New Build Does't Post. Power cycles on and off.

castrona

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hi all,

I'm in the process of building my first PC and I've run into a situation where the computer won't post. I've spent about a week trying to diagnose the failing hardware component and I'm about to throw in the towel. I found many resources online in which others have ran into the same problem, however I still have not found a solution to "my" issue.

Problem: New build computer doesn't post. It begins to boot up, but powers off after 5 sec. It then repeats this cycle of booting and powering off indefinitely.

Attempts to Solve:
(1) Reviewed many online forums as well as troubleshooting documentation (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems). This helped me verify that all connections are correct.

(2) Assembled motherboard outside of case (on motherboard box, not on anti static bag). Installed CPU, fan, and also the fan in. Tried to boot, received 3 beeps as expected (b/c of no memory). Added 1 stick of RAM (also tried 2 in dual channel mode, as well as all 4), tried to boot and received no beeps. The computer began to power on, but turned off after 5 sec. I then added my gpu and plugged power into it. Again, received no beeps and power turned on for 5 sec before turning off.

(3) Suspected PSU to be failing. Bought Corsair - Gaming Series 700-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply...same exact results.

(4) Suspected either motherboard or cpu to be DOA, so I replaced them. Same results.

(5) Tried all 4 sticks of RAM in various combinations to determine if RAM is failing. Will not boot in any configuration.

Questions:
(1) Could my gpu be DOA? I tried booting the computer without the gpu (same results), but my motherboard does not have an integrated VGA. I still expected to hear a post beep, even if I have no visual. Is this true, or do I NEED my gpu plugged in since I don't have an integrated VGA?

(2) Could all 4 sticks of my RAM be DOA? This seems highly unlikely, but I have heard mixed reviews about the quality of PNY XLR8 DDR3.

(3) Could it still be the PSU? I've checked the both PSU's by doing the paper clip test. I don't know any other method for testing them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Computer Hardware
MSI P67A-C43 B3 Board
Intel Core i7-2600K
PNY 16GB DDR3 RAM Kit
MSI HD6770
OCZ SSD
DVD Writer
MSI NightHawk Mid Tower
DiabloTek 650W PSU
Additional PSU: Corsair - Gaming Series 700-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply

castrona

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I'm guessing that your response is that the graphics card could be DOA, and to plug it into the PSU using the 6 pin connector. I've done this, and the fan on the graphics card spins when the computer attempts to boot, however the system promptly shuts down within a few seconds. Is there anyway to test that this component is working?

Tried one stick of ram in dimm slot one yet? Yeah, you could try a different video card; I have a spare I use sometimes. But bad video cards are rare, unless the diabloTec took it out. They shouldn't allow such low end ps to be sold. It's a shame too many folks go for cheap ps the first time around.

castrona

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I did try one stick of ram in dimm 1. I tried each one, and I still get the same result. Is it possible that I did something to kill all 4 sticks of ram? Or maybe something that could have possibly happened during shipping? I was thinking about going out and buying more ram today to test this possibility. Do you know of a specific brand/model that I should get. Namely one that should have absolutely no problems with my motherboard?

After troubleshooting this for a week, I now understand the importance of a good PSU. The Diablotek PSU just happened to be the one that tigerdirect bundled in the barebones kit. From what I've gone through so far, I wish I spent the time to select my own hardware rather then rely on the barebones kit.

castrona

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Figured out the problem. The MSI P67A-C43 B3 motherboard "technically" supports the my processor (i.e. Intel i7 2600K). However, this motherboard ships with BIOS version 1.1 which is to old to boot with the i7 processor. The solution is to flash the motherboard with updates that are available on MSI's website. I choose instead to switch to an ASUS motherboard, and haven't had any problems. Good work MSI.