ISO Approval: Today's CyberPower Purchase

sramarino

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I will be purchasing (today) the following system for my husband (gamer) for Valentines Day. I'd like any last minute adjustments, substitutions you feel might be worth it, or simply a "Sounds awesome; hubby's a lucky man!" thumbs up. Please, if you feel another part should be favored over what's listed below, tell me!!! Thanks!

CASE: Xion Predator 970 Gaming Series Mid Tower Case w/ 2 External Removable HDD Bays

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)

FAN: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan

HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX)

MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ BT GO! Lucid Virtu and Intel SRT & 7.1 HD Audio, Intel GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2x Gen3 & 1x Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)

POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

SOUND: * Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Channels PCI Xonar DG Sound Card

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

No keyboard, mouse, or monitor needed - have all those already - and I'm sitting on a copy of Windows HP 64-bit, so that's not necessary either. ;-)

Everything sounds OK except I would really like to hear more about the power supply.

I think it might be from Corsair, but it would be really nice if you can find out about this.

The brand of the PSU maker is the #1 most important thing about it andsome maker's of PSUs should really start selling their PSUs as paperweights instead.

Anything else you can give me on that so I can investigate it more would be really good.

- Edit - Make sure you select that you should get Batman Arkham City and Just Cause 2 for free. You lose nothing and I will take them if he already has them, or you can give them to somebody else if you know other gamers that don't have them.

Also, I went on their website and you should definitely choose the Corsair 850w if you want that much. I saw that they don't provide any more info about that PSU and that the Corsair is a different one.

That being said, you only need 850w if you think you will want to get a 2nd 560 TI later, which I wouldn't suggest.

If you think more should be spent on graphics performance, I would highly suggest getting 1x a better card now instead of 2x a worse card later. 1x a better video card is both cheaper in the long run and gives you much much less in the way of problems.

1x a better video card allows you to save a lot of money on the PSU and your power bills.

You can get a 580 for $210 more and scale back to a good 650w and make up the rest in power bills in the first year or two that you don't have a 2nd 560 TI installed.

If you don't want a 2nd card ever OR if you are willing to go with 1x a better card, then get get the Corsair TX 650w instead of the PSU you chose.

If you want to stick with the 560TI and you don't want to take the 1x better card advice, then get the Corsair 850w instead of the one you picked.

850 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI

sramarino

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

I think I will upgrade it to: Raidmax RX-850AE 80 Plus Gold Power Supply - if you think that's a wise choice. It's still 850 watts, when the recommendation is 700 watts.

You should rule out every PSU on that list that is not from Corsair, in my opinion.

Raidmax, Thermaltake, Cooler Master, ones that don't even say the brand, those are all going to put out half of what they say on the label.

Corsair is the only brand on their website that can reasonably be trusted to deliver the power it says it does.

- Edit - In case it makes any difference, I would hazard a guess that 99% of people on this website will agree with the above.

sramarino

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

Okay ... Corsair it is!! I am trying to "future-proof" this PC as much as is possible. Thank you for all of your help!!

galeener

Distinguished
yes any one of their standard power supplys is bad they are either xtreme gear branded or cyberpower branded.
the raid max actually got decent reveiws but you really cant go wrong with corsair, silverstone and then thermaltake.

And per the above post it depends on the series of the power supply from coolermaster and thermaltake. And silverstone supplys are usually very high quality.