diddle283

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hi,

Just a quick one, is this power supply sufficient for a gtx 560 ti?

2011-12-03202244.jpg

thanks

diddle283

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Sorry for the delay, was trying to find that psu on a uk site. Found it on Amazon, thanks.

Win 7 Premium
Athlon II x4
8GB
9800 GT

This is my brothers PC, its about 2 years old and he wants to upgrade.

Just out of curiosity, if we decided to get another gtx560 ti in the future, would the psu you recommend be enough?

Thanks

Due to the fact that computer use much more from the 12 volt rails these days, that power supply is a big no go for a new card.

That said, if they made a power supply with that many amps on the 12 volt rail, it would generally be a 250-300 watt unit.

Not that the unit can not claim to be a 500 watt psu, just that most power supplies now channel 80%+ or there power into the 12 volt rail(s).

Also new designs get there 5 and 3.3 volt rails off the 12 volt allowing lots of 12 volt power(current) while 5 and 3.3 volt usage is low.

Once loaded the card will be able to take nearly ALL the power from the power supplies 12 volt rail, not leaving enough for the rest of the system.

To sum it up, your power supply has 216(150-200 of that will be used in heavy gaming) watts on its 12 volt rail and the Corsair unit linked above has 480watts on its 12 volt rail(450 if you somehow manage to load the 3.3 and 5 volt rails to the max, but thats not going to happen).

I would not risk the system on that psu, and i am the one running a 300 watt psu for my I5 750 + 5770 video card :)

I definitly would not risk it IMO.
I killed a 9800GTX doing that.
The GTX560 is only a 170w part, as I'm currently running two OC versions on a 620w PSU I think even a no name 500w would be able to run a single card. I know this flies in the face of popular opinion but that doesn't change what I think.

For crying outloud, you're make all the power supply noobs crazy talking like that, they know it can't be done :lol:

It's not the wattage mouse, it's the amperage. 50a on your HX620 compared to 18a on the steaming pile this thread is about.

Opinion is opinion and i cannot fault that.
But risk is definitly there...
But the money might not be. I've just seen a lot of single cards being run on quite crappy no name brands without any kind of problem whatsoever, it's when more than one card gets added to the mix the power requirements start to get interesting.

I actually agree MM.
When i killed my 9800GTX it was a 2nd (SLi) to a cheapo 750watt psu i had.
But after that fiasco i decided to not cheap out on a psu and got a silverstone strider 1000 watt :D
But now my psu will serve it's purpose in the next month as i add a 2nd gpu.
I've fried a couple of PSU's in SLi rigs but that was the thing, SLi. In a single card rig with a couple of fans a HDD, CPU, motherboard and RAM I have gotten away with some really shady PSU's.

I have too ( pair of G92's on a 375 watt psu :ouch: ), not something I'm willing to reccomend to others though.

diddle283

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Haha, I'm now not sure what to do. I think ill find a cheaper replacement that's a bit better than what we have now. I don't think I need something as beefy as that Corsair psu you linked from what's been said in this thread.

With ease, never even passes 180 watts with any games. Even games and prime do not much it any further then that.

But there is a difference with hand picked low power parts and under voltage.

Just saying even if the card will not pass 14 amps, 4 amps or 48 watts for the rest of the system is just pushing it.

I did build a X4 955BE system with a slight overclock(3.7), HD4870 single drive 2 stick of memory dvd. Very basic system. The power supply was a OCZ Z series 550(44 amps combined 12 volt 80+ silver).
prime955at37.png

Look at the Antec Earthwatts units. Fair price, not top end but tend to be stable and have good protection so if you do overload it in the future, it will just shut off without damaging the system(this is a feature on all good power supplies, they should power down or fold and not cause damage).

Always look for a combined 12 volt rail power(you can not add rails). since not all power supplies are created equal. For instance, my EA430 pushes 30 amps on its 12 volt rails, that is a fair bit more then the 18(144 watts less then the EA430) that your current unit is pushing despite the EA430 being "only"a 430 watt psu.

To lazy to check which psu is that, but if you gonne upgrade the psu ; never go cheap on your psu. It's quite an important part of your system, probably the most important. Stick with a good brand like Corsair,Antec, XFX, Seasonic. It's important that all the right voltages are being delivered without distortions etc. A good 500W will do. A 500W Corsair sells from around 50 dollar.

If the PSU can push 480w then it has 40 amps not 18, 18 is the amount that can be drawn from one set of cables (typically referred to as rails) and that is because of the thickness of the wire (gauge) used.