Problems with gtx 460, screen not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaird

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
hello and thank you for your time, i just got this PNY gtx 460 card but it only came with 1 PCIe 6pin to 2 molex cable, i installed it and tried to test it but the screen doesnt get signal from the start.
i know the rest of the PC is working well since i can hear the login window on Windows 7, any suggestions of how fixing this?

thanks in advance.

Solution
I've never heard of an Alcazar PSU, so I can't vouch for it. Look on the nameplate and see what amperage (A) the +12V rail(s) offers. Off the top of my head, I think the GTX 460 requires 13 -14 amps. Maybe someone can correct that if I'm wrong. Get yourself another 2 x Molex to PCIe adaptor and try to connect each PCIe power cable to a different Molex cable string... if your PSU's +12V rail(s) allow that amount of amperage.

If not, and better yet, upgrade to a new PSU.

Remember: you have to have both 6-pin connectors on the card powered.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That's strange that it only came with one Molex to PCIe power adaptor. They must figure you'll have at least one PCIe power cable on your PSU. The card requires both 6 pin sockets to be powered before it will work. If your PSU doesn't have at least one PCIe power cable, it may not be of sufficient size to power the card. What IS the size of your PSU?

mclaird

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
its a 500w Alcazar PSU, from EDGE SYSTEMS, a little old so it only have molex cables. as far as i udnerstood the card needs 450w as a minimum so i tought it would be covered

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've never heard of an Alcazar PSU, so I can't vouch for it. Look on the nameplate and see what amperage (A) the +12V rail(s) offers. Off the top of my head, I think the GTX 460 requires 13 -14 amps. Maybe someone can correct that if I'm wrong. Get yourself another 2 x Molex to PCIe adaptor and try to connect each PCIe power cable to a different Molex cable string... if your PSU's +12V rail(s) allow that amount of amperage.

If not, and better yet, upgrade to a new PSU.

Remember: you have to have both 6-pin connectors on the card powered.

Solution

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Yeah, I would recommend upgrading PSU. It may be expensive around this time with xmas and so forth but at least you can always upgrade you rig further down the line :)

mclaird

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
i managed to fixed it, thank you for the replies, turned out i only needed another 6pin PCIe to molex converter to draw enough power for the card, but still im really considering upgrading my PC for future cases.

thank you kindly for all the support and i guess this thread is closed

cheers

:D

mclaird

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

special thanks cultchc, thanks to your recommendation i could overpass the issue, oh and i guess 25 amps is enough for the card, or maybe not? im not sure heh

oh well, thank you kindly once more for your time and patience

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.