Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sapphire HD5870 EYE6 Fan Dying - Aftermarket coolers?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2011 12:41:02 AM

Hello all,

I have a Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 edition graphics card, and the fan is quite obviously dying. It just started happening yesterday which surprised me because it has never done this before. Come home hoping to finish configuring my recently upgraded comp (went from an old C2Q to a i5 2500k). Turn on the computer and I hear an awful grinding noise. Seems to slowly quite down (not all the way) with time, but it's annoying as hell and I don't want the card to crap out because of inadequate cooling if it fails.

Specs:

Coolermaster HAF 932
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
HD5870 Eyefinity 6
HIS HD5870 1GB
Coolermaster V6GT

I have the two 5870's crossfired (obviously). I don't want to warranty it back to Asia or wherever the hell they want it sent, i'm just looking for an aftermarket cooler that will work with my setup. They Eyefinity card is on the top and the other on the bottom, though that can change if need be. Problem is, most of the aftermarket coolers I have seen make the card a 3 slotter, which would be far to close to either the second 5870 (if on top) or the PSU (if on bottom). I just don't know what cooler to get.

Or, since this seems to be a common problem with the Eye6 blower card, does anybody know a way to fix it? Like oiling the fan? If that is the case, how would I go about this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
December 4, 2011 1:07:50 AM

Pigbearman said:
Hello all,

I have a Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 edition graphics card, and the fan is quite obviously dying. It just started happening yesterday which surprised me because it has never done this before. Come home hoping to finish configuring my recently upgraded comp (went from an old C2Q to a i5 2500k). Turn on the computer and I hear an awful grinding noise. Seems to slowly quite down (not all the way) with time, but it's annoying as hell and I don't want the card to crap out because of inadequate cooling if it fails.

Specs:

Coolermaster HAF 932
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
HD5870 Eyefinity 6
HIS HD5870 1GB
Coolermaster V6GT

I have the two 5870's crossfired (obviously). I don't want to warranty it back to Asia or wherever the hell they want it sent, i'm just looking for an aftermarket cooler that will work with my setup. They Eyefinity card is on the top and the other on the bottom, though that can change if need be. Problem is, most of the aftermarket coolers I have seen make the card a 3 slotter, which would be far to close to either the second 5870 (if on top) or the PSU (if on bottom). I just don't know what cooler to get.

Or, since this seems to be a common problem with the Eye6 blower card, does anybody know a way to fix it? Like oiling the fan? If that is the case, how would I go about this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have one of these on my 5770, but in order to make it work I had to dremel a little off the left hand corner, but the mount is a proper fit and it only takes up 2 slots. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Score
December 4, 2011 1:36:37 AM

Any other options? I don't really feel like having to cut up a cooler after buying it. I also shelled out a good bit for the upgraded components so I'd like it to be $50-$80
Score
Related resources
December 4, 2011 1:52:41 AM

Sadly that looks like it also would make the fan a 3-slotter. Any coolers that WONT do this?
Score
December 4, 2011 1:54:56 AM

Pigbearman said:
Sadly that looks like it also would make the fan a 3-slotter. Any coolers that WONT do this?

You could always try hunting down a similar model that died on someone, maybe ebay or something...
Score
December 4, 2011 2:01:58 AM

Since this one failed pretty early in it's life, i'd rather not replace the cooler with the same type that will probably just fail again, looking at its track record. Looking for something I can buy off amazon or newegg.

I'm just wondering if the cards that take up 3 expansion slots will work? At the moment I have probably a 1" gap between my two cards.
Score

Best solution

December 4, 2011 2:07:16 AM

Pigbearman said:
Since this one failed pretty early in it's life, i'd rather not replace the cooler with the same type that will probably just fail again, looking at its track record. Looking for something I can buy off amazon or newegg.

I'm just wondering if the cards that take up 3 expansion slots will work? At the moment I have probably a 1" gap between my two cards.

Looking at a photo of your motherboard it looks like you should have enough room, although probably a bit cramped.
December 4, 2011 3:42:55 AM

It's a blower fan, not a regular fan that just dissipates the heat inside the case.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2011 3:55:23 AM

Oh sorry didn't notice that.
Score
December 11, 2011 1:24:12 PM

Best answer selected by Pigbearman.
Score
!