What is a Fair price for a used Nikon D100?

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 20, 2005 10:32:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

All,

Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100? I have a
friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new Nikon D2X
bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).

He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with the
veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now I'm asking
specificly about price for a used D100.

Thanks,
Bryan

More about : fair price nikon d100

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 10:32:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

"Bryan O. Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff~>@fenstermacher.net> writes:
> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100?

A fair price is how much the seller could reasonably expect to get for
it from an informed buyer who is seeking a D100, minus the opportunity
cost of finding such a D100-seeker. I think you're interested in a
different question, which is how much should YOU be willing to pay for it.

The first thing you should be asking is "do you want a D100?". Some
possible answers are: 1) yes, 2) no, 3) you'd rather have a D70 but
you'll take the D100 if it's a big enough bargain.

I think your best answer is 3, which means the amount you should be
willing to pay is less than less than a D100-seeker should pay.

Cutting to the chase, I think a fair price for a used D100 is in the
$700-800 range, but YOU should not be willing to pay more than $500 or
so, because from how you've described your desires, you're better off
with a D70. The fairest deal between you and your friend is for him
to sell his D100 to someone else who'll pay more for it than you
should, and for you to buy a D70 or a Rebel XT. The D100's
specific advantages (vertical grip etc.) over the D70 outweigh its
disadvantages for some specific users which is why there are still
people looking for them, but I think not for you.

You might look at the D100 and D70 articles at www.bythom.com for a
more detailed comparison.
May 21, 2005 12:00:31 AM

"Bryan O. Fenstermacher @fenstermacher.net>" <bryan<~removethisstuff~> wrote
in message news:yYedneW5v4CE-BPfRVn-1g@speakeasy.net...
> All,
>
> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100? I have
> a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new Nikon
> D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>
> He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with the
> veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now I'm asking
> specificly about price for a used D100.
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

Recently Overstock.com had D100's (refurbished)...I THINK they were about
$900.
You could always go to eBay and see what FINISHED auctions sold them at.

George

PS-Personally, I'd rather have a new D70 or D70S than a D100 whether it was
new or
used.

Related resources
May 21, 2005 2:08:26 AM

Bryan O. Fenstermacher <bryan wrote:

> All,
>
> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100? I have a
> friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new Nikon D2X
> bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>
> He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with the
> veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now I'm asking
> specificly about price for a used D100.
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

For pricing this, and just about anything else, you can't beat ebay.
That gives
the clearest indicator of what the market thinks is the right price that
you
will find. The full address is http://www.ebay.com

Ian
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:56:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

"Bryan wrote ...

> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new
> Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).

Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
position.

Rob
May 21, 2005 3:56:36 AM

"Basic Wedge" <basic-wedge@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> "Bryan wrote ...
>
>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new
>> Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>
> Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
> position.
>
> Rob

Imagine the memory card investment...I'd want about 3 8GB CF cards per body!
It all
adds up too fast!
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 4:21:54 AM

"george" <nowhere@newsonly.com> wrote in message

> "Basic Wedge" <basic-wedge@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> "Bryan wrote ...
>>
>>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three
>>> new Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>>
>> Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
>> position.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Imagine the memory card investment...I'd want about 3 8GB CF cards per
> body! It all
> adds up too fast!

The 4GB cards are a nice size. 150 or so shots in NEF+JPEG Fine
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 4:37:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

Yeah, he has a lot of Nikon glass, so the bodies while a major investment
were cheaper than all new glass.

He and his wife have been doing wedding photography for about 5 years full
time. They are talented and are smart business people.

They just rolled out a new web site... http://www.davisphotographer.com/
Some of the shots in the gallery are really impressive.

-Bryan

"Basic Wedge" <basic-wedge@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> "Bryan wrote ...
>
>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new
>> Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>
> Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
> position.
>
> Rob

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 4:42:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

> "Basic Wedge" <basic-wedge@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> "Bryan wrote ...
>>
>>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new
>>> Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>>
>> Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
>> position.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Imagine the memory card investment...I'd want about 3 8GB CF cards per body!
> It all
> adds up too fast!

For professional us I would advise against large CF cards, much better to
have a lot a smaller cards, if one goes tits up you won't have lost a lot of
work.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:18:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

Bryan O. Fenstermacher

> All,
>
> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100? I have a
> friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new Nikon D2X
> bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>
> He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with the
> veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now I'm asking
> specificly about price for a used D100.

$700 is a fair price, but you may want to get a new D70s for around $900
when they come out, instead.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:42:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Bryan O. Fenstermacher"
<bryan<~removethisstuff~>@fenstermacher.net> wrote in

> All,
>
> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100?
> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for
> three new Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>
> He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with
> the veritical grip.

It isn't worth it. Don't waste your money. The D100 is a noise machine
with terrible focus and exposure issues. You can get a used Sigma SD10
for the same price or less, and then you will have a professional DSLR
with a Foveon sensor.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:42:19 AM

"George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Bryan O. Fenstermacher"
> <bryan<~removethisstuff~>@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
>
>> All,
>>
>> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100?
>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for
>> three new Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>>
>> He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with
>> the veritical grip.
>
> It isn't worth it. Don't waste your money. The D100 is a noise machine
> with terrible focus and exposure issues. You can get a used Sigma SD10
> for the same price or less, and then you will have a professional DSLR
> with a Foveon sensor.

Bryan,
Please ignore Preddy. He's a shill/troll and supports the joke called
Sigma.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:09:13 AM

On Sat, 21 May 2005 00:42:00 GMT, Unspam <unspam@mail.com> wrote:

> For professional us I would advise against large CF cards, much better to
> have a lot a smaller cards, if one goes tits up you won't have lost a lot of
> work.

Bah humbug. The card's in more danger from being dropped in traffic
or a creek during changing than it is from hardware failure. Put
all your eggs in one basket and *watch that basket*.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in

> Bryan O. Fenstermacher
>
>> All,
>>
>> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100?
>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for
>> three new Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>>
>> He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with
>> the veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now
>> I'm asking specificly about price for a used D100.
>
> $700 is a fair price, but you may want to get a new D70s for
> around $900 when they come out, instead.

That would be a very bad move. The D70s is essentially the same camera
as the D70, which is known to be a notoriously poor performer among
DSLRs.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 7:22:21 AM

George Preddy wrote:
> "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:
>>$700 is a fair price, but you may want to get a new D70s for
>>around $900 when they come out, instead.
>
> That would be a very bad move. The D70s is essentially the same camera
> as the D70, which is known to be a notoriously poor performer among
> DSLRs.

The D70 is absolutely a breakthrough in performance and features for
price. It also happens to take gorgeous photos, to the point where it
almost makes ME look good.

My dad used to have a Sigma camera. They all share this weird common
characteristic: when you hold them up to your eye, they apply this white
grease paint to you, marking you as a CLOWN for purchasing one.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 2:07:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

> Yeah, he has a lot of Nikon glass, so the bodies while a major investment
> were cheaper than all new glass.
>
> He and his wife have been doing wedding photography for about 5 years full
> time. They are talented and are smart business people.
>
> They just rolled out a new web site... http://www.davisphotographer.com/
> Some of the shots in the gallery are really impressive.
>
> -Bryan

I have just calibrated my monitor and these look over saturated and
overexposed.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:16:24 PM

Unspam wrote:

> > "Basic Wedge" <basic-wedge@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> >> "Bryan wrote ...

> >> Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
> >> position.
> >>
> >> Rob
> >>

> > Imagine the memory card investment...I'd want about 3 8GB CF cards per body!
> > It all
> > adds up too fast!
> >

> For professional us I would advise against large CF cards, much better to
> have a lot a smaller cards, if one goes tits up you won't have lost a lot of
> work.

so you would advise against 36 exposure film?
or bulk film?
something might go wrong, and you would lose all the roll?

zero card failures to date, out of 7 cards.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:25:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

Bryan O. Fenstermacher

> Yeah, he has a lot of Nikon glass, so the bodies while a major investment
> were cheaper than all new glass.
>
> He and his wife have been doing wedding photography for about 5 years full
> time. They are talented and are smart business people.
>
> They just rolled out a new web site... http://www.davisphotographer.com/
> Some of the shots in the gallery are really impressive.

the problem is that the content is lost in the slow AV effects.
good shots, poor presentation to me.

> -Bryan
>
> "Basic Wedge" <basic-wedge@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > "Bryan wrote ...
> >
> >> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new
> >> Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
> >
> > Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
> > position.
> >
> > Rob

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:39:17 PM

Unspam wrote:

> I have just calibrated my monitor and these look over saturated and
> overexposed.

They are... ;-) It's a deliberate 'look'

IMHO they are meant to look like glossy magazine pics...

Some nice stuff - sure beats the usual "technically perfect exposure but
static + boring" look... :-)

Guy
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:24:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment (More info?)

Unspam wrote:

> For professional us I would advise against large CF cards, much better to
> have a lot a smaller cards, if one goes tits up you won't have lost a lot of
> work.

not "a lot" but 2 or maybe 3 per body. The chances of one card going
Tango Uniform are pretty slim. The chances of two going indicate otehr
neglect.

Other factors, mainly logistical, are more important. Solid state cards
are very reliable.

National Geographic photographers hedge their bets by FedExing their
undeveloped film back to headquarters in two lots, every other film in
one lot and vice versa.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 8:01:24 PM

"Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message
> Bryan O. Fenstermacher
>>
>> Yeah, he has a lot of Nikon glass, so the bodies while a major investment
>> were cheaper than all new glass.
>>
>> He and his wife have been doing wedding photography for about 5 years
>> full
>> time. They are talented and are smart business people.
>>
>> They just rolled out a new web site... http://www.davisphotographer.com/
>> Some of the shots in the gallery are really impressive.
>
> the problem is that the content is lost in the slow AV effects.
> good shots, poor presentation to me.

Yes, Bryan, I agree. Some people are just too in love with web technology.
I have a high-speed cable connection on a dual xeon processor workstation
and within a minute or two was frustrated with trying to see the site.
"Crownfield," you would be doing your friend a favor by telling him to keep
it simple.

But, the images are nice - a little contrasty for my taste, but good work
none-the-less. He obviously knows his market.

Walt
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 2:13:50 AM

George Preddy wrote:
> "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in
>

>>Bryan O. Fenstermacher
>>

>>>All,
>>>
>>>Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100?
>>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for
>>>three new Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>>>
>>>He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with
>>>the veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now
>>>I'm asking specificly about price for a used D100.
>>
>>$700 is a fair price, but you may want to get a new D70s for
>>around $900 when they come out, instead.
>

> That would be a very bad move. The D70s is essentially the same camera
> as the D70, which is known to be a notoriously poor performer among
> DSLRs.

Mr. Preddy .... I'm curious ..... do you make these statements with your
tongue in your cheek looking for a reaction ... which is ok by me, or do
you actually believe what you say ? I had $1000 to make a one time
purchase of a DSLR last year. I had Nikkor glass and was biased towards
Nikon BUT I also read tons of reviews and comments, a lot of it from the
folk in this group, and I came away with a D70. To date I have been a
very happy camper, I L O V E my D70 and have no intention of upgrading
for a very long time. The largest prints I make on the S9000 are 8x10
and the results, for me, are nothing short of fantastic. The D70 is a
fantastic piece of equipment and if I dropped it in the gorge I'd email
B&H again requesting another one .. pronto. I carry it everywhere, use
it a lot and love it to bits. We have 3 digital cameras in the family, a
Kodak, a Minolta and a Nikon .... the Nikon sees more use than the other
two put together.
May I be so bold as to say you are horribly out of touch with what's
going on in the DSLR arena.
Time to do your homework I guess.
Bernard
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 8:59:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On 21 May 2005 03:22:20 +0200, George Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com>
wrote:

>"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in
>
>> Bryan O. Fenstermacher
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100?
>>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for
>>> three new Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>>>
>>> He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with
>>> the veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now
>>> I'm asking specificly about price for a used D100.
>>
>> $700 is a fair price, but you may want to get a new D70s for
>> around $900 when they come out, instead.
>
>That would be a very bad move. The D70s is essentially the same camera
>as the D70, which is known to be a notoriously poor performer among
>DSLRs.

George,

I'm new to this group, so I am going to disregard some of the comments
made by other people. Can you be specific about your statement, e.g.
newspaper or magazine stories, quotes from repair people. How much of
your statement is attributable to the D70, and how much to the
len(ses) in use.

By the way, I have two Nikon F2 bodies that are over 30 years old.
They are often used with a motor drive and they aren't "babied" in my
typical field shooting. Aside from the light meters, they are in
perfect mechanical condition. The meters work good as new after a
$135 repair, which I consider cheap considering the overall value of
the body.

I will be going digital at some point (soon?) and I certainly want to
avoid a poor performer. What have you heard about the D2x? I'm
interested in that body, even though it is very pricey, because I
could use it with all my current non-digital lenses.

Father Kodak

June 9, 2005 6:26:24 AM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:59:55 -0700
In message <aj1fa1d4ot07n31r6v631sgtej1mnr16bu@4ax.com>
Father Kodak <dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote:

> <CROP,TRIM,SNIP>

But Father Kodak...

....of all people shouldn't YOU know the answer?

Jeff (Definitely confused...heh)
!