Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PhenomII X2 555 HT1.0 performance impact?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 18, 2012 6:29:09 PM

One of my friends gave me A Gigabyte GA-M52L-S3 motherboard and a PhenomII X2 555 AM3 processor. I found the product page on gigabyte's site http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
It states
"(Note) If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support List" for more information."
I am assuming that the 555 will run at 2000MT/s since it is AM3. Does anyone have an idea of what kind of performance will be lost vs buying a newer motherboard? BTW this will be paired with an HD 5770 if it makes a difference.
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2012 10:44:28 PM

Andon48 said:
One of my friends gave me A Gigabyte GA-M52L-S3 motherboard and a PhenomII X2 555 AM3 processor. I found the product page on gigabyte's site http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
It states
"(Note) If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support List" for more information."
I am assuming that the 555 will run at 2000MT/s since it is AM3. Does anyone have an idea of what kind of performance will be lost vs buying a newer motherboard? BTW this will be paired with an HD 5770 if it makes a difference.


the biggest thing is to make sure the AM2 mobo supports your am3 processor (phenom 2 is not in the list of supported processors). and if it does support it, the following thread should clear up your question.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/323635-28-will-socket...
m
0
l
May 19, 2012 3:19:58 PM

rinval said:
the biggest thing is to make sure the AM2 mobo supports your am3 processor (phenom 2 is not in the list of supported processors). and if it does support it, the following thread should clear up your question.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/323635-28-will-socket...



I had the wrong link up, it's this board http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
It says it will support most PIIs up to the 955. Thanks for the link, I was looking for some more concrete numbers like benchmarks but I don't think I'm going to find any.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 19, 2012 6:59:26 PM

Andon48 said:
I had the wrong link up, it's this board http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
It says it will support most PIIs up to the 955. Thanks for the link, I was looking for some more concrete numbers like benchmarks but I don't think I'm going to find any.


looks like on this board that there is support for your processor on bios revision f7I so you may need to update your bios.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 3200MHz 512KBx2 6MB Callisto 45nm C3 80W 4000 F7I

anyway the performance degradation will be minimal at best. as the Hyper transport will only really effect your perifial throughput. ie your graphics hdd etc will be a little slower than a board that supports HT3. though it really shouldn't be enough to stop you from using the board and even playing games.

if your going to throw a GPU in there i wouldnt go higher than entry level like HD6670 , HD7750, gtx550TI. if you go higher your just wasting money to see your processor and board bottle neck your computer.

edit: if your going to play games i would recommend upgrading the board to at least an AM3+ board and grabbing some DDR 3 ram. below is about 80ish and would be a huge upgrade and allow for FX processor upgrades later down the road.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingItem.aspx?ItemLi...
Share
May 19, 2012 7:13:25 PM

Best answer selected by Andon48.
m
0
l
!