How to setup eyefinity 6 with two cards

futurebless

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I have two Radeon HD6770 cards. I hooked up all my cables and all of my monitors came to life, however I cannot get the eyefinity setup where my six monitors all act as one desktop. I've gotten pretty close messing around on the AMD Vision Engine Control Center but that disabled two monitors and tried to create a quad monitor display. Everywhere I look references to the AMD Catalyst Control Center. Do I need that?

lee3821

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
The "AMD Vison Engine Control Center" is Catalyst Control Center. It just shows up with that weird name if you're running both an AMD CPU and AMD GPU. It's the exact same program. However, I do not know exactly the solution to your problem.

Ninja Pants

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Can you be more specific on your setup? I assume you have 2 eyefinity 6 version 6770's (the standard only support up to 5 displays) so despite 6 mini-DP outputs have you connected several active mini-DP to DVI adaptors or are you running monitors with built in miniDP clock + DAC (such as apple LED cinema displays)?

lee3821 is correct, but I would suggest it is more likely that you problem stems from the setup. Would like to help but you need to be more specific.

He doesn't need more horsepower if he'll use it for browsing the web/something else light on GPU.

futurebless

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I have two HIS Radeon HD 6770 which are both running 3 displays each. My problem is that I cant get them to run a single desktop, instead I have two desktop each in a 3x1 configuration.
And this setup was for day trading, but I did want to play games in my freetime :-( lol

Ninja Pants

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I have two HIS Radeon HD 6770 which are both running 3 displays each.

So they're not in Cross-Fire? And they are not eyefinity-6 version cards? So you have 3 monitors per 6770. I assume you have connected them via DVI-DVI-DP ports, so do you have an active DP-DVI adapter on the DP or mini-DP? (Are the 4 screens that are working the 4 connected directly to DVI-D/I/A whatever cables you have?)

Also im going to assume here that you do not want eyefinity, so no 3/6 screen gaming, single desktop, because if that is what you are trying to do all monitors have to connect to the one primary graphics card, hence the eyefinity-6 versions cards with 6 mini-DP ports.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
To get eyefinity to work, the monitors all have to be running at the same resolution and connected to the primary card. To get crossfire to work, the monitors all have to be connected to the primary card, whether or not you're using eyefinity.

I don't know if 6770 can handle 6 monitors, though, so probably no 6 screen eyefinity. But don't worry, 2x6770 doesn't have the horsepower to handle 3x2 eyefinity in new games anyway.

I think a better solution, if you do plan on gaming on this machine, is connect the cards in crossfire and connect the max amount of monitors you can to the primary card (probably 5 if you have enough active display ports) and use a single monitor for playing games. Just treat each monitor as a separate desktop for your trading, you probably don't need to span the display across them.

Ninja Pants

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
To get eyefinity to work, the monitors all have to be running at the same resolution

This is not true, you can have different resolutions and despite allot of posts you can have different monitors of different sizes, however you will not be able to use any bezel management unless you flash the EDID's to 'trick' the system into seeing 3 identical monitors.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Do you have a link for this? When I was researching an eyefinity setup (opted not to get one), I understood if you wanted to have a 1920x1200 monitor combined with a 1600x1200 monitor on each side, the center monitor also had to be set at 1600x1200, giving a total resolution of 4800x1200 instead of 5120x1200.

Ninja Pants

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
OK so let me rephrase it slightly, if you have different resolutions it will still work, when different native resolutions in eyefinity, the highest common non-native resolution between the monitors will be used however monitors running in extended desktop mode can have independent resolutions.

So depending on your setup if you want an eyefinity group (for gaming) you may have 'black bars' on either the top & bottom, or left & right of some or all of the monitors.

Sorry for any ambiguity in my previous comment, hope this makes more sense.

Check out the Eyefinity FAQ's: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDEyefinityFAQs.aspx#CONQ3