How to hook up a monitor

z911122

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hi all,

I'm currently building a gaming system that I got as a barebones kit. I'm currently stuck in that there is no VGA port, only a HDMI, Serial port, and Parallel port.

Thus, I currently need to install the OS, configure BIOS, etc. but there is no display. I have a working HDMI cable and receiver (it works well with an XBox) but when I boot up the system with my OS disk, nothing shows up.

Can somebody help me please?

z911122

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
The motherboard model is GA-Z68AP-D3. I have a HD 6870 Graphics card, but I think that's irrelevant since I have not installed it yet (I haven't even installed the OS). I do not have a monitor, instead I planned to use my TV (FlatTV from Phillips).

To above: HDMI to DVI wouldn't help. I don't have a DVI monitor. And since a HDMI-HDMI connection didn't work, I doubt a HDMI-DVI connection would.

z911122

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I'm currently trying to install the motherboard CD, but I can't because there is no display. The TV is set to receive HDMI signals, since it's the same port I use when I connect the XBox, which works fine.

z911122

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
^I believe that is the issue. Unfortunately, I'm in a catch 22 situation. I can't switch the default display without accessing BIOS, but I can't view BIOS without a display.

I also do not have a VGA port on the motherboard, so there's no way for me to hook up a VGA monitor to it.

z911122

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hmm, but wouldn't that be exactly what I do not want? I need the computer to boot off of a HDMI rather than a VGA. Or would resetting the CMOS make it boot off the HDMI?

In addition, I do not think it is booting off the Graphics Accelerator card, since I've tried hooking up the TV to the card's HDMI port as well, and nothing showed up.

z911122

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I've just cleared the CMOS values. However, the TV still shows a blank screen, even when I switched to the other HDMI port. Perhaps there's something I didn't connect correctly? Any common things I should check up on?