Solved

Rare micro stutters

I've had an issue lately with micro stuttering. When the system lags the audio makes a buzzing-type noise out of the sound that is currently playing and everything including the cursor lags for a split second. These occur either randomly in independent instances or in spurts of multiple stutters. It's kind of embarrassing considering what I'm running:

Core i7 2600
16 GB DDR3 @ 1333mhz
Nvidia GTX 560 ti
WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Corsair GS600 600w PSU
Windows 7 64 bit
Biostar TH67B Mobo

I believe it to be a driver issue for the chipset or Realtek audio. Either that or the processor / motherboard are failing. Any ideas?
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about rare micro stutters
  1. Real copy of windows? BTW did you update bios, drivers etc.?
  2. Yes the copy is genuine. I had the system working fine with the correct drivers before I had to reinstall windows for a black screen issue. But I think now I might be running some stock Microsoft drivers. I'm just looking for verification on this speculation.
  3. How about updating the bios?
  4. No. I guess I should check with Biostar for any recent updates. How would the BIOS cause this stuttering?
  5. I have had this happen before as well. Particularly in bethesda games such as fallout/skyrim. I am curious to the cause myself because the sound shouldn't be affected by graphics, though I got it to stop by lowering graphic settings I had elevated in the control panel. Particularly AA and transparency AA. Occlusion as well.
  6. Should I reinstall Windows 7?
  7. Did updating the bios fix anything?
  8. No. But now I have a worse issue. My ping in games is now unplayable. I'm so close to just reinstalling windows.

How likely is it that a shop tech may have "sabotaged" my computer?
  9. Are you positive you have updated ALL drivers? Board, card, EVERYTHING! This also includes BIOS updates!!
  10. I know I keep thickening the plot on you, here, and I'm sorry but I'm in a unique position.

My computer has had a black screen issue recently that I believe was caused by some driver conflict. The computer was working as it was and I'm still to afraid to change anything for fear of that black screen returning. (The reason I took it to a shop at all. Embarrassing)

Ever since it came back from the shop:
    1. Some windows updates didn't install. I ended up doing them manually.
    2. The micro stutters appeared.
    3. My CPU fan throttles sporadically on warm days.
    4. Login takes suspiciously long.

I'm so ready to just start from scratch again. Feels bad, man.
  11. Best answer
    I had the exact same issue. This is how I described it on another forum:
    Quote:
    Hi, I have an occasional Audio/Video stutter when listening/watching different media files. the best way I can describe the stutter is that the audio sound is it's like a repetitive da,da,da,da..........approx 12-18 of these "da" sounds in about 2 seconds to with a quick video freeze for each "da" .

The stutter is not dependent on the type of media (CD's, DVD's, Mpeg, AVI, MKV, MP3, FLAC). It can happen with any media or media player

If that sounds like what you have, maybe what I did will help.

I created a 4GB Ram Disk, disabled the paging file an all other drives and dedicated the entire Ram Disk to a Paging file, except for the tiny amount win 7 requires you to keep free.

The program is called "Dataram RAMDisk v3.5" and it's free as well as being completely certified by windows for Win 7 64bit and many others.

Someone had posted this as a fix for Micro stutter. There are allot of very good reasons why this fix shouldn't work for Micro stutter or the more serious kind of stutter you have (I had both). So I can't tell you why it worked only that IT DID when nothing else would (including reinstalls of the OS with all the latest drivers and bios).

It's also worth noting that both stutter issues eventually went away with (I presume) driver updates and I no longer need RAMDisk for this issue.

So yes Bios and drivers first. Then if all else fails you can try RAMDisk until some update comes along and fixes the issue permanently.
  12. I'm going to reinstall regardless of black screen potential. This includes all the latest drivers and BIOS updates. If that doesn't work I will gladly use your method until I can "jump ship" to a new CPU+MoBo+RAM+GPU combo. Thanks, guys.
  13. Best answer selected by anxiousinfusion.
  14. Thanks for the B.A. "anxiousinfusion". I'm curious were you able to resolve the issue?
  15. UPDATE: For anyone that may be reading this because of the same issue, I have found it to be caused by the Rosewill RNX N300X wireless PCI adapter while running on Microsoft drivers for said device. If you have this card it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that it runs on manufacturer drivers (Ralink) to have a smooth experience. I still don't understand how an improper installation of a wireless adapter could cause the whole system to stutter. 0.0
  16. anxiousinfusion said:
    UPDATE: For anyone that may be reading this because of the same issue, I have found it to be caused by the Rosewill RNX N300X wireless PCI adapter while running on Microsoft drivers for said device. If you have this card it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that it runs on manufacturer drivers (Ralink) to have a smooth experience. I still don't understand how an improper installation of a wireless adapter could cause the whole system to stutter. 0.0

I am having this issue. Where do I find the right drivers?
Ask a new question

Read More

Components