Sign in with
Your question

Should I get a new computer or just a new graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2011 1:48:28 PM

So I don't play much games but I am very exited for the upcoming Star Wars the Old Republic MMO, and I played beta today and noticed that my fps isn't doing too great. I have about 20-30 fps max on low settings.

And I was wondering if anyone could help me and tell me what to do, I know that MMOs need good CPU but my current motherboard can't support any other then what I have. ( well it can but I'd rather buy a whole new desktop because the options are isn't that great for this motherboard)

So here's my question, Should I get a new whole desktop or just upgrade my video card for Star Wars the Old Republic.

My current specs are.

cpu - AMD quad core 2.2ghz
4g of ram
video card - GeForce 9800 GT
motherboard - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

and I have 550w power supply if anyone needs that info

I always though that my CPU is the one that makes my FPS be so low because I heared that MMOs require good CPUs
but what if I just buy a better video card?

Thanks for reading, hope someone will help me.

More about : computer graphics card

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2011 4:05:27 PM

In order to get good game play, you need an upgrade to the system. A new video card will be bottlenecked by the rest of the system.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 107 V Motherboard
December 3, 2011 4:15:14 PM

At first buy a new video card , what you can keep if in near future you will upgrade to a new system.
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2011 4:28:44 PM

chesteracorgi said:
In order to get good game play, you need an upgrade to the system. A new video card will be bottlenecked by the rest of the system.

This is seriously dependent on WHICH AMD quad-core he has. For example, a Phenom I ( AM2+ ) quad such as an X4 9950BE coupled with DDR2 400 or 800 memory is somewhat weaker than, say a Phenom II X4 940BE, and even weaker STILL than a Phenom II X4 965BE ( AM3 ) coupled with DDR3 memory.

Oblamot, please list your specific AMD quad-core, we can go from there. As it stands, you could probably double or even triple your GPU power from that 4 year old 9800 GT without being bottlenecked by your CPU...IF it's something AM2+ or later.

Regards.
m
l
December 3, 2011 5:56:35 PM

My CPU is AMD Phenom 9559 Quad Core Processor 2.20GHz

I dunno, people keep saying that I should just buy a new rig.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
a c 106 V Motherboard
December 3, 2011 6:33:56 PM

I would suggest a new graphics card, even the old amd quads have enough power to game. Then if you still aren't getting the fps you want then you can reuse the gpu and upgrade to a new rig.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2011 6:43:43 PM

Yeah, though you can get a Phenom II X4 925 for $80 right now if your mobo supports AM3 CPUs - that would be a good bit better than what you have right now, and an HD 6870 can be had for about $160.
m
l
December 3, 2011 7:21:26 PM

jessterman21 said:
Yeah, though you can get a Phenom II X4 925 for $80 right now if your mobo supports AM3 CPUs - that would be a good bit better than what you have right now, and an HD 6870 can be had for about $160.

I'd want that to be true but I am not sure if my motherboard can run x4 925

my motherboard - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...
m
l
December 3, 2011 10:52:51 PM

k1114 said:
I would suggest a new graphics card, even the old amd quads have enough power to game. Then if you still aren't getting the fps you want then you can reuse the gpu and upgrade to a new rig.

Agreed.
m
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 238 V Motherboard
December 3, 2011 11:24:04 PM

I suspect that you have a reasonably balanced system, and that both a cpu and gpu upgrade is in order.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 4, 2011 12:07:40 AM

+1
m
l
!