melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
It will be for a pentium dual core G530 socket LGA 1155. Im wondering which is better but im thinking that since im getting a
dual core the die will be smaller and more centerd and this will run maybe 24/7 so im not sure which is better but the
212 EVO is $35 and the 212+ is $30 with a $10 mail in rebate so im not sure the 212+ will be a better deal.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
No.

Anything is better than the stock cooler.

A 212+ and a 212 Evo have no noticeable differences until you look at the bottom. The 212+ has heatpipes on the bottom with gaps. The Evo does not and have a continuous copper base. This facilitates better heat transfer compared to the spread out heatpipes in the 212+ but it is negligible (1-3C as stated). Since the 212+ has a $10 MIR this month; i don't see why you shouldn't get it.

Quiter and cooler and powerful enough to last you if you want to upgrade to another CPU in the future.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

ok, well here are what some people said about this cooler.

Definitely better than the stock Intel fan. Blades turn smoothly and effortlessly. No so the stock fan.

Cooler is better than the stock Intel. Quiet. Easy to install. Nice added touch with the cable sleeve, I wish Intel would do that. Super fast shipping by Newegg as always.

Similar in style to original Intel cooler but taller heat sink and slightly larger fan with shroud included. Lower temperatures then the stock cooler. Pre-applied thermal grease is convenient and works fine.

OK, quieter, maybe just slightly (thinking that may be a placebo thing going on there), but I REALLY don't think it would cool much better than the stock cooler. It's not a copper heat pipe type (looks just like the stock cooler actually), so I really don't see how it could cool that much better.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Why not get an aftermarket? It's much more efficient compared to the stock (crappy) intel cooler, much quieter, and dissipates heat much better. You get idle temps of 40-50C with the stock cooler and idle temps of 30-40c with aftermarkets that tops off at upper 50's compared to high 60s ' lower 70s for the stock cooler.

I would say that would warrant an aftermarket. Less noise thanks to a bigger 120mm fan which dissipates more heat than the smaller but faster moving (louder) fans on the stock / small coolers.

:lol: You'll only have temps under 30 AT IDLE anyway (POSSIBLY). Hell, I don't even have temps UNDER 30 at idle with my 212 Evo, unless I turn the fan to 100%. Yes, I have a 2500K, but still.

It's almost impossible to be too much under 30 with air cooling.

This is idle for me with my 212 Evo with the side of my case off and cool air from an A/C vent nearby...

Untitled4.png

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
20c is theoretically possible if you live in a cold place (up north) like alaska / top of canada/ Scandinavian countries.

A good aftermarket cooler will keep your CPU in the low 30 c's given your ambient temperatures isnt like 100 degrees F (39 C?). No Stock intel CPU cooler will do that.

As a rule of thumb. Air coolers will always be above ambient temperatures. How far above ambient temperatures depends on how efficient the design is and how powerful the fans are.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

well... it's warm where im at right now and i get about 25c on a overclocked system about idle!!!!

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Really? Im not sure what you mean. I have 8120 so is my temp suppost to be this low?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts