Sign in with
Your question

Blue tint, poor resolution at 32 bit color quality

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2011 9:30:46 PM

I am having a problem with getting a crisp display. I had a few thermal events that caused several shutdown. I re-applied thermal paste to the CPU cooler, blew out the dust and the PC works fine now.

At 32 bit color quality, the display has a distinct blue tint. At the user start up menu, a lighter colored circle appears in the upper left quadrant. The desktop has what looks like intermittent 1 mm pin striping. I wonder if it's because the color is slightly darker than the surrounding areas.

At 16 bit color quality, the tint is almost gone but the pin striping is still there.

The overall screen resolution is much worse than it was before and lacks the sharpness it used to have.

I have a ATI Radeon X600 SE graphics card in a Dell XPS200. I changed to generic onboard video in system set up and had the same problem. I removed the drivers and downloaded and re-installed the drivers without any success. I tested the RAM and tested each stick. I have the original hard drive that came with the machine (I've been using a cloned hard drive for about about 4 years) and the display is still a problem.

I want to rule out video driver and OS problems because the two hard drives should not both have the same problem.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 3, 2011 9:33:58 PM

Could you take a picture and upload it somewhere?
m
l
December 4, 2011 4:52:50 PM

I took a screenshot and put it in Word. Is there a way to upload the Word document to the thread?

I also downloaded a copy of SnagIt and have a PNG file. I'm not sure where or how I could post it for you to see the problem.

(I checked my other computer and the color quality is 16 bit too so I'm not sure what purpose 32 bit would be. I'd be happy if I could get the 16 bit working okay.)

m
l
Related resources
a c 86 U Graphics card
December 4, 2011 5:19:42 PM

take a screenshot, paste it in Paint, save as .png, upload to www.imageshack.com
m
l
a c 86 U Graphics card
December 4, 2011 5:25:17 PM

anyhow, it sounds like other display/monitor settings change in addition as well, like colour temperature and resolution. the striping might be caused by lower than native resolution, or wrong phase/clock settings on the monitor if using analog connection, ie VGA rather than digital dvi.

in here http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ are a bunch of test images you can use to calibrate the monitor properly, or should I say adequately.
m
l
December 4, 2011 5:49:03 PM

Check out the areas where the colors might transition.

I tested the output with a CRT and got the same results.
m
l
a c 86 U Graphics card
December 4, 2011 6:12:26 PM

ok, so we can rule out pretty much everything I suggested in the earlier post for the cause of the striping.
but since there is no blue tinting on that picture that I could see, the tinting is caused by colour temperature settings on your system (monitor or windows' display settings...)
m
l
a c 86 U Graphics card
December 4, 2011 6:24:40 PM

so just to recap
you're getting that striping on:
2 different os installs on 2 different harddrives?
2 different monitors?
at 32 and 16 bit colour quality?
both on the radeon x600 and also with the onboard integrated gpu?

are you using the same display cable? maybe there's a pin loose or something... (nope cant be that since it wouldn't show on the screenshot.)

maybe the wallpaper picture itself is corrupted, change it to another one...
m
l
December 4, 2011 6:26:19 PM

The tinting happens if I change the resolution to 32 bit color quality. I'm not sure when I would do this. I took a SnagIt with the resolution at 800 X 600.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
m
l
a c 86 U Graphics card
December 4, 2011 6:28:37 PM

have you tried changing the colour temperature settings to get rid of the tinting?

btw theres no stripes on that pic...
m
l
December 4, 2011 6:29:50 PM

Your recap is pretty much right. The only thing that I'm not sure about is that I didn't take the video card out when I changed to onboard video. I'm still using the DVI connector through the X600. There's a capped video output that I tried but I couldn't get past the POST because it said to use the video card.
m
l
a c 86 U Graphics card
December 4, 2011 6:35:12 PM

bobdros said:
Your recap is pretty much right. The only thing that I'm not sure about is that I didn't take the video card out when I changed to onboard video. I'm still using the DVI connector through the X600. There's a capped video output that I tried but I couldn't get past the POST because it said to use the video card.
you were still using the x600 in that case then... there might be a bios option to select the gpu, but most of the time it just defaults to using the dedicated card if it detects one in the system.
m
l
December 4, 2011 6:52:20 PM

I'll take the card out and see if I can use the video adapter on the MOBO.
m
l
December 4, 2011 7:13:10 PM

Well, that did it! I took out the video card and changed to on board video in system set up. The display looks okay now. It's the video card! Thanks, Kari!
m
l
!