Solved

Good time to upgrade the CPU

The last time I upgraded was in 2008, few days before Nehalem came out. So I have been stuck with 8-Gig machine and other limitations of pre-i7 era.

Is now a good time to upgrade CPU and mobo, or are we days away from another significant leap?
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good time upgrade
  1. now is good. And cheap.
  2. Best answer
    Now is good.
    If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

    I see no important cpu/motherboard related announcements coming in the 18 months.
    AMD might come closer to being competitive, and Intel may launch 22nm duo's
    A SSD should be part of your upgrade, and those prices are still falling.
  3. ratsa said:
    The last time I upgraded was in 2008, few days before Nehalem came out. So I have been stuck with 8-Gig machine and other limitations of pre-i7 era.

    Is now a good time to upgrade CPU and mobo, or are we days away from another significant leap?


    With the success of tablets, windows 8, touch screen and even the success of kinect I'd imagine we're starting to see the end of the PC as we know it. We'll probably need all new hardware, Its' probably about 5 years away mostly because companies still want to sell their inventory but the point is if you want to upgrade now is a perfect time as it'll give you a few years til you'll need to upgrade
  4. geofelt said:
    A SSD should be part of your upgrade, and those prices are still falling.


    I have plenty of 7200rpm drives to use until SSD really come down. Do you think that's reasonably, or should I go with SSD right away?
  5. How about hex-core Ivy Bridge CPUs--shouldn't those be out in the near future?
  6. What do you need hex core for? While time is not money in my case, I've never needed more than a quad core for games or anything else.

    SSDs are great if you want the trade off in space. For me, it really doesnt affect things too much to be without one right now. At work, where I do file transfers for money, it makes sense to have 4xSSD raids. Playing games and posting, not so much.
  7. Hex-core for video editing with Premiere Pro?

    I see that Crucial 128 GB SSD is $125, which not much more than I would spend on primary HDD. I keep only the OS, Programs and PageFile on the C: drive anyway.

    What do you think?
  8. sounds like you should get the hex core and an ssd.
  9. Is there an Ivy Bridge hex-core yet :)
  10. ratsa said:
    Is there an Ivy Bridge hex-core yet :)


    Nope, there isn't and may never be. If there ever is one, it won't be here until sometime in Q2 2013.
  11. Not sure, but other adobe apps are GPU accelerated, I wonder if Premiere is? A decent video card might help if you cant get all CPU muscle.
  12. Premiere is GPU accelerated. GTX 570 and GTX 580 are on the list of approved cards. It helps with some operations but not others. Until the Ivy Bridge chips came out a couple of weeks ago, hex-core was the way to go; now they're a lot closer.

    Now that I think of it, should I go with i7-3770k so that have the option of OC down the road? I don't want to do it now but my hunch is it will be enough horsepower for present needs and I don't need to learn how to OC and cool on first build.
  13. ratsa said:
    Premiere is GPU accelerated. GTX 570 and GTX 580 are on the list of approved cards. It helps with some operations but not others. Until the Ivy Bridge chips came out a couple of weeks ago, hex-core was the way to go; now they're a lot closer.

    Now that I think of it, should I go with i7-3770k so that have the option of OC down the road? I don't want to do it now but my hunch is it will be enough horsepower for present needs and I don't need to learn how to OC and cool on first build.


    sounds like a good plan. These K chips are really easy to OC, not too much nerding involved :) That chip @4ghz is really fast.
  14. DJDeCiBeL said:
    Nope, there isn't and may never be. If there ever is one, it won't be here until sometime in Q2 2013.


    How about a faster 135 Watt 3770? That would be better than the current 77w 3770.
  15. where are you finding a 135 watt 3770?

    http://ark.intel.com/products/series/65131
  16. festerovic said:
    where are you finding a 135 watt 3770?

    http://ark.intel.com/products/series/65131


    I was wondering whether Intel is done announcing desktop IB chips. i7-3770 is hardly an improvement over the i7-2700K but it uses less power, so I'm hoping there is something else in the works (that uses more power) sooner rather than later.
  17. Have you looked at SB-E/IB-E? they use 130 watts.
  18. I have looked at SB-E.

    I was not aware there were any IB-E.
  19. Best answer selected by ratsa.
  20. Intel is coming out with a new processor called Haswell. Intel says it will have versions that use just 10 watts which is about a 40% improvement over current Ivy Bridge units. It will use TSX table access, also the South bridge, or PCH will be on the CPU; of course this will mandate an new socket, the LGA1150, say good by to LGA1155. So no now isn't a good time to buy!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Nehalem