Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC shuts off after few Mins OR Secs

Last response: in Components
May 17, 2012 2:51:30 PM

I just had a machine givin to me from a friend, they didnt want it since it just started to randomly turn off on them so they pulled the HDD from it and gave it to me.

SPECS:
ECS GeForce 6100SM-M (V1.0/1.0A) MOBO
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core
480w PSU
2x1GB OCz Technology Dual Ch PC2 6400 RAM

so i went and bought a new HDD for it i got a Seagate Baracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA drive so i could get to trying to trouble shoot the PC.

the problem is soon as i turn it on you see the black screen come up with the specs and you get the option to enter boot menu or setup and sometimes the PC will turn right back off and sometimes it will let me into the setup or boot screen. but half the time it turns off while im in the setup screen or as soon as i select the removable drive in the boot screen it will turn off.

i have checked all cables they are tight everything is clean from dust, all fans are clean and new and do turn on, i have also tried taking one stick of RAM out and trying to boot then swapping RAM and SLOTs and still nothing changes. could the be a bad PSU or RAM or MOBO?

More about : shuts mins secs

a c 694 ) Power supply
May 17, 2012 2:57:31 PM

Between the PSU and the mobo! If you could try another PSU you would know.
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
May 17, 2012 3:15:36 PM

Another thing to check is to see if the CMOS battery is dead.
m
l
Related resources
May 17, 2012 3:20:29 PM

May be you should get your mobo checked.

Will you please let us know from how long your friend was using that machine?
m
l
May 17, 2012 3:25:37 PM

i thought about going to grab another PSU to cry on my way home today as well as a new CMOS batt while im there, un sure of how long the usage was if i were to guess i would say a year or year and a half i believe?
m
l
May 17, 2012 3:40:11 PM

If your guess is correct then it might be that your PSU is the problem.

Which company psu do you have right now?
m
l
May 17, 2012 3:44:18 PM

that i do not know i looked on my way out this morning at the watts so i knew something close i should get and didnt get a brand name it was i believe a 480W PSU but i have thought about upgrading. but im unsure if its worth upgrading since there doesnt seem to be anything special about the current MOBO or anything inside it, and id like to do my own decent build of a machine soon. any recommendations of what PSU to replace with? also is bad RAM ruled out in this? or is it possible the RAM could be the issue?
m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
May 17, 2012 3:48:46 PM

Ram is easy to rule out by trying one stick at a time, would be strange if both gone bad at a same time.
m
l
May 17, 2012 3:54:54 PM

alright well seems everyone i have asked is leaning more torwards the PSU being bad so i will go try and pick up a new one after work. just curious if the PSU was bad wouldnt the machine not even come on?
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
May 17, 2012 3:59:37 PM

dgriffith29 said:
alright well seems everyone i have asked is leaning more torwards the PSU being bad so i will go try and pick up a new one after work. just curious if the PSU was bad wouldnt the machine not even come on?

If the major rail on the power supply is running out of spec it will also cause the symptoms you are describing.
m
l
May 17, 2012 4:03:38 PM

ok GREAT! thanks a ton for the info and the quick responses i will try a new PSU first
m
l
May 17, 2012 4:24:21 PM

dgriffith29 said:
ok GREAT! thanks a ton for the info and the quick responses i will try a new PSU first

It sounds like the PSU but I had run across issues with ECS mobo's before my last one did the same thing it boots shut down, I can see bios but then it would stop again. Do you get any "Cmos checksum" errors? or have you ever seem it on your BIOS message?
m
l
May 17, 2012 4:27:47 PM

XmortisX said:
It sounds like the PSU but I had run across issues with ECS mobo's before my last one did the same thing it boots shut down, I can see bios but then it would stop again. Do you get any "Cmos checksum" errors? or have you ever seem it on your BIOS message?

nope i dont see any errors at all i will boot up and i try to get to the boot menu so i can select removable storage then i select it and as soon as i hit enter on the flash drive it shuts it down
m
l
May 17, 2012 8:05:17 PM

ok UPDATE...
i went and got a new PSU and installed it... got everything hooked up and triple checked to make sure of tight connections.... no changes, it still does the exact same thing. so i went back and did the ram and tried 1 stick then swapped then also tried moving slots... no change... does this mean MOBO for sure? :pfff: 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 17, 2012 8:30:56 PM

sound like there a bad cap on the mb. but before i rule it out i would bare bone the pc. just have one stick of ram and the video car..no drives plugged in or anything and see if the error happens. if it does power off the pc and check the cpu and heat sink if the thermal paste has dried out or it lose the cpu can be over heating and shutting the pc down.
m
l
May 17, 2012 8:39:25 PM

This sounds more like a thermal issue to me. Check for proper CPU heat sink mounting.
m
l
May 17, 2012 9:58:11 PM

Well I took heat sink off and cleaned it out and the thermal past seemed kind of dry... And it is all mounted properly and how could it be a heat issue? If the machine won't stay o. Longer than 15 seconds?
m
l
May 18, 2012 3:39:17 AM

Nothing seems to be bulging anywhere on the board ;-/
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
May 18, 2012 4:56:08 AM

They can be very hard to spot sometimes. Sometimes its easier to feel the slight rise with a finger than actually see it. it can also bulge or leak out the botton
May 18, 2012 11:06:41 AM

Nevermind I stand corrected I found 2 that are bulging. so guess its gona be time to replace the board? need something that will work with everything i have

NEW 550W Logisys PSU
older nVidia GeForce 7900gs pci-e 512 ddr2 Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi SB0460 7.1-Channel PCI Sound Card
2x1GB OCz Technology Dual Ch PC2 6400 RAM
Seagate 2TB Barracuda 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+

not wanting to go dump a TON of cash (hundreds ) into this but something to get me going and wont really lag. i want to know is there somewhat of a decent board out there? or maybe i should also look at upgrading the CPU? any decent ones yall would recommend?
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 18, 2012 12:10:17 PM

+1 Good choice for a mobo replacement.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 18, 2012 12:22:23 PM

If the 7900GS can hold you over for a bit, then I would be tempted to wait for some of nVidia's new releases in the GTX 660 and below range....there is a price war brewing.

If you want to go ahead and upgrade the GPU, then the best price/performance value is currently the HD6850s. You can get them for about $130 after MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
May 18, 2012 12:24:19 PM

ill be looking into it i know i will upgrade my card soon... but i have never been an ATI fan always been using nVidia
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 18, 2012 12:32:19 PM

Everybody has a preference...mine has always been price/performance. If you want to go nVidia and don't want to go top end, then wait for some of the new mid-range GTX600 series GPUs are released and available. If you're doing all of these upgrades, then I would certainly upgrade the PSU. Logisys *shiver of fear*
m
l
May 18, 2012 12:33:45 PM

lol woulda been good to know yesterday when i bought that PSU haha thats the one the guy told me i should get...... wonderful lol
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 18, 2012 12:38:50 PM

If you weren't upgrading, then I would say that it would be ok...low-end system with a low-end PSU is not that big of a deal IMHO. When you start putting together a modern PC, then you need to put in a quality PSU.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 18, 2012 12:39:16 PM

Potential to return the PSU?
m
l
May 18, 2012 12:44:19 PM

ok well there is a local store offers these 3 mobo i found what do yall think? this first one they drop the price to $89.99 if i purchase it with the i5 processor (which is my plan) http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

then there is another one with the same offer
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

then this last one they will drop price to 114 if bought with the i5
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
whats yalls thoughts on these? and sounds like i really need to take that psu back? he asked what it was going in i told him and he asked if i had any of the LED fans i said yes with a clear side on the case so he told me that PSU would be great since it was acrylic and clear and lit up....
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 18, 2012 1:07:51 PM

Any one of those mobos is good. Looking good isn't as important as running good and reliably...you already know my opinion on the PSU. :) 
m
l
May 18, 2012 1:10:24 PM

lol i can care less about looks i want a machine that will run.... lol and run good with no probs lol alright will i will go pick up one of those mobo today then with the i5 CPU.....AND also take that PSU back lol and get something better
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 18, 2012 2:22:28 PM

Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and XFX are all great PSUs. Want me to take a look at the site where you intend to purchase the PSU?
m
l
May 18, 2012 2:27:27 PM

so here will be the new set-up let me know what ya think

Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard ( http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... )

Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor ( http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... )

4GB DDR3-1066 (PC3-8500) CL7 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 2GB Memory Modules) ( http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... )

Seagate 2TB Barracuda 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache

PSU (ideas?) undecided???
what else am i missing? cpu cooler?
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 18, 2012 2:30:03 PM

I've got some recommendations from the MicroCenter site you used. In order:
1. Antec HCG 520: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Great PSU made by Seasonic and based on the Seasonic S12II series PSUs. I have the Seasonic and it is Awesome! Rock solid rails, quiet, efficient and 5 yr warranty.
2. Antec Basiq 450W: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Note: This may not be able to handle some of the mid-level GPUs and is not 80+ Bronze. I'd only get it if money was a serious issue.
3. OCZ ModXstream 600W: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
More power than you need and you have to wait for the rebate. After rebate it is less expensive than the HCG, but I'd stick with the HCG.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 18, 2012 2:32:55 PM

You can use the stock cooler if you're not OCing. If it gets too loud, then you could look at something like the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Evo for $30-35. Other than that you look pretty good on parts. Thoroughly clean out the case after you remove the old parts and before you install the new ones.
m
l
May 18, 2012 2:39:39 PM

GREAT!! :bounce:  thanks for the info glad the setup will work well lol and thanks for the input on the PSU.. i will be sure i get that fixed today lol.... and on the cooler... does the new CPU come with one or the mobo? or are you talking bout me taking the one off thats currently in the machine now on the AMD CPU?
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 18, 2012 4:03:06 PM

The AMD cooler will not work with the Intel CPU. If it is a boxed CPU (not OEM) then the CPU will come with a cooler; the mobo will never come with a CPU cooler.

Glad I could help - good luck with the build and let us know if you need any help. I recommend breadboarding a new build prior to assembling it inside the case. Breadboarding: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.ht...
m
l
June 28, 2012 1:21:24 PM

Best answer selected by dgriffith29.
m
l
!