New Build Issues! Please Help!

luke_wright1993

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Hi All,

The other day I decided to do a new system build, thought it would be simple enough as I have done a couple builds before but none from complete scratch.

I decided to go for the following spec all bought off of Novatech who have always served me pretty well, I didnt want a ultra performance machine but something which I can easily upgrade in the near future.

The spec is as follows:

Intel Core i5 2400
ASUS P8H67-M PRO MOTHERBOARD
NOVATECH COUGAR ATX CASE with 500W Novatech PSU
SEAGATE 7200.12 500GB 6GB/S
CORSAIR VENGEANCE BLUE 2X2GB DDR3
LG GH22NS70 22X DVDRW OEM

So all the parts arrived within two days so I was chuffed with that, unboxed everything and pieced it all together without any issues.

I then tried to boot the PC and thats when my troubles started! The motherboard power LED lights up so the Mobo definatley has power going to it. My first thought was that the power button on the case was faulty or connected wrongly to the mobo however I checked this and all seems fine.

On further investigation when I press the power button both the CPU fan and PSU fan move slightly as if they are trying to start up. This leads me to a Power supply issue, I have another power supply on its way to try so i am hoping that will resolve the issue and will keep you guys posted, but before that does anyone else have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!

Because you do not have a lot of experience, look at the following threads.
Build it yourself:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step-guide-building

And although this primarily a troubleshooting thread, the first part contains a checklist that will catch most noob mistakes:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

Novatech PSU's are not the best PSU's in the world. Actually, they are far (below :)) average. If you didn't make any mistakes in assembling your computer, the new PSU should fix your problem.

The motherboard power LED illuminating means only that you have AC going into the PSU.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Last time my fans tried to move and fail I discovered my mobo was the problem, not my PSU.

And btw, my mobo had all the LEDs lights up too.

luke_wright1993

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks for the help guys!

Will go through all the guides this evening when I get in from work,
What was the issue with your motherboard vitornob?

Anything that can be repaired or is it a return to supplier and request a new on job?

Thanks.