Sign in with
Your question
Closed

To i3 or i5 for a htpc

Last response: in CPUs
January 31, 2012 9:06:39 AM

Hello,
Not sure where to post this question , so may have posted it another forum too.
have read a few threads and still a little confused. For one -I hardly game, but would like to have the option. My friend has a very an htpc but he also has a very expensive dac, with spidf converters etc.). Please advice if the following is true-

Sound related -
1. I believe most GPUs carry high end audio in a pure form to ones receiver / amplifier through hdmi. Therefore no sound card required.
BUT
At the same time is it true motherboards and processors like the i series etc wouldnt even require a GPU for even lossless sound output upto 192kHz / 24-bit?

I have all my music in Flac in 3 HDDs (1tb+1tb+2tb)
I would like to connect two systems -
1. to my amplifier to my electrostat speakers for stereo sound.
2. to my marantz sr7005 for a 7.1 sound.

Do i get a GPU?

Video related-

Like sound the newer Mobos and processors have bluray outs, hd graphics and video that i have read but will the suffice for the following needs-

Having the options of gaming in the future,

I have a 3D projector the JVC X30, also a 52" HDTV LED tv. Both capable of 1080p , 3D, projector as high as 1080p/60, 1080p/24, 1080p/50.

Have wired my house with ethernet cabling as i find the lag on wireless annoying.

Question again to GPU or not.

Heres how i thought instead of an i5 which i had almost picked up, get the cheaper i3 ,
with a better gpu.

Having said that there is the question of which GPU, end of the day what i believe is any of the good gpus should be fine, so please advice me the best GPU bang for the buck. Loads of threads suggest between the GTX 460 < HD6850 < GTX 560 < HD6870 < GTX 560 Ti < HD6950.

Are all these over kill.

Space related-
A cabinet that looks nice as well as practical, either one can get a smart black colored tower or get fancy with antec or silverstone. What i am worried is we get very hot temperatures where i am during summer, and too many fans would mean lots of noise. But at the same time want to atleast install min 3 upto 5 HDDs,
Also some GPUs fit in some mobos some are too big for cabinets, would the above mentioned gpus fit with 4 hdd in something like a Antec fusion remote.

RAM i think 4 gb ddr3 (1333) would do just fine.

PSU - corsair 430 80+ or more keeping in mind the HDDs.

Bluray - 12x LG/plextor/samsung whichever is the cheapest i'll pick up as one person seems to have had a good experience with one and another has had a bad.

TV tuner, i run my daily viewing from a HD cable with a built in recorder, (tivo is what you call it in the US i think).
Please help me bring together a good htpc.
All your inputs will be appreciated.

aj

More about : htpc

January 31, 2012 9:08:50 AM

Hello,
Hello,
have read a few threads and still a little confused. For one -I hardly game, but would like to have the option. My friend has a very an htpc but he also has a very expensive dac, with spidf converters etc.). Please advice if the following is true-

Sound related -
1. I believe most GPUs carry high end audio in a pure form to ones receiver / amplifier through hdmi. Therefore no sound card required.
BUT
At the same time is it true motherboards and processors like the i series etc wouldnt even require a GPU for even lossless sound output upto 192kHz / 24-bit?

Do i get a GPU?

Video related-

Like sound the newer Mobos and processors have bluray outs, hd graphics and video that i have read but will the suffice for the following needs-

I have a 3D projector the JVC X30, also a 52" HDTV LED tv. Both capable of 1080p , 3D, projector as high as 1080p/60, 1080p/24, 1080p/50.

Have wired my house with ethernet cabling as i find the lag on wireless annoying.

Heres how i thought instead of an i5 which i had almost picked up, get the cheaper i3 ,
with a better gpu.

Having said that there is the question of which GPU, end of the day what i believe is any of the good gpus should be fine, so please advice me the best GPU bang for the buck. Loads of threads suggest between the GTX 460 < HD6850 < GTX 560 < HD6870 < GTX 560 Ti < HD6950.

Are all these over kill.

Space related-
A cabinet that looks nice as well as practical, either one can get a smart black colored tower or get fancy with antec or silverstone. What i am worried is we get very hot temperatures where i am during summer, and too many fans would mean lots of noise. But at the same time want to atleast install min 3 upto 5 HDDs,
Also some GPUs fit in some mobos some are too big for cabinets, would the above mentioned gpus fit with 4 hdd in something like a Antec fusion remote.
RAM i think 4 gb ddr3 (1333) would do just fine.
PSU - corsair 430 80+ or more keeping in mind the HDDs.
Bluray - 12x LG/plextor/samsung whichever is the cheapest i'll pick up as one person seems to have had a good experience with one and another has had a bad.
Please help me bring together a good htpc.
All your inputs will be appreciated.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 9:43:33 AM

Since you have a 3D projector then you most likely would like to have 3d output also from your HTPC. The onboard graphics are not up to that yet. Thus I would recommend that you indeed to get a video card.

For support with HDMI 1.4 and 3D you want to get a 6xxx basically a 6570 or better AMD card or
Nvidia 5xx basically a GT520 or better Nvidia card.
The low end cards are fine as you don't plan on doing gaming, you just need to run the video streams.

The lower end cards you can get passively cooled minimizing moving parts.

You 'should' be able to run it all with an i3, but there is the future proofing aspect if you happen to do some transcoding etc, which might then need more from the CPU than the i3 can handle. With the right motherboard you can upgrade to ivy bridge later for example if you run out of CPU juice.

Ram: 4GB should be plenty, however if you see deals on 8GB don't shy away from them, there have been some for as low at $19.99 with MIR's.

PSU: Well If you have the money I can warmly recommend the Seasonic X series. There are both fanless and fanned options. The fanned options don't run their fans unless 25% or so of the capacity is reached thus they are very quiet. The prices start at about $100 though so they are a touch pricy. They are 80+Gold rated though so they also produce less heat and thus need less cooling.

TV tuner: if you want the best there is the Ceton InfiniTV 4 ~$290 which has 4 cable tuners built in letting you watch and record up to 4 channels, and you can also assign the tuners to other computers in the network. It does get pretty hot though, so for that a good airflow in the case would be nice.

Bluray: don't really have experience with them, but do take into account that for 'perfect' support of bluray disks you will need to get a player SW as well which can cost up to $90-100. ( PowerDVD 11 Ultra for 3D blurays ) Often it may be cheaper to just have a separate bluray player for the bluray movies.

Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 11:05:36 AM

That is how I have it connected, SPDIF. Works great. HDMI works too.

with a better gpu.

It will get really hot. U should not game with HTPC. Must be kept in free flowing air. Not behind any glass or in the shelve without circulating air.

Space related-

Well, I would get ...

2500K + Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid + SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6570 + Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green + ASUS P8Z68-M Pro + Antec Black AluminumMicro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Score
January 31, 2012 11:11:00 AM

sound

1.sound cards have audio not gpu's . on board audio on most motherboards is good. the i processors do have on board gpu's but their not as good as amd's a series apu .

video

if youre gaming on low settings an apu will do fine .
Score
January 31, 2012 12:37:36 PM

Thanks for the prompt feed back.

Having read the reply and what i have been thinking -

I love working on a budget that can be stretched a bit. I like to have a workable system but still want to have options and feel good about what i will build.

SMPS- seasonic X isnt available, but bronze series or modular with silence control are! apart from those corsair, coolermaster.
how much wattage would i need, between 450-650 w would be sufficient i guess, but how much is the maximum?

GPU- can choose between asus GT 440, GTS 450, Saphire HD 6770 or GTX 550 Ti (listed according to cost with the 440 being cheapest of the lot).

mobo- p8p67 M seems to have lossless audio as well as enough bang , paired with the the i5 2500K woul be great i guess.

But wouldnt a GOOD graphic card with hdmi 1.4a do all the work if put on a i3 with a cheaper mobo like the h67 series.

TV tuner dont need.

Too much choice out there and not much difference to the naked eye when comaprring similar products.... hence the confusion.

will get a software, doubt that i will watch 3D too often but would if u have it, should have the option to use it atleast.

Aj
Score
January 31, 2012 12:40:36 PM

you're right sound cards have audio, but gpus have hdmi and what i believe hdmi carrys pretty much lossless audio to a receiver , one just saves on extra wires i guess.
Score
January 31, 2012 12:45:18 PM

thanks for the promp feedback, @ nikorr, you're right gaming would get hot, i doubt that i will game much, but just like to have the option of doing so.

would an option of
the cheaper i3 with cheaper mobo say h67 series, but with a higher end graphic card
or
i5 with mobo p67 with an entry level gpu which has HDMI1.4a

last but not the least would 430W psu be good enough to run 4-5 HDDs...

AJ
Score
January 31, 2012 12:47:05 PM

@9_breaker- never used amd, but would not mind at all, could you suggest a rig , you have all my inputs.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 12:47:31 PM

All seasonic PSU's are pretty good, the X would just be about the best. 450-500W should be plenty.

GPU: Out of those the 6770 is probably the best. Low idle power 3D HDMI 1.4.

You don't really need i5 2500k for a HTPC, but what it does let you do is that you can actually undervolt and underclock it to reduce heat and power consumption. I think that you will do great with i3 21XX 6770 and p8p67 M.

Score
January 31, 2012 12:54:49 PM

last but not the least would the gtx 550ti be overkill with the i3 setup.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 1:18:43 PM

Check the HTPC build in my sig. You don't need an 'i' CPU for a HTPC. A 6xxx AMD GPU will give you 3D and bitstreaming, and the 6450 has a passive cooler. My HTPC is virtually silent...you could make it quieter by getting a fanless PSU. I use an SSD as I also have a server, so you'll want to take steps to minimise HDD noise.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 1:48:24 PM

daebis said:
last but not the least would the gtx 550ti be overkill with the i3 setup.

The i3 is a very capable CPU, as has just been shown in the latest CPU comparison benchmark here on Toms, and it will not bottleneck that card.

Since you have a great projector capable of different Hz, you might want to look into using LAV, madVR and reClock (if you are not already), which would have you run a Nvidia card, but then, it seems you are already considering that.

Anandtech has a decent writeup of what to consider when chosing a card for a HTPC, they also touch on LAV and madVR if you are unfamiliar with these.
Score
January 31, 2012 2:04:38 PM

@lothdk- do you sir have a link to the article, no i was not aware about the LAV and MAdVR.

@diellur - great rig, just saw it, i can imagine the silence. Does a case help if i am running 3 x 2 tb hdds.

Also if i load windows 7 or 8 when it comes out, is your ssd at 60 gb good enough.

i was planning to get a SSD for booting up and keeping my flac and 1080p videos in the regular green caviar drives.

I know i dont need a i processor, but i guess one wants to get something as good as it gets if it fits a budget. Fanless PSU i would love to get, but our temps in summer does go very very hot.

Was planning on a liquid cool fan.

LAst but not the least i am thinking about the G620 as its almost the same as that of i3 2nd gen ....

So how do you feel about AMD processors ...

Score
January 31, 2012 2:49:39 PM

also my main concern is lossless audio output ....
Score
a c 186 à CPUs
January 31, 2012 2:52:14 PM

Htpc's need to be power efficient, so i3 would be a good choice.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 4:07:45 PM

The SSD has enough space for Windows 7, TMT 5 (which I use for Bluray playback) and some other bits of software, with about 30GB to spare. The GD06B has enough room for 5 HDDs, but you should look at the manual on the Silverstone website as you need to get a short PSU. However, there are plenty of other cases that would do the job well.

The G620 is fine for me, and it's S1155 so you can upgrade in the future. I've actually downclocked mine to 2.2GHz, which is equivalent to the G620T...it's a great little performer. Bear in mind my build is purely for playback and ripping...I don't transcode.

Also remember that even with liquid cooling, it can't cool you below the ambient temperature. My temps are about 40 deg C for the CPU and 45-50 deg C for the GPU. Warm, but within spec.
Score
January 31, 2012 5:47:25 PM

according to the article the best card would be the gtx 560 as its the most economical doing great video with flawless audio...

I have listed the cards that are available in my country at prices that i can afford. The GTX560 being th emost expensive. What do you think.

I have also combined 3 systems from budget - mid- high end, will post tomo for your views.

the cards are as follows 1st being the cheapest.

GT 440
GTS 450
HD 6750
HD 6770
GTX 550 Ti
HD 6790
HD 6850
HD 6870
GTX560
Score
January 31, 2012 5:47:59 PM

according to an article the best card would be the gtx 560 as its the most economical doing great video with flawless audio...

I have listed the cards that are available in my country at prices that i can afford. The GTX560 being th emost expensive. What do you think.

I have also combined 3 systems from budget - mid- high end, will post tomo for your views.

the cards are as follows 1st being the cheapest.

GT 440
GTS 450
HD 6750
HD 6770
GTX 550 Ti
HD 6790
HD 6850
HD 6870
GTX560
Score
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 7:36:01 PM

It'd entirely up to you, but you really don't need to spend that sort of money. My AMD 6450 is connected to my A/V receiver and spits out 1080p on Blurays with DTS-HD or TrueHD soundtracks no bother at all. I'm not suggesting you get that card, but I'm not seeing the benefits of you spending more money are...don't forget that the GTX 560 won't be passively cooled (AFAIK?) so you'll have more noise coming from that.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2012 7:58:11 PM

Unless you are looking to play games as well I would say go with a Radeon 6570 or, if you are going to use the setup with LAV, madVR and reClock to get as perfect refresh rate as possible on your projector, look to a GT 430.
Both cards can be had with passive cooling, heatsink only no fan.
Score
February 1, 2012 3:53:18 AM

@diellu what you are saying 1. that i will get the same performance with or without the card as long as the processor and mobo supports hdmi and good quality sound like the p8p67 gives out lossless sound and does 192khz / 24 bits.

also GT430 isnt available here, but the GT 440 and GTS 450 are, would that be okay as well as comparred to the 430.

@lothDk, i would like the choice to game, my younger bro and his friends do, and do visit once every month from med school, so would like to have the option, and with all that noise i wouldnt mind a bit of sound from fans.

Also my dedicated musics system is in the next room, so i guess passive or with fan will not be so muc of a problem.

The only question like u say is , will it actually make a difference in video quality or sound, if i get one, if not .... why spend the cash.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 7:59:05 AM

daebis said:
@diellu what you are saying 1. that i will get the same performance with or without the card as long as the processor and mobo supports hdmi and good quality sound like the p8p67 gives out lossless sound and does 192khz / 24 bits.

Nope, not saying that...

You'll need the card for lossless audio. The CPU, if it has onboard graphics, will support HDMI but not bitstreaming audio. Also, discrete graphics are better at 23.976 fps HD playback than onboard graphics (with the exception of Llano APUs, which effectively have an AMD 6xxx GPU onboard).
Score
February 1, 2012 10:39:46 AM

so i guess in the end decision time-

these r the 3 htpcs i have built all are within the budget (although the last one will really stretch me,
its now a matter of how much can i save and how much of the components will be complete waste.

I can mix and match.

Budget Mid range Higher range

Processor Intel G620 i3 (2100) i5 (2400)

Mobo asus P8H61-M LE P8P67 M P8P67

Ram 4 GB G skill ddr3 10666 4 GB G-skill ddr3 10666 8GB Gskill ddr3 10666

Graphic card Sapphire HD6570 GTX 550Ti or GTS 450 GEforce GTX560

Smps Corsair 430W 80+ Seasonic Bronze 530 Seasonic Modular Power 560

Cabinet Silverstone Grandia GD048 Silverstone GD048 Silverstone LC10BE

COST (converted into$) 450$ 720$ 1000$

Although in the higher range I am thinking of doing away with the card for the time being, as the Mobo has loss less audio out and plays to 192khz/24 bits.
As well as with i5 should decode hd video

Processors mentioned in the budget and mid range PC, tests results show them to be same.

Should I get a SSD for boot up?
HDDs I already have, all cables I have got from monoprice,
I live in a large house is it true repeaters cut the signal by half, do i get repeaters or routers?

AJ

Score
February 1, 2012 10:44:02 AM

these r the 3 htpcs i have built all are within the budget (although the last one will really stretch me,
its now a matter of how much can i save and how much of the components will be complete waste.

I can mix and match.

Budget ---- Mid range ---- Higher range

Processor ----- Intel G620 ---- i3 (2100) ---- i5 (2400)

Mobo ----- asus P8H61-M LE ---- P8P67 M ---- P8P67

Ram ----- 4 GB G skill ddr3 10666 ---- 4 GB G-skill ddr3 10666 --- 8GB Gskill ddr3 10666

Graphic card ----- Sapphire HD6570 ---- GTX 550Ti or GTS 450 --- GEforce GTX560

Smps ----- Corsair 430W 80+ ---- Seasonic Bronze 530 ---- Seasonic Modular Power 560

Cabinet ----- Silverstone Grandia GD048 ---- Silverstone GD048 ---- Silverstone LC10BE

COST (converted into$) ---- 450$ ---- 720$ ---- 1000$

Although in the higher range I am thinking of doing away with the card for the time being, as the Mobo has loss less audio out and plays to 192khz/24 bits.
As well as with i5 should decode hd video

Processors mentioned in the budget and mid range PC, tests results show them to be same.

Should I get a SSD for boot up?
HDDs I already have, all cables I have got from monoprice,
I live in a large house is it true repeaters cut the signal by half, do i get repeaters or routers?

AJ
Score
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 10:46:27 AM

my suggestion is an AMD A-series cpu.

A6-3650 + A75 mobo will be a great HTPC, with better graphics than any on-board Intel model
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 12:45:58 PM

daebis said:

I can mix and match.

The following sugestions are based on your intent to occasionally play games.

For CPU I would go with the i3.

Motherboard either of those you have listed would do fine for your usage, just be aware of no USB3 (or SATA3) on the H61 board.

Go with whatever is cheapest, for a HTPC 4 GB is plenty.

As you will be gaming (very) occasionally, I would look to get the GTS 450, decent performance in games, supports HDMI 1.4a for Blu-ray 3D should you wish to explore that, and gives you the option of tinkering with the open source media applications.
The GTS 450 can be had as a low profile card as well, if you go with a small cabinet.

All of the listed PSU will work.

Cabinets are very much down to personal choice, so.. whichever you like that has the ability to run all the HDDs you want to put in and maintain decent airflow and noise.

If an SSD is within your budget, they are a very nice upgrade to make any PC feel more responsive, even a HTPC, but do not skimp on other components to make room in the budget when the purpose is that of a HTPC.
February 1, 2012 1:15:51 PM

Thanks LothDK,
sometimes one wishes for a reply that is exactly what one was thinking of... with savings on processor/ram/etc , i can get the GEforce GTX560 as very well reviewed for high end audio and 3d capabilites (LINK that u sent)....

And SSD i think a 64 gb or a 80 gb would be perfect for boot up and media center applications right.

thanks once again.
Score
February 1, 2012 1:17:05 PM

but if i get a gpu which i will, wont onboard graphics be redundant.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 2:27:56 PM

If you decide to go with the GTX 560 (do so only for good game performance, as said, the GTS 450 offers decent performance at almost half the price, but might be acceptable the limited times you will do so) you should step up to either of the Seasonic PSUs, the Corsair should have no problems running it, but better safe than sorry, also, being pushed harder than the Seasonic models, the fan would likely be louder under load.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 2:28:52 PM

Yes indeed. 64GB SSD should be plenty.
Score
February 1, 2012 4:05:39 PM

Any idea if the performance of HD video or 3D video or the sound will be differ if i use either the GTX 560 or GTS 450.
As the option of passive cooling on the GTS 450 sounds attractive.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2012 6:39:53 PM

yes...but the point is with the A-series, you don't need it.
Score
February 1, 2012 7:39:04 PM

If you really want to get a GPU, the 6570 you picked for your budget portion can crossfire with the A6-3650.
Score
February 2, 2012 4:21:54 AM

interesting... it will even bring down the costs,
1. will it fit in a micro atx like silverstone gd04b
2. is the audio out lossless, or do i then get use the gpu to get 192 /24 sound.
Score
February 2, 2012 6:41:44 AM

I have never built or used an amd machine , only reason i am showing interest in it is , i would love to try build one for a HTPC and also compare it with my current i7 desktop.

also from amd boards only the M4A785G (series) has the feature to use Absolute Pitch Hi-Fi featuring ENVY HD Lossless 192kHz/ 24-bit BD audio .

The A75 doesnt seem to have the above audio features in its specs.

So does that mean i will have to change the processor too from the 3650 to use on the m4a board..

This would mean that i could use the audio from mobo for my high end stereo in my bedroom, and use the hdmi 1.4a on the gpu that you have suggested for 1080p /24 playback as well as 7.1 sound with my marantz receiver in my living room.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 6:47:04 AM

The only issue with passive cooling and games is that your temps might get a bit high. But if it's occasional gaming then it shouldn't be a huge issue.
Score
February 2, 2012 8:36:01 AM

Ah I see. Well, since you've found a board that has that feature, it would probably be easier to just find a AM3 processor that fits your needs and use the 6570 with it or something. Couldn't really find the board on newegg and tigerdirect. My next thought was to find a sound card that supported the 192/24, but those are pretty expensive...

I don't want to lead you down the wrong path or anything. Hopefully someone else can make a better recommendation. :) 
Score
February 2, 2012 10:27:28 AM

and.. performance of HD video or 3D video or the sound will be differ if i use either the GTX 560 or GTS 450.
Score
February 2, 2012 10:40:19 AM

thanks ....not leading me to any wrong path just getting great feedback.

Guess what even i cant find that motherboard anywhere, so back to square one.

Basically 2 options-
1. Go with a decent motherboard+processor (like the A75+A6 3650) or even cheaper and get
a. a great gpu with 3d support ie hdmi 1.4a like the 6570 or the gt430
b. a great soundcard like the ASUS Xonar D1 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz or the
HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
(sound card to my stereo + electrostats for loss less music , GPU (hdmi 1.4a) to
the marantz and 3d projector.

2. Go with a better mother board and processor like intel i3 (2100) on a asus p8p67 ..(havent found a equivalent of the board in amd as yet..)
with that i can use its lossless audio feature for my stereo and get a GTS 450 for the HT..

that leaves me with which would be a better machine. The first amd processing power with dedicated sound and video.

the second a power house bit of an over kill i'd guess.

Score
February 2, 2012 10:42:00 AM

last but not the least why would you suggested the AMD A6 3650 Quad Core when the Phenom II X4 955 (spec wise more powerful) is cheaper.....

Score
February 2, 2012 12:15:41 PM

Hi
have already bugged everyone with the stupidist of questions, but heres another.

In one room i have 3d jvc projector with marantz receiver and an led , with 7.1 surround sound.

In the adjoining room i have my Classe amps with electrostatic speakers, turntable.

All my music in is Flac. for stereo i want lossless doing 192/24

HT i want great 7.1 sound with 1080p as well as 3D using hdmi 1.4a.

(I am a music person and my wife a movie.. hence the diversity).

How do i do this.

1. Cheaper processor (amd/intel g620) +
basic asus mobo with GTS450/ HD6670 card for hdmi 1.4a (7.1) (or any other you suggest) +
Xonair dx/ x-fi titanium/HTi omega striker

2. Great but expensive mobo like p8p67 (whose specs show loss less audio out) + GTS450/ HD6670 card for hdmi 1.4a

3. High end processor + highened mobo without the cards?

Please advice.

( Have already got great feedback on various htpc combos )

Score
February 2, 2012 12:17:37 PM

Hi
have already bugged everyone with the stupidist of questions, but heres another.

In one room i have 3d jvc projector with marantz receiver and an led , with 7.1 surround sound.

In the adjoining room i have my Classe amps with electrostatic speakers, turntable.

All my music in is Flac. for stereo i want lossless doing 192/24

HT i want great 7.1 sound with 1080p as well as 3D using hdmi 1.4a.

(I am a music person and my wife a movie.. hence the diversity).

How do i do this.

1. Cheaper processor (amd/intel g620) +
basic asus mobo with GTS450/ HD6670 card for hdmi 1.4a (7.1) (or any other you suggest) +
Xonair dx/ x-fi titanium/HTi omega striker

2. Great but expensive mobo like p8p67 (whose specs show loss less audio out) + GTS450/ HD6670 card for hdmi 1.4a

3. High end processor + highened mobo without the cards?

Please advice.

( Have already got great feedback on various htpc combos )
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 1:37:43 PM

daebis said:
and.. performance of HD video or 3D video or the sound will be differ if i use either the GTX 560 or GTS 450.

It would be the same on both cards, they are equiped with the VP4 "engine" that supports hardware decoding of MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2 , VC-1/WMV9 and H.264.

As to sound, you would be using bitstreaming and so that should be equal as well.

The only difference you should be seeing is when it comes to gaming, but as that will be very occasionally, question is if the GTX 560 is worth almost double the price of the GTS 450.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 1:59:03 PM

This is the 3rd thread you've started on this topic, friend. Word of advice...keep the discussion to one thread, it's not good practice to be starting multiple threads at the same time.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 2:03:30 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • HTPC some myths and facts clarification sorted?
  • Htpc - for Two rooms 1-(7.1 surround 1.4a 3d hd video) 2-(2.0 stereo)
    Score
    !