Sign in with
Your question

My new build. Could use some input please.

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2012 1:27:57 PM

HI everyone. Posted this in the wrong forum, so I'm reposting here. Sorry about that.

I'm about to build a new rig. I have about 1100.00 - 1200.00 bucks (U.S) to build it. I have all the basic stuff, keyboard, mouse, monitor (1920x1080), 3TB drive, DVD, etc. I'm looking for input on what I've picked out for the meat and potatoes of the rig. Is there something you would change or do differently. I would prefer Intel right now, cause AMD doesn't offer anything A.T.M. for me.

It's going to be a gaming computer 80%, web serf 10% and I'll be watching movies/TV shows on it the rest of the time. Probably hooking it up to my 42 inch flat screen for the movies. I need to last about 5 years. Right now I play Skyrim, Mass Effect, SWTOR, etc. I see what I have picked out as being upgradable for a while. I'll probably mildly overclock it.

I'm going to use just one video card A.T.M. I can always get another one later on.

This is what I have picked out. I can't go over the 1200.00 mark. The one thing I see in this build that I might be able to do better is the memory, possibly. I like it's timings but I'm kind of concerned with the clearance between it and the CPU cooler. I'm looking at what you all might suggest to change, or if you think something might be better. I'm not totally sold on the SSD right now, I could do without it. That's just a bling item A.T.M.

Here's the build. What do you think? I don't need it to blow the doors off the house, I just want it to run smooth and be upgradable with decent FPS.

CASE:
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 ATX Mid Tower

GPU:
HIS IceQ X Turbo Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

PSU:
CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 850W PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Power Supply

MEMORY:
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

MOBO:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

CPU:
Intel Core i5-2500K

CPU COOLER:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

SSD:
Crucial M4 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

More about : build input

February 2, 2012 2:08:09 PM

The SSD is good as it gives you a cache drive, but it's up to you if you want the speed. Good system build there, +1 sosofm's suggestions.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2012 2:28:32 PM

sosofm said:
Change the memory with this low profile because will not interfere with any CPU cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... the diference between CL9 and CL7 its seen just in benchmarks , for gaming and normal user is not big diference and is just 50$.
This Asus motherboard support Crossfire and is 180$ not 210$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Its a good build.

Good call sosofm, thanks! The only real difference between the two MOBO’s is 4 x SATA 6Gb/s and 2 x SATA 6Gb/s and firewire. I’m cool with that!

I’ll change up the memory too!
m
l
February 2, 2012 2:32:22 PM

diellur said:
The SSD is good as it gives you a cache drive, but it's up to you if you want the speed. Good system build there, +1 sosofm's suggestions.

Thanks diellur. I’ll use sosofm's suggestions and that will make it all the more easier to justify the SSD. I’ll probably get it. I might even get a slightly bigger one.
m
l
!