Dragging my custom built

What should I take when I am leaving my country ?

• Take only the components

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Take the components and casing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

barry_venom

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I recently built my first gaming rig. I am planning to take it to United States of America while I pursue my MS. First I would like to know if I am allowed to carry my rig. Second, If I do, would the people at the customs or baggage ask me questions as to why I am carrying a custom built PC. Third, will my core i5 2400 and 5750 have international warranty. Fourth, do I need to get a power supply. Fifth, has any one dragged their custom built from one country to another and what kind of problems did you face initially. Sixth, is it worth taking the gamble ??

My gaming rig configuration

Core i5 2400
ASUS P51 LE Motherboard
2 x 4 GB Corsair 1333 MHz RAM
500 GB Seagate Baracuda HDD
Samsung SATA DVD Writer
HD 5750 1 GB
500 Watts Zebronics PSU
Cooler Master casing

There is only one answer.

Sell it and build a new one.

U will be able to build much better one for the amount u spent over in India.

Customs would look closely at u, since nobody is bringing PC's to the USA, since it is here cheaper. They would thing that u are moving in here or smuggling something : )

Electricity and plugs are also different.

This
grounded_ef_large.jpg

vs USA plug.
20A_USA_moulded_plugs_electrical_outlet_30amp.jpg

barry_venom

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
It is possible to wrap my hdd, graphics card,mobo in my hand luggage with a bubble wrap and besdies I have their boxes in pristine condition. I can even get a PSU and a case later. So that I dont have any compatibility issue with power supply. What do you think ?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Without a doubt id say take with you

1) The HDD
2) The CPU
3) The RAM
4) The GPU

These are all small, but costly components that you can easily travel with. Case and motherboard are a little larger and more of an issue.

Airlines have hand luggage weight and size limit allowances. If you cannot fit the components into whatever size bag the airlines specifies, then no you cant take it on the plane.

barry_venom

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I have a mini ATX board and I think I can pack all the components you mentioned in their original boxing. Will the baggage question me as to why I am taking such items ?
I plan to travel on British Airways and they were actually offering students an additional 23 kg, which means I get to take 3 bags each of 23 kg.

He can get a new power cable in the U.S. Nearly all computing equipment has an IEC C13 receptacle to plug the power cable into (see below), regardless of its country of origin or country of intended use.

100px-IEC_60320_C13.svg.png

This is so a company can sell their equipment everywhere and the local distributor or seller bundles the IEC C13 cable with the local plug type with the parts. All the OP needs to do is get an IEC C13 power cable with a NEMA 5-15 (U.S./Canada three-prong) end. You can find those in any computer store in the U.S. and many will probably be willing to give you a used one for free.

barry_venom

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I dont think PSU should be an issue. I am planning to get an XFX 550W once I land US along with a 20 inch LCD. My point absolutely boils down to this: Are people allowed to carry such electronic components in hand baggage or checked in baggage ??

PS: It would be a relief if this question is answered by a person who has such an experience. No if's and but's guys. Sorry If I am a bit rude here.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Then wouldn't your question be best served by calling the customs office and get a definite answer?

barry_venom

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
@zolton33: I was hoping that people here at tomshardware must be having a wide variety of experience and talking to customs would be my last resort.... :p

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Yeah but it would be a guess from most of us. I would understand if it was a laptop (many travel with them) but a desktop? I'd be afraid of probing happening the second you tried to go through with pc components (they stop and question people for far less) I'd check the airlines web site as a side note they should have a list of things that can and can not be carried onto the plane as well as telling you what you should do and need to know.

barry_venom

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks for that encouraging answer .... I couldn't find anything in regards to computer desktop or components mentioned any place.