Making poster from digital pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

I recently took a look at Rasterbator, but I recall seeing, many
months ago in PC World magazine, an app that would upsample a pic and
then cut it into multiple smaller files, for creating a collage from
multiple prints. For instance, it would take an image and output a 5x5
array (or whatever you selected) that could be printed at
8x10/4x6/etc, and hung on a wall, instead of just upsampling and
printing one huge poster.

Does anyone know of a Windows app like this? I don't know if I'll use
it, but I'm curious, and I think my wife may want me to create
something like that for a large, blank bedroom wall...

Thanks,
Martin O'B

On Fri, 20 May 2005 13:38:53 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Martin
O'Brien <usenet@martinobrien.com> wrote:

>I recently took a look at Rasterbator, but I recall seeing, many
>months ago in PC World magazine, an app that would upsample a pic and
>then cut it into multiple smaller files, for creating a collage from
>multiple prints. For instance, it would take an image and output a 5x5
>array (or whatever you selected) that could be printed at
>8x10/4x6/etc, and hung on a wall, instead of just upsampling and
>printing one huge poster.
>
>Does anyone know of a Windows app like this? I don't know if I'll use
>it, but I'm curious, and I think my wife may want me to create
>something like that for a large, blank bedroom wall...

Qimage, http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

"Martin O'Brien" <usenet@martinobrien.com> wrote in message
>I recently took a look at Rasterbator, but I recall seeing, many
> months ago in PC World magazine, an app that would upsample
> a pic and then cut it into multiple smaller files, for creating a
> collage from multiple prints. For instance, it would take an image
> and output a 5x5 array (or whatever you selected) that could be
> printed at 8x10/4x6/etc, and hung on a wall, instead of just
> upsampling and printing one huge poster.
>
> Does anyone know of a Windows app like this? I don't know if I'll
> use it, but I'm curious, and I think my wife may want me to create
> something like that for a large, blank bedroom wall...

There are probably several programs (or even printer drivers that come
with the printer) that can do that, but it seems hard to beat the
quality and productivity gain of "Qimage"
(http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/).

The 'different' looking interface may take some time to get used to,
but if you follow the "Learn by example"s in the help file then you'll
probably have your mural poster before the free trial period expires.
In particular see:
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/qimagehlp/lbe.htm#6

The price for further use is modest (also because all upgrades to
newer versions are free), and the number of features is overwhelming
(as are the new features that get added, often as a result of user
requests). Support by the author is excellent, and there is a Yahoo
support forum.

Bart

Martin O'Brien wrote:

> I recently took a look at Rasterbator, but I recall seeing, many
> months ago in PC World magazine, an app that would upsample a pic and
> then cut it into multiple smaller files, for creating a collage from
> multiple prints. For instance, it would take an image and output a 5x5
> array (or whatever you selected) that could be printed at
> 8x10/4x6/etc, and hung on a wall, instead of just upsampling and
> printing one huge poster.
>
> Does anyone know of a Windows app like this? I don't know if I'll use
> it, but I'm curious, and I think my wife may want me to create
> something like that for a large, blank bedroom wall...

Also try stitching together a panorama to get enough detail to cover a
wall. There are easy free programs to let you make a 100MP image or
whatever size you want. Then slice it up, print & tape back together.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1