Need help! System wont detect my DVD-ROM anymore??

G

My system will not detect my AOPEN 12x40x DVDROM drive and my PLextor 121032A anymore! Events leading up to this: my bro installs W2k, not needed so we undo it... THen W98 starts giving blue screen on bootup saying that CDRWPD901) cannot be loaded at +0000AD23 or something, in short, it lost the burner for burning, its still there with the drive letter G: under my computer...
I think, lets try isntalling new firmware, so i install that, reboot, and all of a sudden it waits a long time when detecting IDE drives and it doesnt detect my DVROM drive or my Writer at all anymore?!?!?!? Its nowehere in sight under windows either!!! I need help, i have no CD reading or anything now!!!!

Please please if you have the slightest clue please do speak up, my thanks

AMD 1 gig TBird,
ASUS AV7700 Pure 32 mb running latest NVIDIA Dets
Abit KT7A mobo no raid
IBM DTLA 46,1 hd
256 mb SDRAM PC133
ASUS 12x40x DVD Drive (but not anymore)
Plextor 12x10x32xA CDRW (but not anymore)

Anyting else needed?

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
hmmm, you installed Win2K, decided you did not need it and "undid" it, now Windows 98 has problems with your CD and DVD drives.

Did the problems exist prior to the Win2K install?

G

No I had no problems

The situation has changed now btw,

It picks up the DVD drive as a secondary master slave (i think sorry) but the Writer is not there in the boot up...

In windows it finds both of em, gives em the right drive letters. I still get that blue screen about the writer (it comes up three times btw) My DVDROM works perfectly normal now again, my writer however, ahs its ccupied light flickering constantly and will not open!

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
If I was in that position, Fdisk, format, reinstall Windows 98, not sure if that is an option for you though, if not, uninstall the burner and verify the system operates properly without the CD Burner, if it does, you can be pretty sure something was off on the config of the burner, try to reinstall the burner at that point.