Vos17

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I been looking into getting a sound card for my computer,
i been using the onboard audio since i got it 2 years ago.

My main question is since i mainly play games on my computer,
what would be a good sound card that doesn't cost too much?
(meaning nothing well over 150, around is okay)

I been looking at the Creative soundblaster Recon3d series
though i can't understand the huge price gap between
regular and fatality (for the beam forming microphone? pfft)

Any suggestions would be great, i keep seeing alot about Asus
and other sound cards but have never had experience with them.

Currently right now i have a 2.1 Onkyo set up but i will be getting a high end 5.1 (or 7.1) headset
soon. So mainly will be needing the soundcard for that.

Vos17

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
The card i mentioned, the Recon3D, in any way the 150$ price tag worth it?

i will never have more than a 2.1 speaker setup (small room) so anything
that is good for headsets is what im looking for.

I am looking at the card you mentioned, great price, just iffy about
i never owned anything other than creative products.

Just want your opinion, im here because for audio, im clueless (educate me, lol)

The Recon3d lineup is crap. Plain and simple. Even at $50, I couldn't recommend it.

If you go the headphone route, if you ever go or plan to go with high impedance headphones, you might want a soundcard with a built in amplifier; the cheapest one would be the ASUS Xonar DG, followed by the [discontinued, but still around] Auzentech Forte.

As far as Creative goes, the only two soundcards they have that are any good are the Titanium and Titanium HD. Problem is, both are overpriced, with other brands [ASUS/Auzentech/HT Omega] offering better for less.

Also note, the DX requires an [ever rarer] floopy power connector. Most PSU's still have one built in, but just make note of that.

Vos17

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
hmmm, ill have to check if my PSU has the floppy power connector before investing in the DX then... im sure it does but i should double check.

Any other suggestions? I been hearing good things about HT and Asus.

What would you suggest for around 75-150?

SteelLAD

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I agree with gamer and can personally vouch for the Asus Xonar D2X. Paired with my Sennheiser PC 360's the sound quality is truly fantastic, orders of a magnitude better than onboard sound.

Vos17

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
i am looking at the d2x right now, only retailers i've never heard of are selling it, has it been discontinued? Newegg says so, and amazon has them for more than what others are selling it for.

Is there a comparable newer model out?

Vos17

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

Are you using it for gaming and occasional music?

That is mainly what i am curious about. I don't wanna pay for audiophile standards
but yet again, i don't want somethin slightly better than my onboard sound.

I got some realtek audio chip on my board, can't really say much more about it. lol

Btw that card is a great price, i just want to be sure about it first.

f4nt4sm4

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

I'm actually using it and it's great, the only feature that I see that is a hassle is to go to asus control panel to switch between front audio and backpanel audio.

Btw my headphones are a Syberia V2 Red, they are great for FPS (BF3, BC2, etc).

Vos17

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Can you explain how its a hassle? because exactly how your using it, is how i would be. Back panel audio for my 2.1 speakers, and front panel for my headset when i am going to chat and talk to people.

f4nt4sm4

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Well the hassle it's you cannot listen in front panel and backpanel simultaneously, so if you want to use your headphones (connected through front panel) you need to go to the Asus control panel and select front panel output, and then when you want to use your 2.1 speakers you need to go to the control panel again and change it.

Yes, Creative is that bad. Their older chipset [X-fi] was solid, but they used very low end parts to drive down costs at the expense of quality. Then they sold the models at a higher then justified price due to lack of competition at the time. Auzentech, then later ASUS and HT Omega have largely changed that though. Their new chipset, the Recon3D line, was a major step backward. Creative lowered overall quality, removed features, added one EQ default setting (scout mode, or an FPS preset), and sold the cards for over double their justified price. At least the Titanium/Titanium HD were decent cards, but the rest are simply junk at this point.

At $75 or so, the ASUS Xonar DX is king. Quality really doesn't improve much as you go up in price, though there are a few model cards with a few extra features built in that might justify a higher price [The D2X, HT Omega Claro Halo, and Auzentech Meridian 2G]. Barring the need for a headphone amp, there really isn't any reason to spend above that level.

If you can find one for under $120, an Auzentech Meridian 2G, Auzentech Forte, HT Omega Claro Halo, or ASUS Xonar D2(X) would offer a decent upgrade over what the DX offers, but for 99% of the market, the DX is more then sufficent for their needs.

As far as headsets go, it depends on what you like [open/closed, acoustic or bass, etc]. I'm personally using a pair of BD DT770's (250 Ohm version) paired with my ASUS Xonar Xense, and love it. The 32 Ohm version of the same headset would likely be a good pair for the DX, but again, it depends a lot on what you are going for. [The hifi.org guys are better in that area then I am though.]

f4nt4sm4

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

Yep, that's exactly the same that I have :D, just watch out cuz there's another version with pci 2.0.

Vos17

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I plugged in my friends Recon3D which does sound really good
over my onboard audio. Though i know im not gonna spend that much
on somethin that aint worth that price.

The Asus Xonar does look really appealing (even though it does take the awkward power cord)

My only other question is how is this card, stacked up against the others?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

For gaming that is, and some music playing.