Need help Troubleshooting

Ryan3636

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hello,

First time poster reporting in. I'm in the process of building a computer for a friend of mine. Specs are:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-VPro
VGA: Galaxy 58NLH5HS3PXZ GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

At first boot up I would hear the board post but it wouldnt display on the monitor and the Red VGA video card light would be on. I tried a few more times and a few of the times I got the beep code for the video card. So I took out the video card and the Computer boots with integrated video no problem with display. I went ahead and installed windows. Next I put in the videocard again and realized that the portion of the video card near the brackets wasn't being seated all the way. I can not figure out what is impeading it's path so I figured I'll just scew the video card into the brackets with my Heman strength. Success...sort of.

So then the computer boots and displays on the monitor. I go into windows and put in the driver cd that came with the card. About 50% into the installation the monitor turns black again. I'm trying to recall from last night but I'm 90% sure the VGA led didn't turn on either. Now when I try to boot it will display for a second and I get a glimpse of bios posting before my monitor turns to the "No HDMI detected" screen. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to try next.

vertical777

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
re-seat the card and be sure that it fits snugly into place and it "locks" into the pci-e slot, check the back panel of the case if it's bent. it shouldn't take too much effort to secure the video card into place. also be sure that the motherboard screw holes are aligned to the standoffs properly. and finally make sure that the hdmi cable is not loose.

Ryan3636

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I've tried to reseat the card many times and this is as far into the machine as I can get it short of using pliers to bend the bracket on the video card. Actually I did have to do that on my GTX 580 so it would fit into the case. I'm just afraid of being to aggressive with this one since it's my friends and in case it needs to be RMA'd. They probably wouldn't be happy if the bracket was all torn up I imagine. Now as far as the motherboard screw holes, I did have an issue were the holes were not lining up 100%. I mean I managed to get all the screws in but they did not go in super easy since they were all slightly off center of the holes in the motherboard. I always thought that if it was a problem with stand-off's you wouldn't even be able to boot. I mean it works when I use the integrated video on the motherboard.

Ryan3636

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I've reseated the card again, I did bend these little prongs that I believe were impeading it with pliers. That is what I had to do for my gtx580 in order for it to sit properly. I have the same case as well. Unfortuantly this did not fix the problem. I cant get anything to display on the screen now when I turn it on. On most boots I dont get any bios code beeps but sometimes I get the video card code plus the VGA red LED light. Does anyone think they would refuse an RMA because I bent the prongs on the bracket? I could bend them back but you can see the marks from the teeth of the pliers. I mean really...the bracket has nothing to do with the card...

Also I've tried all video outputs..both DVI plugs and m-HDMI

Still works fine with onboard video...I would test it with my video card but since I had such an issue to get mine fit in the first place, I'm very hesitant to take out mine since it's been working perfectly for a year now.