Should I get a new computer or just a new graphics card?

oblamot

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
So I don't play much games but I am very exited for the upcoming Star Wars the Old Republic MMO, and I played beta today and noticed that my fps isn't doing too great. I have about 20-30 fps max on low settings.

And I was wondering if anyone could help me and tell me what to do, I know that MMOs need good CPU but my current motherboard can't support any other then what I have. ( well it can but I'd rather buy a whole new desktop because the options are isn't that great for this motherboard)

So here's my question, Should I get a new whole desktop or just upgrade my video card for Star Wars the Old Republic.

My current specs are.

cpu - AMD quad core 2.2ghz
4g of ram
video card - GeForce 9800 GT
motherboard - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01635734&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3856272#N513

and I have 550w power supply if anyone needs that info

I always though that my CPU is the one that makes my FPS be so low because I heared that MMOs require good CPUs
but what if I just buy a better video card?

Thanks for reading, hope someone will help me.

navair2

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

This is seriously dependent on WHICH AMD quad-core he has. For example, a Phenom I ( AM2+ ) quad such as an X4 9950BE coupled with DDR2 400 or 800 memory is somewhat weaker than, say a Phenom II X4 940BE, and even weaker STILL than a Phenom II X4 965BE ( AM3 ) coupled with DDR3 memory.

Oblamot, please list your specific AMD quad-core, we can go from there. As it stands, you could probably double or even triple your GPU power from that 4 year old 9800 GT without being bottlenecked by your CPU...IF it's something AM2+ or later.

Regards.

oblamot

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011

navair2

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

Agreed.

I suspect that you have a reasonably balanced system, and that both a cpu and gpu upgrade is in order.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.