Closed

What does 'Abis' mean?

Tags:
Last response: in Technologies
December 29, 2004 9:25:54 PM

The interface between BSC & MSC is called as 'Abis interface'.
I am just curious to know where exactly this term comes from, esp.
what 'bis' in 'Abis' means.

Thanks!

More about : abis

December 30, 2004 12:22:39 PM

qazmlp wrote:

> The interface between BSC & MSC is called as 'Abis interface'.
> I am just curious to know where exactly this term comes from, esp.
> what 'bis' in 'Abis' means.
>
> Thanks!

Abis This is a BSS internal interface linking the BSC and a BTS, and it
has not been standardised. The Abis interface allows control of the
radio equipment and radio frequency allocation in the BTS.

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/constellatio...

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

>The interface between BSC & MSC is called as 'Abis interface'.
>I am just curious to know where exactly this term comes from, esp.
>what 'bis' in 'Abis' means.

This is a Nokia term and comes from Finland. I don't know the exact meaning.

As for the function the ABIS (all caps by the way) assignments are the
assignments of the various radios on the T-1 that connects the Base Station to
the BSC. It tells the equipment what is to be used for voice and what is to be
used for EDGE. It also assigns the OMSUG which is the control channel on the
T-1. Finally, it assigns the control spectrum for the control of each of the
voice channels.

--
John S.
December 31, 2004 1:37:16 PM

"qazmlp" wrote:

> The interface between BSC & MSC is called as 'Abis interface'.
> I am just curious to know where exactly this term comes from,
> esp. what 'bis' in 'Abis' means.

I don't know if you'll find it helpful, but
http://tinyurl.com/6qcy4 defines it as: a "French term meaning
'the second A interface,' which is the link between a BSC and
the mobile switching center".

John
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 3:26:06 AM

"John Henderson" <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> wrote in message
> "qazmlp" wrote:
>
>> The interface between BSC & MSC is called as 'Abis interface'.
>> I am just curious to know where exactly this term comes from,
>> esp. what 'bis' in 'Abis' means.
>
> I don't know if you'll find it helpful, but
> http://tinyurl.com/6qcy4 defines it as: a "French term meaning
> 'the second A interface,' which is the link between a BSC and
> the mobile switching center".

This is my understanding also; the A interface uses 64kbs circuits and
follows the CCITT G.703 standard, but in the case of the remote transcoder a
64kbs circuit per voice channel would be wasted (as each speech channel is
only 13kbs). So rather than having the A-interface support 64kbs and 16kbs
"circuits", the Abis interface was created to support 16kbs (multiplexed)
circuits (so each 64kbs "physical" circuit carries 4 speech channels).
Anonymous
September 3, 2009 5:42:20 PM

"bis" in French is used like the letter "b" in English, as in Version 1 and Version 1b, in French would be Version 1 and Version 1bis.
Anonymous
May 4, 2010 4:12:57 PM

Jer said:

qazmlp wrote:

> The interface between BSC & MSC is called as 'Abis interface'.
> I am just curious to know where exactly this term comes from, esp.
> what 'bis' in 'Abis' means.
>
> Thanks!

Abis This is a BSS internal interface linking the BSC and a BTS, and it
has not been standardised. The Abis interface allows control of the
radio equipment and radio frequency allocation in the BTS.

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/constellatio...

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

hi..is abis a wired or wireless connection?
August 8, 2010 3:44:04 AM

The BIS in ABIS stands for BSC To BTS Interoperability Specification.

Eskinder
Anonymous
September 24, 2010 8:46:58 AM

This topic has been closed by Fihart