Sign in with
Your question

How to hook up a monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2011 1:33:15 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently building a gaming system that I got as a barebones kit. I'm currently stuck in that there is no VGA port, only a HDMI, Serial port, and Parallel port.

Thus, I currently need to install the OS, configure BIOS, etc. but there is no display. I have a working HDMI cable and receiver (it works well with an XBox) but when I boot up the system with my OS disk, nothing shows up.

Can somebody help me please?

More about : hook monitor

December 4, 2011 3:13:00 AM

wht is motherboard model and name also monitor do you have a pci-e grapihc card
m
l
December 4, 2011 3:37:03 AM

You can buy a HDMI to DVI adapter if you need to.
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2011 4:24:28 AM

The motherboard model is GA-Z68AP-D3. I have a HD 6870 Graphics card, but I think that's irrelevant since I have not installed it yet (I haven't even installed the OS). I do not have a monitor, instead I planned to use my TV (FlatTV from Phillips).

To above: HDMI to DVI wouldn't help. I don't have a DVI monitor. And since a HDMI-HDMI connection didn't work, I doubt a HDMI-DVI connection would.
m
l
December 4, 2011 4:39:05 AM

did you install the motherboard cd,also set tv to receive signal from hdmi port
m
l
December 4, 2011 5:38:59 AM

I'm currently trying to install the motherboard CD, but I can't because there is no display. The TV is set to receive HDMI signals, since it's the same port I use when I connect the XBox, which works fine.
m
l
December 4, 2011 7:08:52 AM

Are you sure that the onboard VGA is enabled in bios? And for it to boot off of that vs. a pcie card?
m
l
December 4, 2011 3:22:21 PM

^I believe that is the issue. Unfortunately, I'm in a catch 22 situation. I can't switch the default display without accessing BIOS, but I can't view BIOS without a display.

I also do not have a VGA port on the motherboard, so there's no way for me to hook up a VGA monitor to it.
m
l
December 4, 2011 5:18:45 PM

You could take out the CMOS battery or if the motherboard has a reset bios/cmos button you can press that. Hopefully that resets it to default to boot off of that.
m
l
December 4, 2011 5:24:38 PM

Hmm, but wouldn't that be exactly what I do not want? I need the computer to boot off of a HDMI rather than a VGA. Or would resetting the CMOS make it boot off the HDMI?

In addition, I do not think it is booting off the Graphics Accelerator card, since I've tried hooking up the TV to the card's HDMI port as well, and nothing showed up.
m
l
December 4, 2011 5:25:35 PM

Resetting the CMOS might make it boot to HDMI because HDMI = VGA in bios if that makes sense. The onboard video chipset it one card so if it boots off that your good.
m
l
December 4, 2011 6:42:31 PM

I've just cleared the CMOS values. However, the TV still shows a blank screen, even when I switched to the other HDMI port. Perhaps there's something I didn't connect correctly? Any common things I should check up on?
m
l
!