Upgrade for 2 470 GTX Sli

kittenhead

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hi, I'm thinking about upgrading my my videos cards for the lowest cost. What I'm wondering is what current nvidia cards on their own (not sli) would be ether equal or better than my 2 470's. Price is an issue but as of right now I don't have a definite budget so I'd like to just know what the cheapest option would be for a upgrade to what I already have.

Thanks!

right now the fastest single card is GTX580. but your GTX470 SLi still faster that it. you can look this review. it was review for GTX580 SLI but they also include GTX470 and single GTX580 in their result:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-sli-review/

if you really want an upgrade you should wait until next gen cards coming out

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

Short answer, there is no cheap upgrade available now or in the near future. The next gen cards will not be cheap
I'm in the same boat with SLI'd 460's. No upgrade available for cheap.

kittenhead

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I was going to do a small upgrade to my system going from a i5 to an i7 plus a new motherboard and memory and pass down my i5 to my husband. Since he is running an old AMD Athlon II with 2 8800 sli he really needs the upgrade. I thought if there was a decently priced upgrade for my video cards I'd also upgrade those and pass them down as well but what I will probably do now is just upgrade his instead.

Yes, for gaming the 2500K is it. It is pretty much the same CPU as the 2600K, without hyperthreading, which for best gaming performance, you would want to turn off anyway. Right now, for gaming, get a good board with a P67 or 68 chipset, a 2500K, which will easily run like 4.5 ghz, and watch your SLI setup really go to work! You are going to be amazed, (and your husband will literally green with jealousy!!)