Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asus Sabertooth X58 socket 1366 build need help big time.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Sabertooth
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2012 2:40:41 AM

I need some help with a build that is long over due. Any help I recieve is really really most appreciated.

I have a sealed retail box Intel i7-950 CPU I was planning to install into a ASUS P6X58D-E Socket 1366 board. However due to some complications at the store I normally order from I had recieved an open box board. Needless to say I was unhappy about this as I was expecting a brand new board.

I asked the store if they can order me the ASUS P6X58D-E as brand new but told me it is no longer available. Rather then use the P6X58D-E I have decided to go with the ASUS Sabertooth X58.

I know the Sabertooth is a good board but I don't know what RAM would be good to pair with this board.

I am hoping someone who is familar with the Sabertooth X58 board can help me select what RAM would be good to pair this board + an i7-950 CPU with. Also I have another parts I had purchased below I was intending to use in an P6X58D-E board and would like to know if they would work for the Sabertooth instead.

I mainly wish to buy all my parts from www.canadacomputers.com as its a local store and close to me. If not I can consider ncix.com as well but prefer to order from canadacomputers if at all possible.

Approximate Purchase Date: 4 to 5 days from today's date

Budget Range: $1000.00 to $1500.00

System Usage from Most to Least Important:

High End PC Gaming

RAID 0/1 would be nice later on but not needed right now. Hoping once prices for HDD return back to normal maybe I would raid 0 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB drives.

Games to be played on System:

Counterstrike 1.5
Counterstrike Source
Bad Company 2 & 3
Any high graphic game that comes out in the next year

Internet Explorer Browsing
Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Access, Excel
Downloading/Uploading Streaming Video
Music Player
Computer Programming (Visual Basic, C++, Java, Perl, HTML/XHTML)

Parts Not Required (Parts I Already Have):

CPU -> Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366

SSD -> Corsair Force Series Sata 3 Solid State Drive
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1...

Graphics Card -> EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB 1024MB GDDR5 (01G-P3-1561-KR)
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4...

Power Supply -> Corsair Professional Series HX850 Modular 850 Watt 80PLUS Silver Certified Power Supply (CMPSU-850HX)
Case -> Cooler Master HAF X
Heat Sink -> Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 4 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
Thermal Grease -> Artic Silver MX-4
CD/DVD Burner -> Generic $30.00 one

Parts Still Needed:

Motherboard -> Asus Sabertooth X58
RAM -> Not sure
Hard Disk Drive -> Thinking Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB to buy one now for secondary storage.
Windows 7 Professional 64 BIT OEM Disk -> Canadacomputers sells it for $149.99 with service pack 1. Would like to get it cheaper if possible.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.canadacomputers.com or as a last resort www.ncix.com (prefer canada computers as its local and I know the people there)

Parts Preferences: No preference as long as it works.

Overclocking: Maybe later on.

SLI or Crossfire: Not needed but maybe later on.

More about : asus sabertooth x58 socket 1366 build big time

Best solution

February 3, 2012 2:52:39 AM

Quote:

Motherboard -> Asus Sabertooth X58
RAM -> Not sure

You will need triple channel RAM for an X58 system. Here's a couple of recommendations that I could pull from the site you linked to:

- Kingston Hyper X: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...

- G.Skill Ripjaw X: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...

Alternately I highly suggest going to Asus' website and checking the QVL (qualified vendor list) to see what's compatible and what isn't. But based on the specs it will require either 3 x 2GB or 3 x 4GB DDR3 triple channel at 1600MHz or 1333MHz with voltage of 1.65.

Quote:
Hard Disk Drive -> Thinking Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB to buy one now for secondary storage.

The Caviar Black are excellent drives but I wouldn't suggest getting one right now due to the shortage - the Samsung Spinpoint will be significantly cheaper.

Quote:
Windows 7 Professional 64 BIT OEM Disk -> Canadacomputers sells it for $149.99 with service pack 1. Would like to get it cheaper if possible.

As long as you're not using over 16GB of RAM you can get by with Windows 7 Home Premium which will be significantly less.
February 3, 2012 3:06:07 AM

If you plan on running XP programs, getting the Win 7 Professional 64 bit isn't a bad choice.

Otherwise, yeah, what g-unit said :) 
Score
Related resources
February 3, 2012 3:16:23 AM

vollman1 said:
If you plan on running XP programs, getting the Win 7 Professional 64 bit isn't a bad choice.

Otherwise, yeah, what g-unit said :) 

You only need Pro if you're running over 16GB of RAM or you're using XP legacy programs / drivers. You only need Ultimate if you use any of the language packs. If you don't need either of those - go with Home Premium. On an X58 system it makes sense to have it because if you want to add more RAM you don't need an OS upgrade but otherwise that's it.
Score
February 3, 2012 3:54:42 AM

I would stop at 12gb. I have a Sabertooth X58 with an i7-970 on it and I built mine with 24gb. I find I rarely use that much RAM even under heavy usage including virtualization. Love this board been running my machine under Windows 8 since the Technical Preview edition came out, runs like a dream. Even better multicore support, I'd personally run the tech preview until the real thing comes out buy the OS then.
Pick a DDR3 Triple Channel kit from any of the major brands Corsair, Crutial, Mushkin, Kingston, G Skill, OCZ.
Score
February 13, 2012 6:17:22 PM

Best answer selected by chrisbek.
Score
February 13, 2012 8:57:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!