What is a good PSU for my build

icemanx007

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hi all. i need some suggestions on a decent PSU for my build. my corsair hx1000w PSU just went out. i plug it in and it flips my living room breaker. so i need and new one obviously.

My build:
EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified MB
Intel Core i7 920
6gigs of Corsiar Dominator GT 1600 ram
2x EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked
1x Seagate Barracuda 750gig HDD

all in a Coolermaster Sniper Storm case loaded with fans. I need a decent reliable PSU thats not goin to fail me on any of that stuff. I dont plan on overclocking. Now i know this MB has 2 atx 12v 8pin connectors but only one is required for this MB to work perfectly fine. Would very much appreciate some good feedback. THX in advance.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 260 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode a minimum of a 650 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors is recommended.

Is your living room breaker able to handle the inrush current of the Corsair HX1000W when it is turned on?

icemanx007

Honorable
May 17, 2012
thx for the quick replies everyone. yes my breaker can handle the power its been running for the last 3 years. i just got up one morning and it was shot.

i more looking for advice on brand and model here. i know the specs i need.

thx all.

rdzona

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

Well if you know the specs, and you clearly already owned a quality PSU, even though it went out on you, it seems like you don't need that much advice. How did you end up with that corsair HX to begin with?

These guys truly test out psu's better than anyone on the net as far as I've come across. Just browse through their reviews and if you pick one up that is gold or silver rated I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong.

http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/psu_power_supplies/