Sign in with
Your question

~$1000 Gaming Desktop, First Build

Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2012 5:25:39 AM

Here's what I've been thinking of. More details below.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within a few months, probably by April at latest.

Budget Range: Around $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video editing (hopefully), wireless video streaming, basic school work.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers, Operating System.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Probably newegg.com, I've been using that quite a bit.

Parts Preferences: No real preference, as I don't have experience with any one brand over another.

Overclocking: Maybe in the future if coming games require it from my processor.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, if I will need it in the future.

Monitor Resolution: I'm thinking 1920x1080, on a 21.5" to 23" widescreen LED-Backlit LCD monitor.

Additional Comments: See below.

Be warned, this would be my first build, so be gentle.

I'm looking to replace this old HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop that I'm on right now for a decent gaming desktop, with a budget of around $1000, give or take $200. I'm mostly looking to play games such as Battlefield 3, Team Fortress 2, Skyrim, and Minecraft. The games don't necessarily have to be running at 60fps on ultra settings, so 60fps on medium would be just fine for me. I also want to be able to practice video editing as I'm interesting in learning that sort of thing.I also want this desktop to last me for a while, would 5-7 years seem out of question? This is going to be costing a lot for me, so I want to make sure it will be worth it in the long run.

I've been researching a little bit and have found a reasonably-priced combo on newegg.com. The entire bundle package thing on newegg.com is around $800, so to see that click here. By no means do these parts have to be bought in the whole package, it is just a guideline for me to follow at the moment.
The individual parts (and my thoughts on them) are as followed:

Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer
This case seems pretty good for what I'm looking for, and I'm wondering how I get the "optional" 200mm fan on the top? I assume that it is just an option at checkout or something. That would be a must for me...

PSU: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power 600W
I'm not so sure about this one, although it seems alright. I'm guessing 600W would be enough for me right now, and having a modular PSU would be nice so cables are just lying around.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB3.0 Micro ATX
From what I've looked at so far, I would want a Z68 like this one, but being a Micro-ATX concerns me, because I want to be able to expand in the future and want a reliable motherboard that will be able to fit those expansions. Also, I'm not completely sure what the difference is between SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 6Gb/s, but I assume it has something to do with transfer speed or computing.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
No real complaints about this one. From what I've read, the 2500K overclocks very easily for computer newbies like me, and
should be fairly future-proof.

CPU Heatsink/Fan (not included in the package I mentioned above): COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus 120mm
Once again, no complaints, I'm pretty sure I'll be going with this no matter what other components I choose.

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB)
I was planning on getting these anyways, so that's good news.

HDD/SSD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0GB/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Seems like a decent-enough hard drive, I'm so glad the price isn't too high. For hard drives, I'm not sure what the cache refers to, so if you have any suggestions besides 16MB I'd be glad to hear it. Having an SSD boot drive is not very important to me right now, but later on down the road I may want that extra performance.

GPU/Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560Ti (Fermi) 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16
I was looking at the same chip for just about every other arrangement I thought of, and ended up going to the MSI Twin Frozr version of this. EVGA and MSI seem like well known brands, so I'm not really worried about that. If you have any suggestions towards this too, that'd be great.

Wireless Adapter (not included with combo): Rosewill Wireless N Adapter
Just wondering how this would work with the rest of the setup.

Optical Drive (not included with combo): ASUS 24 DVD Burner
Nothing special here, I just don't want to spend much money on something I won't use an aweful lot.

I think that's about it. Sorry if notepad screwed up some of the spacing, it's been weird lately.

Another combo I might pick if I make enough money might be this.

For other accessories and such I was just going to go with the Razer Deathadder and Arctosa, with a monitor like this one.

So yea, ultimately, what do you think of it all, and please leave a comment expressing your thoughts and ideas. Thanks.
February 3, 2012 6:42:20 AM

from what i have read so far you have done your research, im 19 and started building when i was 14 but what i learned in all my builds is ALWAYS DO RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING.... Alright so some suggestions.

1) Sandy-bridge started back in the Celeron days so its obviously proven, i5 are quick and you won't find much need for a six core. also intel cpu's do not use pins, wich means less error and chance of damage in installation. in price thou you could save money by thinking about going the AMD route. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... This will easily over clock to 4.5 in the future and is less expensive and runs cooler then its Intel brother.

2) if your looking for a gamer rig obviously the graphics card will be your biggest thought. i would say an entry level ATI or Nvidia for around a buck fifty would do the trick. and if your looking for shear power then your stepping into the 200 or more price range. i would suggest something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... this gigabyte gpu will run mostly everything on high and something more demanding like bf3 on medium/high settings at more than 60fps. and its great for overclocking as well.

3) if your looking for cheap speed invest in an SSD. all you need is a 30-50GB SSD to boot windows from, and it will fell like you spent another 500 bucks on your rig. i splapped one in my last rig and it boots in under 15 seconds after post. then get a cheap WD green, or Black HHD for storage.

4) IMPORTANT!! PSU, and heat-sink. AMD stock heat-sinks are very loud and are cheaply made. get a corsair, thermal-take or noctua heat-sink for under 40 bucks. as for a psu, it will be powering everything so this should be from a quailty vendor and no less then 600 whats to be safe.

5) RAM and case. the case is completly up to your aesthetic choice and price range but here is a good one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and lastly RAM on a gaming rig is more important in terms of speed, not size. so if you said your going to be doing video editing then saving money for More memory but less speed might be a better option.

6) have fun doing it, make sure you assemble everything safely and Pirate the *** out of everything. and when in doubt, check youtube and forums!! good luck
Related resources
February 3, 2012 7:13:33 AM

sosofm said:
MOBO : ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Change the PSU with this Corsair 80+ bronze certified http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 10$mail in rebates.
Its a verry good build.

+1

Also change GPU to MSI Twin Frozr III Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 - $240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
At 1920x1080 you won't see any performance gain with 2GB graphics memory.
Also Radeon 6950 is better than GTX 560ti in terms of performance/power consumption/GPU temperature.
February 3, 2012 8:43:35 AM

Doesn't make sense you assemble a computer so far away from the day you gonna buy.
Prices changes, new hardware comes out, and etc.

Remake this thread again, let's say, 2 weeks before buying so we can help you better.
(I guarantee to you that the build you select today going to have different CPU, MOBO and VGA in two months)
!