/500th of a second.
Have fun, make pictures,
Tom

!