Question about Case, Mobo, and SLI GPU compatibility

RobsterCraw

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I'm close to putting together my first custom build since I was in HS. I want to make sure that my plan will work. I don't think I will be buying two GPUs to start but even if I get just the one to start, I want to be sure that my system is ready for two GPUs SLI'd when the time comes.

I wanted to get some feedback on the compatibility of the following:

Case: Silverstone FT02 :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163161

MoBo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

PCIe WiFi Card: ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074

GPUs: Reference design GTX 570 or GTX 560 ti 448 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130622

Basically I want to be sure that I can have two GPUs running optimally in the case and on this MoBo while sharing the space with a PCIe wireless adapter.

Note: the GPUs will be on a WC loop when this system is fully built.

I'm pretty committed to the case. Is this the right MoBo for the job? Any recommendations about how to do this better?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Helltech

Distinguished
I can't see spending all that money on a case, and then just getting a GTX 560 448, lol. I prefer the Raven to the Fortress, plus its cheaper, but to each his own.

Just talking out of compatibility you will be fine. Not sure how good of a water cooler case the fortress makes though....

Whats the rest of the build? Monitor resolution?

RobsterCraw

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
The WC loop may seem like overkill but the main goal of the set up to have a quiet, gaming capable build, emphasis on the quiet.

Whole System
Case - SILVERSTONE Fortress Series FT02B-W
PSU - CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA
CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
HDD - OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-240G
GPU - EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570
Networking Device - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI Express 300/300Mbps
Physical Media Drive- SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner
Monitor - 2x Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED

WC loop and cooling parts
pump & Reservior - XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir - w/ Alphacool VPP655
CPU blocks - Koolance CPU-370
GPU blocks - Coolance VID-NX580 (GeForce GTX 580/570)
radiator - Black Ice SR1 Low Air Flow Optimized - 560 Radiator
Fans - Stock Case Fans
tubing - Primochill Pro LRT
Fittings - Bitpower chrome G1/4" Barb Fitting 1/2" ID
Clamps - Stainless Steel Shielded Hose Clamps for 1/2in.OD.Tubing
Fan controller - Aerocool CoolPanel 3 Color LCD / Multi-Function Panel / 56-in-1 Card Reader

I know that this case is thought to be poor for WCing but it turns out that with minimal modification, the Black Ice SR-1 560 rad will fit right in the bottom. If I were using certain AMD GPUs this would not work out so well, but with the GTX 5XX series there is plenty of room.

Also, I know that the GTX 560 ti 448 and the GTX 570s aren't the top performers, especially as single cards, but I would like to either stay economical or not sink too much into this generation of GPU when the Kepler stuff and whatnot will probably be a very worthwhile upgrade. As a military vet who used to use BF2 not only for fun but also for the sake of nostalgia, I'm really looking to have BF3 performance as the main gaming goal of this build. Unfortunately for ultra settings with anti-aliasing on, that currently requires either a very expensive card drawing serious watts, or two more economical cards (like the GTX 560 ti 448) in SLI (also drawing serious watts). My temptation is to have a single 560 ti 448 for now and to buy a GTX 6XX that is a little more future proof in 6 months.

The WC loop, the case and all that may be overkill for the single GPU to start, but I'll be putting more firepower into it in the not too distant future.

Monitor resolution is 1920 x 1080.