New Build Loud Fans / Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthieublack

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a new computer (minus the hard drive, monitor, os, keyboard, mouse..) and upon putting it together, I find the fans are obnoxiously loud, especially when running any game.

There is a fan in the power supply, the heatsink, the video card has 2 fans, and there is also a large fan on the back and front of the case. All fans are functioning, it's just the sound is incredibly loud. Nothing is obstructing the case, but the case does seem to heat up very quickly.

Here are the specs:

Coolermaster Elite 335 Black ATX Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 6X3.5INT 1X3.5EXT
500W PSU
Gigabyte 970A-D3 AMD970 ATX AM3+ DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI RAID SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard
Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB 2X4GB DDR3 1866MHZ PC3-15000 9-11-9-27 1.65V XMP Ready Desktop Memory Kit x2
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 6 Core Processor 3.3GHZ Socket AM3 Retail Box
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 Windforce 820MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI Display Port PCI-E Video Card

Running on all stock settings, I see no reason for the desktop to be heating up the way it is, it just doesn't make sense.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

matthieublack

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

thanks, i'll try that. Also gonna add another 120mm fan to the front, see if that helps. Was wary to get a case with a PSU included, the cable the PSU came with was really thin and got really hot as well.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Pop the side of the case off. Feel for heat. Once you locate the source of the heat, you can deal with that problem. If its the CPU, its probably not thermally connected to the fan or the fan isn't sinked properly.

You can also look for airflow obstructions which could cause the heat issue as air is unable to move through the case.

matthieublack

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

When hot, CPU heatsink is basically cold to the touch. PSU has large amounts of heat coming out the back, so i'm guessing it's causing everything else to work overtime, probably because of it being a low quality PSU.

And I really think it's the PSU. after doing some research. Thermal Master must be one of the worst PSU brands out there, and coolermaster just throws it in cause it's cheap i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.