Sign in with
Your question

New build suggestions

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2012 7:50:35 PM

Hello all, I am in the process of building a good gaming rig and would like some advice. I haven't really played in the hardware world in a long long time, so any suggestions you could give, i'd appreciate it. Also please give a reason as to why you suggest the parts that you do.

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as I can get a Intel 3930K C2 stepping :)  Hopefully sooner than later.

Budget Range: Hard to say...lets just be reasonable. :) 

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required:
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Programmable Gaming Keyboard with Color Display
Mouse: RAZER Black 7 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Optical/Laser 6400 dpi Mamba 2012 Elite Ergonomic Wireless Gaming Mouse
Harddrive1: Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (OS Drive)
Harddrive2: Kingston HyperX SH100S3/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Data/game install drive)
Monitor (reusing): Asus VK278Q Black 27" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Webcam

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg or amazon typically

Country: Shipped from USA - doesnt matter where manufactured

Parts Preferences:
Processor: Intel 3930K C2 Stepping (unless you can show me somethings that tops it, besides the extreme version)
Graphics (x2): nVidia (Unless someone can give me a better alternative)

Overclocking: Maybe - air cooling compatible

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:

So basically, the parts that I need are:

Motherboard (LGA2011)
Processor Cooler (compatible with Intel 3930K and thermaltake Level 10)
Ram (Balanced large amount with fastest speed possible)
Video Cards x2
And anything else that you can see that I missed...

So please give your opinions and why you would choose that part. I appreciate all feedback, as building PCs these days gets pretty confusing with things such as RAM speed and limitations on other things.

Thanks all,
Scott

More about : build suggestions

February 2, 2012 7:53:29 PM

Since the 3930K is just like the i7-2600k and 2700k in that it has hyperthreading, I say pass on it. Hyperthreading is not used in modern games and won't be used for quite some time. Personally, I would save the $360 and use it on 2 x 7950/7970.
m
l
February 2, 2012 8:26:11 PM

1) Few games use more than 2 or 3 cores, let alone 6. Unless you will be running multicore enabled apps, or games that can use more than 4 cores, look at a 2500K instead.
With a modest OC you will do very well.

2) Current intel cpu's are largely insensitive to ram speeds. No need for >DDR3 1600.
Read this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

3) For a single monitor, a single 7970 is about as good as it gets today. Only if you will be doing triple monitor gaming would cf/sli be appropriate.

4) I don't know if I would go wireless mouse for a top end gaming rig.

5) Did you include a quality psu?
Look to Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, or PC P&C to name a few good brands.

6) About the best quiet and simple cooler is the noctua NH-D14. There is a se2011 version(different mounting kit) for socket 2011.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2012 10:43:12 PM

azeem40 said:
Since the 3930K is just like the i7-2600k and 2700k in that it has hyperthreading, I say pass on it. Hyperthreading is not used in modern games and won't be used for quite some time. Personally, I would save the $360 and use it on 2 x 7950/7970.

Thanks for the info. I typically like to "try" to future proof my PCs...What do you think the timeframe is that a 6 core CPU will be more relevant to gaming?

geofelt said:
1) Few games use more than 2 or 3 cores, let alone 6. Unless you will be running multicore enabled apps, or games that can use more than 4 cores, look at a 2500K instead.
With a modest OC you will do very well.

2) Current intel cpu's are largely insensitive to ram speeds. No need for >DDR3 1600.
Read this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

3) For a single monitor, a single 7970 is about as good as it gets today. Only if you will be doing triple monitor gaming would cf/sli be appropriate.

4) I don't know if I would go wireless mouse for a top end gaming rig.

5) Did you include a quality psu?
Look to Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, or PC P&C to name a few good brands.

6) About the best quiet and simple cooler is the noctua NH-D14. There is a se2011 version(different mounting kit) for socket 2011.

1) Basically the same question as above - What do you believe the timeframe will be for 6 cores to be more relevant in gaming? I don't plan on building a new rig for quite some time.
2) Thanks for the article and advice! This was one of the bigger challenges to understand with all the articles/opinions out there.
3) I eventually plan on doing some sort of dual (and possibly triple) monitor setup. I could probably get one and upgrade to later. And it seems the 7970 is the popular choice around here? :) 
4) At the moment, I use a Razor Lachesis and really have had no problems (wired) - but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if their gaming grade wireless (1ms polling) would be able to pull it off. I could always pick up another mouse if the need arises.
5) Good question. I was looking at them but didn't completely decide. Although looking again and at some reviews, and it seems that SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Modular Power Supply seems like a great catch. Although it had a few reviews about coil whine (and a few about DOA), I may be willing to take that chance.
6) I was checking out some reviews and pics of that cooler and it seemed a few people had a few issues with RAM clearance. Otherwise, it looked pretty good. Is it pretty good at handling the extra heat from overclocking?

Keep the thoughts coming!
m
l
February 3, 2012 2:46:10 AM

Puhac said:
Thanks for the info. I typically like to "try" to future proof my PCs...What do you think the timeframe is that a 6 core CPU will be more relevant to gaming?

1) Basically the same question as above - What do you believe the timeframe will be for 6 cores to be more relevant in gaming? I don't plan on building a new rig for quite some time.
2) Thanks for the article and advice! This was one of the bigger challenges to understand with all the articles/opinions out there.
3) I eventually plan on doing some sort of dual (and possibly triple) monitor setup. I could probably get one and upgrade to later. And it seems the 7970 is the popular choice around here? :) 
4) At the moment, I use a Razor Lachesis and really have had no problems (wired) - but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if their gaming grade wireless (1ms polling) would be able to pull it off. I could always pick up another mouse if the need arises.
5) Good question. I was looking at them but didn't completely decide. Although looking again and at some reviews, and it seems that SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Modular Power Supply seems like a great catch. Although it had a few reviews about coil whine (and a few about DOA), I may be willing to take that chance.
6) I was checking out some reviews and pics of that cooler and it seemed a few people had a few issues with RAM clearance. Otherwise, it looked pretty good. Is it pretty good at handling the extra heat from overclocking?

Keep the thoughts coming!

1) Game developers want the widest possible audience, so they don't want to develop a game that requires a 6 core to run decently. The only game I know of that might fit that category is FSX. By the time games really need more cpu, ivy bridge will have come and gone; just mo opinion.
2) Dual monitor gaming seems not to happen, the bezel in the middle is a problem. for triple monitors, then a 7970 should do the job today, and who knows what 28nm nvidia will bring in April?
5) Unless your electricity is priced horribly high, and you pay the bills, I would not pay the premium for platinum rated psu's
I figure a dual 7970 is going to need 800w; they ARE more efficient. Nothing wrong with a 900-950w unit if you really plan on cf with 7970.
Here is a silver rated PC P&C 950w silencer, good price too($129-ar):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6) 1.5v ram really does not need fancy heat spreaders. They are mostly marketing, possibly good for record seeking overclockers. Low profile ram will do just fine and not impact any cpu coolers.
m
l
February 6, 2012 1:30:03 AM

Thank you all for the responses.

Any ideas on the motherboard? I have been looking at the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, but if you have any other suggestions, please tell me why! (Also, I realize this is for the LGA 2011 proc).

Thanks!
m
l
February 9, 2012 7:53:10 PM

Also, with the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, any thoughts on the upcoming i7-3820? Apparently it's not really overclock friendly, according to this, but it does run on the LGA2011.

If I did choose the i7 2700, what motherboard has the best features that support that chipset?
m
l
February 9, 2012 8:49:17 PM

Puhac said:
Also, with the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, any thoughts on the upcoming i7-3820? Apparently it's not really overclock friendly, according to this, but it does run on the LGA2011.

If I did choose the i7 2700, what motherboard has the best features that support that chipset?

Lga 2011 is, to my mind, promarily for servers and workstations that can run multithreaded apps, and can utilize large(>16gb) amounts of ram.

Neither capability is particularly useful for the gamer. Of technical interest is the multiple pci-e capability, but currently two X8 lanes with good graphics cards will get you 98% of the fps and a much more attractive price.

I also think there is only a small niche for the high priced "enthusiast" motherboards. Not that they aren't good, but normal priced boards with the same chipset will, again, be 98% as effective.

If one has an unlimited budget, then by all means go ahead.
m
l
!