PC won't boot when crossfire graphics card and pci card installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

beingmyse1f

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hello,
I'm building my own computer right now (3rd one) and the pc freezes at the windows logo when I tried to install a wireless pci adapter. Here's what I've tried.

1) Assemble all hardware without pci adapter and installed windows 7. It works.
2) Install drivers for wireless adapter, shut down computer, plug in card, and boot up. PC freezes at windows startup logo. This was a card I took from my other computer so I know it works.
3) Remove card to verify PC is still good, and it is.
4) Only one PCI slot was available since 2nd the graphics cards covered the 1st PCI slot so I removed the 2nd graphics card to install the PCI card in slot 1. It works!
5) Now I tried the PCI card in slot 2 without the 2nd graphics card, and it still works!

So I've concluded that the combination that doesn't work is when I have both graphics cards and the wireless adapter installed in PCI slot 2. Please help!

Motherboard: MSI Z68A-G45 (B3)
CPU: Intel i3 2100
Video Cards: 2x Radeon 5850
Wireless PCI Adapter: AZIO AWD102N
Windows 7

striker410

Distinguished
Hi, welcome to the forums.
I don't know, man. Could be your motherboard simply doesn't agree with that combination of slots being used. Cheapest and easiest fix? Buy a USB wifi adapter.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but your testing was pretty good.

beingmyse1f

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

This is exactly what my coworker told me too. I'll look into it and see what can be done. Thanks for the tip.

beingmyse1f

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
So I've read around on other forums that changing the IRQ isn't necessary in Windows 7 since it's automatically assigned (an ancient method to some people), even though other users are adamant it's the IRQ that's wrong and Windows 7 won't let them change it. Anyways, I found a site that showed you how to change the IRQ in Windows 7 through the registry, but wasn't so excited to try this method yet. Instead, I updated all the drivers, plugged everything back in, and it works!

Thanks for the help. At least I got to learn about IRQ's.

Dec 2, 2011

Well I'm glad it worked out, not so glad I'm ancient... You have no idea what a pain it used to be dealing with IRQ's in pre PnP OS's. Every card exponetially increased the difficulty. Or oh my god, getting sound blaster to work in dos....

beingmyse1f

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Sorry! I didn't mean it in an offensive way. I'm sure your experience has paid off helping others. :D Now how do I mark this thread as solved...

Status
Not open for further replies.