Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD Athlon II x2 220 --> AMD phenom II x4 965? Some help needed.

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 18, 2012 7:48:10 AM

All right, so..., about a year ago i bought myself an Emachines package computer (BIG mistake) And i upgraded it's PSU (500W Corsair) and the GPU (Radeon HD 6670), and i also bought 4 more gigs of ram = now 6Gb in total. But now i would like to upgrade my computer's CPU. At the moment it has a AMD athlon II x2 220 95W, and i'd like to know if i could upgrade to AMD Phenom II x4 965 125W (It's the same socket...) Mainly because playing the latest games can be quite demanding from a dual core cpu :p  The question is can my motherboard handle an 125w processor? Emachines support is out of the question, I am not going to waste my money by calling to a hotline from across the world :D  .
The manual says though that it's compatible with AMD phenom II X3...

Specs:
AMD Athlon II x2 220 -2.8Ghz
AMD Radeon HD 6670 1Gb DDR5
Motherboard: I think its a ET1352? That's the model of the computer at least... (Emachines)
500W Corsair PSU
500Gb HDD
6Gb DDR3 RAM

I'm really grateful for any help or advice, I've been trying to find some knowledge on the interwebs, but... came up with almost nothing :lol: 
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 18, 2012 8:29:26 AM

vilve said:
AMD athlon II x2 220 95W 65W?

Motherboard: I think its a ET1352? That's the model of the computer at least... (Emachines)

ET1352-43? Do you know the suffix of your model?

eMachines EL1352-43 Motherboard Specifications

May 18, 2012 8:40:05 AM

WR2 said:
ET1352-43? Do you know the suffix of your model?

eMachines EL1352-43 Motherboard Specifications

Thanks for the reply :)  I'm sorry to say but i have no idea about the suffix... My manual just says ET1352 (same thing on the case) And oh yeah the CPU was 65W sorry for that :p  And the link seems to be EL and not ET. But thanks anyway :lol:  :) 
Related resources
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 18, 2012 8:43:57 AM

You're right. Google mis-fire.

Have you scouted the eMachine Community forums to check on what other ET1352 owners are doing for upgrades?

Without any other resources that's about your best source of what would work (and maybe what would not). If you can't find someone else who did it already - you might be the first to find out it was a mistake to try.
May 18, 2012 8:53:56 AM

WR2 said:
You're right. Google mis-fire.

Have you scouted the eMachine Community forums to check on what other ET1352 owners are doing for upgrades?

Without any other resources that's about your best source of what would work (and maybe what would not). If you can't find someone else who did it already - you might be the first to find out it was a mistake to try.

Yeah... I spent like 3-4 Hours Googling this issue and trying to find someone who has upgraded, Found 1 guy whos last sign in oon the forum was about 9 months ago :p  So no help there... (He had upgraded but didn't specify how and what model) I couldn't email him either :(  Well i guess this is what happens when you buy shitty package computers :lol:  I can only blame myself. But i can't thank you enough for helping out. :)  We'll see how it goes, maybe i'll just buy a new motherboard sometime and go from there :p  Never gets simple enough, huh? :D 
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2012 10:10:58 AM

Have you opened up the case and looked on the motherboard for a model number? or even part number ... you'd be surprised what google may throw up if you search either.
May 18, 2012 10:53:50 AM

wr6133 said:
Have you opened up the case and looked on the motherboard for a model number? or even part number ... you'd be surprised what google may throw up if you search either.

Yeah i got something off of it. The first line was covered by the cpu but the last two lines were: 48 . 3BV01 . 01M Made in china :D  i'll give you a photo...

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l521/vilve/?action=...!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1122.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl521%2Fvilve%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DIMG_20120518_133459.jpg hopefully you'll make something out :D 
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2012 2:48:53 PM

I really doubt your MoBo can take a 125W CPU, TBH. Usually OEM MoBos have a 95W ceiling.

The biggest upgrade in your case would have to be the PhII 945 95W or an Athlon II X4 640. Also, it seems your MoBo is AM3, so you're safe with most CPUs from AMD.

Cheers!
May 18, 2012 4:02:53 PM

Yuka said:
I really doubt your MoBo can take a 125W CPU, TBH. Usually OEM MoBos have a 95W ceiling.

The biggest upgrade in your case would have to be the PhII 945 95W or an Athlon II X4 640. Also, it seems your MoBo is AM3, so you're safe with most CPUs from AMD.

Cheers!


So you say i would be safe when i upgrade to Phenom II X4 945? that's awesome. Thanks alot :D  The 945 doesn't really even differ from the 965 except the 0,2 Ghz drop :p 
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2012 5:16:34 PM

vilve said:
So you say i would be safe when i upgrade to Phenom II X4 945? that's awesome. Thanks alot :D  The 945 doesn't really even differ from the 965 except the 0,2 Ghz drop :p 


Beware though, the PhII 945 has 2 variants: 125W and 95W, be sure to pick the box and read that it is indeed the 95W.

Also, just out of curiosity, does your MoBo use the 4 pin extra header for power? If it does, it is indeed 95W, if it doesn't have one, it could be rated for 65W only. For that nVidia chipset, there are such MoBos for OEMs IIRC.

Cheers!
May 18, 2012 5:34:23 PM

Yuka said:
Beware though, the PhII 945 has 2 variants: 125W and 95W, be sure to pick the box and read that it is indeed the 95W.

Also, just out of curiosity, does your MoBo use the 4 pin extra header for power? If it does, it is indeed 95W, if it doesn't have one, it could be rated for 65W only. For that nVidia chipset, there are such MoBos for OEMs IIRC.

Cheers!

Do you mean like the CPU fan 4 pin connector thingy that connects to the mobo or whatevs? :D  and if that's what you mean then yes, yes it does. Thank you so much for the help, I'm very happy about getting to upgrade to a Quad core :)  I can finally stream and play some CPU demanding games a lot better ;)  So thanks to all of you.
May 18, 2012 6:17:09 PM

Quote:
I really doubt your MoBo can take a 125W CPU, TBH. Usually OEM MoBos have a 95W ceiling.

As Youka said. So I'm gonna get a AMD Phenom II X4 945 which is 95W Quad core 3.0 Ghz. That should be just enough for modern games? maybe? Let's hope so.
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2012 6:21:42 PM

He sounds like a Spam Bot, discard his post.

That CPU will be quite an upgrade for you, don't worry.

Cheers!
!