Can anyone here help?

pappy55uk

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Its possible my card has died but its stil pretty new 8 months maybe so it's unlikly.
It was also absolutly fine till i updated to the 11.11 Catalyst drivers. Im in the process of backing up everything on my system.
I'm going to re install windows just in case the driver broke somthing in the windows core files.

Full Specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 @3.2ghz (stock speed)
ASUS M4A78LT-M
ATI HD 6870 1GB
8GB Ram DDR3
WD 1Tb HDD (c)
WD 250 gn HFF (d)
Samsung BD-Rom (e)
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

pappy55uk

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
OK so I have re installed WIN 7..
Installed the driver I had which was stable before the problems started

I run FurMark to test and every time I get this crash which i was talking about with the lines before..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdjbdi0n6rw
not my video but the crash is identical

So I am seriously thinking my card is dead
FRESH VANILLA OS INSTALL
FRESH DRIVER (Previously stable)
Problems persists..

pappy55uk

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
UPDATE!

I have requested an RMA on my card..

I also decided to delve deeper into my problem.. I refuse to be defeated with computers :p

I tripple checked everything and decided to run FurMark once again and notised the Temprature readout.. the crash happened in the mid 70's so I tested again as was able to repeat it..

I used CCC to set the fan speed to 60% manual and ran the test again after 35mins at 99% GUP load with an avarge temp of 64 degrees..

De ja vous for me as this exact heat issue I now remember I had on an old X800 series card a few years ago which turned me to Nvidia in the first place.

I have what appears a stable system but it sounds like a 747 now..

Dogsnake

Distinguished
You may need to open a new thread in a different forum, but sounds like you may have case/system cooling issues. Not saying the card is not bad but you stiil might want to look at your overall cooling solution. Most 6870's dump hot air back into the case and depend on the case cooling to remove it.

pappy55uk

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
*UPDATE*

OK I read somwhere in the depths of the interwebs that Power Management options in windows can inferfeer with gfx cards..
I have neevr known or had it cause problems to anyone I know or myself.

So I was skeptical but as read I set the power setting to "High Performance"
Reset the CCC options to deafult.

Ran Furmark burn-in on max settings and went out for a while..
I just came home almost 5 Hours later

Test has been running 4hours 40mins without a crash stable at 82degrees (thats with auto fan settings too)

I don't know how or why but computers are funny things..
Ever since Vista the power options has NEVER caused problems.

Even this build was running fine for 6-7months fine till the other day. I would be money on a windows update causeing somthing.

So if anyone else out there having gfx card issues with the grey screen try this fix..

My case has adquate cooling..
there is a 120mm fan at the top
and another smaller one just above the gfx card the air being vented does not feel anymore warmer than room temp

I will keep an eye on the system for 24hours to make sure but alost 5hours at 100% gfx card load souns stable to me