Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

A8 vs athlon 64 x2 500 & 9600gt

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2012 1:36:20 AM

So i was curious if the A8-3870k solo would outperform my AMD athlon 64 X2 5k & nvidia Gforce 9600GT 512MB?

i know CPU wise it is almost 3x faster in benches. i was more curious how it would compare in terms of gaming and i dual graphics would sorely out perform my current build?

More about : athlon 500 9600gt

a c 900 à CPUs
May 18, 2012 5:37:59 AM

Yes with dual graphics it will outperform your 9600GT.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 480 à CPUs
May 18, 2012 8:23:59 PM

It depends on the video card you intend on using. If you stick a Radeon HD 6450 with your A8 APU, then chances are the 9600GT will be faster. Using a Radeon HD 6670 will be a different matter since the HD 6670 by itself is faster than a 9600GT.
Share
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2012 8:32:05 PM

i am thinking about upgrading to an a8-3870k OC plus a 6670 OC to replace my current Athlon 64 x2 5k and 9600gt. i will primarily be playing wow, swtor, and maybe some diablo 3. also i don't mind turning down grafix to playable levels. but would like to get wow to ultra and maintain about 40ish FPS+ i know high populated areas and raid will murder this but yea. i was looking to upgrade on the smallest budget possible or should i just wait for trinity or pile driver as intel is too much but i know they are better.
m
0
l
a c 480 à CPUs
May 18, 2012 8:47:53 PM

I think running dual graphics with a HD 6670 will result in performance similar to a Radeon HD 6750 based on posts made by others.

Regardless, the HD 6670 by itself will give better performance than a 9600GT so using it in "dual graphics mode" will only increase the performance.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2012 8:56:41 PM

jaguarskx said:
I think running dual graphics with a HD 6670 will result in performance similar to a Radeon HD 6750 based on posts made by others.

Regardless, the HD 6670 by itself will give better performance than a 9600GT so using it in "dual graphics mode" will only increase the performance.


or should i go with a cheap mainstream amd or cheap intel with a descrete card . right now i now my major limiting factor is my processor.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2012 1:27:09 PM

rinval said:
or should i go with a cheap mainstream amd or cheap intel with a descrete card . right now i now my major limiting factor is my processor.



Yup, makes more sense to buy a cheap SB, like the pentium G860. Even the core i3-2100 is quite cheap.
With a LGA1155 socket mobo, you can upgrade to a more powerful processor at any time:)  some 1155 mobo's can accept IB processors too :) 

The FM1 socket is already dead. The 3870K is THE fastest processor that will ever sit in that socket....NO upgrade path.
Plus, I've heard that running in "dual graphics" mode causes micro stutters and stuff.....not sure.....just what i've read.


In my option, get the Core i3-2100 + HD 6670, and you will be happy for quite some time:) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2012 6:35:37 PM

$hawn said:
Yup, makes more sense to buy a cheap SB, like the pentium G860. Even the core i3-2100 is quite cheap.
With a LGA1155 socket mobo, you can upgrade to a more powerful processor at any time:)  some 1155 mobo's can accept IB processors too :) 

The FM1 socket is already dead. The 3870K is THE fastest processor that will ever sit in that socket....NO upgrade path.
Plus, I've heard that running in "dual graphics" mode causes micro stutters and stuff.....not sure.....just what i've read.


In my option, get the Core i3-2100 + HD 6670, and you will be happy for quite some time:) 


i play alot of MMO like wow, swtor, LOTRO, etc that ive heard are cpu bound so im just curious if the I3 would have enough umph or if i should save and go for an i5 or higher FX. i know the FX are slower in terms of gaming but i do alot of video editing and recoding etc using mutli threaded apps so still makes them viable to me.

Bulldozer still makes me cry b/c they gave it the FX title and it is such an unimpressive processor unless you go crazy overclocking it.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 2:21:36 AM

rinval said:
i play alot of MMO like wow, swtor, LOTRO, etc that ive heard are cpu bound so im just curious if the I3 would have enough umph or if i should save and go for an i5 or higher FX. i know the FX are slower in terms of gaming but i do alot of video editing and recoding etc using mutli threaded apps so still makes them viable to me.

Bulldozer still makes me cry b/c they gave it the FX title and it is such an unimpressive processor unless you go crazy overclocking it.


well frankly speaking, i have no idea about cpu bottlenecks in those games u've mentioned :)  , but i really doubt that an i3 would choke those games:) 

That being said, for more 'umph', u can try the FX-6200, 6 cores clocked quite high, but uses upto 125W.

On the other hand, just see if u can get you hands on an i5-2320 for the same price, should be faster overall, and is only @95W.
The 30W delta adds up over time if your system is running for large amounts of time daily, but the FX is unlocked :D 

In the end the desicion is yours....u mite as well settle for an i3-2120, or wait for Vishera :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 3:19:09 AM

$hawn said:
well frankly speaking, i have no idea about cpu bottlenecks in those games u've mentioned :)  , but i really doubt that an i3 would choke those games:) 

That being said, for more 'umph', u can try the FX-6200, 6 cores clocked quite high, but uses upto 125W.

On the other hand, just see if u can get you hands on an i5-2320 for the same price, should be faster overall, and is only @95W.
The 30W delta adds up over time if your system is running for large amounts of time daily, but the FX is unlocked :D 

In the end the desicion is yours....u mite as well settle for an i3-2120, or wait for Vishera :) 


sounds like a plan thanks.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 3:19:58 AM

Best answer selected by rinval.
m
0
l
!