• Gtx
  • Power Supplies
  • Power
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2011 6:32:31 PM

Hi,

Just a quick one, is this power supply sufficient for a gtx 560 ti?

thanks

More about : power

December 3, 2011 6:36:09 PM

So this will definitely not be enough to run the card?
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 6:39:46 PM

A resounding N-O
Related resources
December 3, 2011 6:46:41 PM

Sorry for the delay, was trying to find that psu on a uk site. Found it on Amazon, thanks.

Win 7 Premium
Athlon II x4
8GB
9800 GT

This is my brothers PC, its about 2 years old and he wants to upgrade.

Just out of curiosity, if we decided to get another gtx560 ti in the future, would the psu you recommend be enough?

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2011 6:47:25 PM

you have 18 A on the 12 v rail, so its a no no. You need atleast 42 Amps on the 12 V rails, to be safe.
December 3, 2011 6:54:08 PM

Quote:
Yes my linked psu is enough, however which version is that athlon II X4?

I think this one is a 620
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 6:55:11 PM

For a single card you current PSU would most likely be OK but better one would good, just not essential.
December 3, 2011 6:55:35 PM

Quote:
Ok that will be fine for the 560Ti

good news!! thanks :) 
a c 119 U Graphics card
a c 86 ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 6:56:04 PM

Due to the fact that computer use much more from the 12 volt rails these days, that power supply is a big no go for a new card.

That said, if they made a power supply with that many amps on the 12 volt rail, it would generally be a 250-300 watt unit.

Not that the unit can not claim to be a 500 watt psu, just that most power supplies now channel 80%+ or there power into the 12 volt rail(s).

Also new designs get there 5 and 3.3 volt rails off the 12 volt allowing lots of 12 volt power(current) while 5 and 3.3 volt usage is low.

Once loaded the card will be able to take nearly ALL the power from the power supplies 12 volt rail, not leaving enough for the rest of the system.

To sum it up, your power supply has 216(150-200 of that will be used in heavy gaming) watts on its 12 volt rail and the Corsair unit linked above has 480watts on its 12 volt rail(450 if you somehow manage to load the 3.3 and 5 volt rails to the max, but thats not going to happen).

I would not risk the system on that psu, and i am the one running a 300 watt psu for my I5 750 + 5770 video card :) 
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 6:57:14 PM

Mousemonkey said:
For a single card you current PSU would most likely be OK but better one would good, just not essential.
:o 
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 7:02:08 PM

Quote:
I definitly would not risk it IMO.
I killed a 9800GTX doing that.

The GTX560 is only a 170w part, as I'm currently running two OC versions on a 620w PSU I think even a no name 500w would be able to run a single card. I know this flies in the face of popular opinion but that doesn't change what I think.
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 7:03:28 PM

nukemaster said:
i am the one running a 300 watt psu for my I5 750 + 5770 video card :) 

For crying outloud, you're make all the power supply noobs crazy talking like that, they know it can't be done :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 7:05:00 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The GTX560 is only a 170w part, as I'm currently running two OC versions on a 620w PSU I think even a no name 500w would be able to run a single card. I know this flies in the face of popular opinion but that doesn't change what I think.

It's not the wattage mouse, it's the amperage. 50a on your HX620 compared to 18a on the steaming pile this thread is about.
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 7:09:50 PM

Quote:
Opinion is opinion and i cannot fault that.
But risk is definitly there...

But the money might not be. I've just seen a lot of single cards being run on quite crappy no name brands without any kind of problem whatsoever, it's when more than one card gets added to the mix the power requirements start to get interesting.
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 7:11:30 PM

delluser1 said:
It's not the wattage mouse, it's the amperage. 50a on your HX620 compared to 18a on the steaming pile this thread is about.

Yes I know, but the card itself only requires about 14amps.
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 7:17:24 PM

Quote:
I actually agree MM.
When i killed my 9800GTX it was a 2nd (SLi) to a cheapo 750watt psu i had.
But after that fiasco i decided to not cheap out on a psu and got a silverstone strider 1000 watt :D 
But now my psu will serve it's purpose in the next month as i add a 2nd gpu.

I've fried a couple of PSU's in SLi rigs but that was the thing, SLi. In a single card rig with a couple of fans a HDD, CPU, motherboard and RAM I have gotten away with some really shady PSU's.
December 3, 2011 7:20:41 PM

Whats the worst that could happen if Its not sufficient? dead GPU or worse?
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 7:25:52 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I've fried a couple of PSU's in SLi rigs but that was the thing, SLi. In a single card rig with a couple of fans a HDD, CPU, motherboard and RAM I have gotten away with some really shady PSU's.

I have too ( pair of G92's on a 375 watt psu :ouch:  ), not something I'm willing to reccomend to others though.
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 7:30:01 PM

And if it still fries, i'm sure MM has got a spare psu laying around somewhere longing to give away :ange: 
December 3, 2011 7:36:53 PM

Haha, I'm now not sure what to do. I think ill find a cheaper replacement that's a bit better than what we have now. I don't think I need something as beefy as that Corsair psu you linked from what's been said in this thread.
a c 119 U Graphics card
a c 86 ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 7:58:08 PM

delluser1 said:
For crying outloud, you're make all the power supply noobs crazy talking like that, they know it can't be done :lol: 

With ease, never even passes 180 watts with any games. Even games and prime do not much it any further then that.

But there is a difference with hand picked low power parts and under voltage.

Just saying even if the card will not pass 14 amps, 4 amps or 48 watts for the rest of the system is just pushing it.

I did build a X4 955BE system with a slight overclock(3.7), HD4870 single drive 2 stick of memory dvd. Very basic system. The power supply was a OCZ Z series 550(44 amps combined 12 volt 80+ silver).
a c 119 U Graphics card
a c 86 ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 8:00:26 PM

diddle283 said:
Haha, I'm now not sure what to do. I think ill find a cheaper replacement that's a bit better than what we have now. I don't think I need something as beefy as that Corsair psu you linked from what's been said in this thread.

Look at the Antec Earthwatts units. Fair price, not top end but tend to be stable and have good protection so if you do overload it in the future, it will just shut off without damaging the system(this is a feature on all good power supplies, they should power down or fold and not cause damage).

Always look for a combined 12 volt rail power(you can not add rails). since not all power supplies are created equal. For instance, my EA430 pushes 30 amps on its 12 volt rails, that is a fair bit more then the 18(144 watts less then the EA430) that your current unit is pushing despite the EA430 being "only"a 430 watt psu.
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 8:04:07 PM

diddle283 said:

To lazy to check which psu is that, but if you gonne upgrade the psu ; never go cheap on your psu. It's quite an important part of your system, probably the most important. Stick with a good brand like Corsair,Antec, XFX, Seasonic. It's important that all the right voltages are being delivered without distortions etc. A good 500W will do. A 500W Corsair sells from around 50 dollar.

a c 274 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 8:05:52 PM

nukemaster said:
With ease, never even passes 180 watts with any games. Even games and prime do not much it any further then that.

But there is a difference with hand picked low power parts and under voltage.

Just saying even if the card will not pass 14 amps, 4 amps or 48 watts for the rest of the system is just pushing it.

I did build a X4 955BE system with a slight overclock(3.7), HD4870 single drive 2 stick of memory dvd. Very basic system. The power supply was a OCZ Z series 550(44 amps combined 12 volt 80+ silver).
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/2972/prime955at37.png

If the PSU can push 480w then it has 40 amps not 18, 18 is the amount that can be drawn from one set of cables (typically referred to as rails) and that is because of the thickness of the wire (gauge) used.
a c 119 U Graphics card
a c 86 ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 8:07:57 PM

Mousemonkey said:
If the PSU can push 480w then it has 40 amps not 18, 18 is the amount that can be drawn from one set of cables (typically referred to as rails) and that is because of the thickness of the wire (gauge) used.

Incorrect, that is NOT a multi rail psu. It is in fact an older design that is heavy on the 5 and 3.3 volt rails(the last bit to make it to 500 is the - rails and standby power).

It only has ONE rail and its 18 amps.

it clearly says 481 .5 watts MAX combined across its 12 + 5 + 3.3

If it had multi rail, it would have a sticker like this

December 3, 2011 8:26:23 PM

nukemaster said:
Look at the Antec Earthwatts units. Fair price, not top end but tend to be stable and have good protection so if you do overload it in the future, it will just shut off without damaging the system(this is a feature on all good power supplies, they should power down or fold and not cause damage).

Always look for a combined 12 volt rail power(you can not add rails). since not all power supplies are created equal. For instance, my EA430 pushes 30 amps on its 12 volt rails, that is a fair bit more then the 18(144 watts less then the EA430) that your current unit is pushing despite the EA430 being "only"a 430 watt psu.

Them Antec Earthwatt psu's are no cheaper than the Corsair one linked above, are they better than the Corsair one? Im not bothered about spending the money, I just don't like wasting it :p 

Tell me what I need and i'll get it!!
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 8:30:08 PM

nukemaster said:
Incorrect, that is NOT a multi rail psu. It is in fact an older design that is heavy on the 5 and 3.3 volt rails(the last bit to make it to 500 is the - rails and standby power).

It only has ONE rail and its 18 amps.

it clearly says 481 .5 watts MAX combined across its 12 + 5 + 3.3

If it had multi rail, it would have a sticker like this

http://www.ocztechnology.com/images/awards/Z550_chart.jpg

Actually that sticker don't mean squat as the vast majority of PSU's all have their cables soldered to a single point on the PCB.
a c 119 U Graphics card
a c 86 ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 8:31:12 PM

diddle283 said:
Them Antec Earthwatt psu's are no cheaper than the Corsair one linked above, are they better than the Corsair one? Im not bothered about spending the money, I just don't like wasting it :p 

Tell me what I need and i'll get it!!

I guess they EA(earth watts have gone up in price). I have had NO issues with corsair. My latest earthwatts unit was a 650 watt, but i find it louder then its Corsair equivalent.

Where do you prefer to shop? this will help see what your local or online stores sell.
December 3, 2011 8:35:59 PM

nukemaster said:
I guess they EA(earth watts have gone up in price). I have had NO issues with corsair. My latest earthwatts unit was a 650 watt, but i find it louder then its Corsair equivalent.

Where do you prefer to shop? this will help see what your local or online stores sell.

Ill buy from any reputable retailer, as long as it gets to me in working order, im happy!
a c 119 U Graphics card
a c 86 ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 8:39:35 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Actually that sticker don't mean squat as the vast majority of PSU's all have their cables soldered to a single point on the PCB.

The sticker means EVERYTHING for the specs. that power supply is NOT going to pump more then 18 amps(because it is NOT a multirail unit, that is the reason you "Claim"it will push 480 watts @ 12 volts) @ 12 volts(maybe 20 before it starts to burn it out and take the system with it if the protection is not working)

Most PSUs that have those multi rail setups, have current limiters for each rail(all fed from a larger rail, this is why the OCZ gameXtreme 700 can not p15ump 18 amps on all rails). I know virtual rails(like on some OCZ[FSP based]) do not. But you are still limited to a combined 12 volt rail.

In the end. The OP's psu is not suitable for the upgrade. Fact, not opinion.
a c 119 U Graphics card
a c 86 ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 8:45:23 PM

diddle283 said:
Ill buy from any reputable retailer, as long as it gets to me in working order, im happy!

If money is even a bit of an issue, i think you should be ok with a Corsair Builder 430(or the 500 for a bit more power)

Remember when(or if) you add another card, you will want to keep an eye in it as a jump of 150(180-200 if you want to furmark it for some reason) watts is a fair bit. Also note computer parts do not use max power unless they are working very hard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-430CXV2UK-Builder...

Please note, I have never bought from Amazon, but ncix does not ship to the UK and shipping from some American sites may get pricy.

If you are looking for a more long term(pass many upgrades without need to replace it) setup. There are many other Corsair units(as well as Antec/OCZ/Seasonic and others). The builder series is a more value oriented unit.
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 8:47:48 PM

It's up to the OP whether they want to try it with their current PSU or not, it would be interesting to know whether the current PSU though because I reckon it would.
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 8:58:27 PM

I don't know what to believe now ; it's a moderator against a couple of veterans and a addict. I know MM knows his stuff, but so do DellUser and Nukemaster. :( 

Think i would have a go actually, but would have money laying around just in case.
a c 119 U Graphics card
a c 86 ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 9:04:57 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
I don't know what to believe now ; it's a moderator against a couple of veterans and a addict. I know MM knows his stuff, but so do DellUser and Nukemaster. :( 

Think i would have a go actually, but would have money laying around just in case.

Not going to lie, i did try to kill a 90 watt psu back in the day with a Celeon 800 @ 1.02 with 4 video cards. I only do this stuff with old hardware I don't care about. I just play it more safe on here(would hate to kill someones hardware).

The sheer age of that power supply design(not even 240->12 then 12->5 and 3.3 ect) scares me.....
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 9:06:01 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:

9 times out of 10 I'd agree with mm, just don't like that single 18a rail and wouldn't reccomend anyone try it.

Personally, I'd give it a go, but I do have spare cards and power supplies laying around.
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 9:13:41 PM

@Nukemaster ; know what you mean, still fearing the day someone comes here with a thread telling his whole rig got up in a blaze because of the psu i said was ok for the job. :ouch:  Rather play it save.

@ Delluser ; and that one time you don't gives good discussions ! Informative if anything.
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 9:20:50 PM

Isn't it nice when adults can agree to disagree without any animosity?
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2011 9:25:37 PM

Indeed, some day i'll learn that to :ange: 

But there you go again, using words my limited English can't manage. Great, have to google that.

"Animosity is a feeling of hatred arousing active hostility" Ah, quite !
December 12, 2011 8:53:15 PM

New psu still hasn't arrived and im itching to get this card installed!! was looking at trying it it today with the current psu, but it seems I don't have enough connectors? There's no 6 pin connectors, but the gpu came with 2 4-6 pin converters. it would seem I only have 3 spare 4 pin connectors but each converter has space for 2 4 pin connectors. Am I missing something here or is my current psu just complete crap and not have enough?
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2011 10:21:37 PM

diddle283 said:
New psu still hasn't arrived and im itching to get this card installed!! was looking at trying it it today with the current psu, but it seems I don't have enough connectors? There's no 6 pin connectors, but the gpu came with 2 4-6 pin converters. it would seem I only have 3 spare 4 pin connectors but each converter has space for 2 4 pin connectors. Am I missing something here or is my current psu just complete crap and not have enough?

Resist the urge! If you really want to try it, unplug your optical drive or extra hard drive and use that as the 4th one. Which new PSU did you end up buying?
December 12, 2011 10:31:54 PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001MTYS06/ref=mp_s_a_1...

I went with this one due to price/performance ratio! I've been trying to figure out if this is capable of sli with 2x gtx 560 ti (MSI OC edition)? Its sli ready but not sure with this card? Some say yes some say no! I might have to upgrade soon! Lol
December 13, 2011 1:57:22 PM

I know you have 2 560's MM. what power supply do you use?
a c 119 U Graphics card
a c 86 ) Power supply
December 13, 2011 2:02:19 PM

Corsair HX620W
December 13, 2011 2:15:22 PM

Just had a look at that one but its discontinued. will the 70w make all the difference? That one has 3 rails at 18a and the 550w I have ordered has 2 at 25a. it seems like such a small difference! (then again, im a complete noob to this, I am learning though!!)
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 13, 2011 2:53:21 PM

diddle283 said:
Just had a look at that one but its discontinued. will the 70w make all the difference? That one has 3 rails at 18a and the 550w I have ordered has 2 at 25a. it seems like such a small difference! (then again, im a complete noob to this, I am learning though!!)

When I built the gaming that my current one evolved from I decided that I was going to stick with the mid to high mid graphic cards that would require no more than 600w - 650w for them and the rest of the rig, it's worked for me so far as this PSU is now in it's third rig.
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 13, 2011 3:13:21 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Whilst a 550w isn't quite enough I think Guru3D overestimate the requirement a bit.

Aha, Bad Guru !

No, probably to include crappy psu's, so indeed ; a good 600-650W will do fine.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!