Compact flash question

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 20, 2005 8:25:03 PM

I have a Nikon 5700 and purchased a Lexar 1gb Ulta flash card at Costco.
Guess what....It didn't fit.
It was too small and got lost in the flash slot. Was it me, or did I
purchase the wrong type card?
Thanks,
John

More about : compact flash question

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 8:25:04 PM

John:

According to Nikon, your camera can use either format, C/F type 1 or
type II. However, you MUST be sure it's COMPACT FLASH.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 9:21:37 PM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 16:25:03 -0400, John wrote:

> I have a Nikon 5700 and purchased a Lexar 1gb Ulta flash card at Costco.
> Guess what....It didn't fit.
> It was too small and got lost in the flash slot. Was it me, or did I
> purchase the wrong type card?

It's hard to see how it was too small, as the only flash cards I'm
aware of that are larger are the credit card sized PCMCIA type cards
normally used with laptop computers, and I don't know of any cameras
that use those. Not all of Nikon's cameras use the same card type.
Some use CF (Compact Flash) cards and others use SD cards. Are you
sure that you got a CF card? It seems like you might have been
inadvertantly sold the wrong type of card, all of which really would
be too small to fit in a CF card slot.
May 21, 2005 12:56:26 AM

John wrote:
> I have a Nikon 5700 and purchased a Lexar 1gb Ulta flash card at
> Costco. Guess what....It didn't fit.
> It was too small and got lost in the flash slot. Was it me, or did I
> purchase the wrong type card?
> Thanks,
> John

You need a CF not and SD card.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 12:58:24 AM

Ed Smith"I came into the world with nothing and I still have most of it"
"John" <jlinsk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I have a Nikon 5700 and purchased a Lexar 1gb Ulta flash card at Costco.
>Guess what....It didn't fit.
> It was too small and got lost in the flash slot. Was it me, or did I
> purchase the wrong type card?
> Thanks,
> John
> The 5700 can take a type I or II, maybe he bought a sd card.>
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 2:29:19 AM

"John" <jlinsk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I have a Nikon 5700 and purchased a Lexar 1gb Ulta flash card at Costco.
> Guess what....It didn't fit.
> It was too small and got lost in the flash slot. Was it me, or did I
> purchase the wrong type card?
> Thanks,
> John

hey john...

sorry to hear your bad luck... are you absolutely positive that you
bought/needed a CF card?
there are also type I and type II cards - type II is a little bit thicker -
may that be the problem?

sid
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 2:37:23 AM

"John" <jlinsk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I have a Nikon 5700 and purchased a Lexar 1gb Ulta flash card at Costco.
> Guess what....It didn't fit.
> It was too small and got lost in the flash slot. Was it me, or did I
> purchase the wrong type card?

It doesn't need a genius to work out that you bought the wrong card does it?
On the other hand, why don't you troll elsewhere.
H.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:29:29 AM

"John" <jlinsk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I have a Nikon 5700 and purchased a Lexar 1gb Ulta flash card at Costco.
> Guess what....It didn't fit.
> It was too small and got lost in the flash slot. Was it me, or did I
> purchase the wrong type card?
> Thanks,
> John

me again - i dug this up for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#History
it shows you (in "history") links to the most common flash storage types at
the moment - including compact flash (CF) and secure digital (SD). id like
to know what happened.

take it easy!
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 4:53:37 AM

"Hannah" <hannah@example.com> wrote in message

> "John" <jlinsk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> I have a Nikon 5700 and purchased a Lexar 1gb Ulta flash card at Costco.
>> Guess what....It didn't fit.
>> It was too small and got lost in the flash slot. Was it me, or did I
>> purchase the wrong type card?
>
> It doesn't need a genius to work out that you bought the wrong card does
> it?
> On the other hand, why don't you troll elsewhere.
> H.
While it's true, it doesn't take a genius to figure out he has the wrong
card, it does take some effort to come up with some of the dumb responses.
Dave Cohen
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:42:26 PM

John wrote:
> I have a Nikon 5700 and purchased a Lexar 1gb Ulta flash card at
> Costco. Guess what....It didn't fit.
> It was too small and got lost in the flash slot.

> Was it me, or did I
> purchase the wrong type card?

YES - Or you are trying to put it in sideways - make sure the contact holes
are on the face you are inserting... ;-)

Guy
!