Upgrading Proc and Mobo With about $550 Budget

caffarella

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Hi guys, i'm new here, so i don't know if this post put at the right place. Sorry if my English are bad.

I'm going to upgrading my Processor and my Motherboard to my new ones, so i'm asking opinion what would be the best right there.
I'm much more prefer to put minimal cost for future upgrade rather than only looking for performance.

Here are list of my information :

Approximate Purchase Date: few months
Budget Range: 400$~650$ (Including anything that need to be added to be working properly)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: bit extreme Gaming, watching movies, Browsing Internet)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Viraindo.com (Indonesian Pricing Site Seller)
Parts Preferences: Intel CPU and Asus/Gigabyte Motherboard.
Overclocking: Maybe, Very Limited Overclocking
SLI or Crossfire: Totally NO
Monitor Resolution: Currently 1366*768. Going try Upgrading later to 1920++

Current Specification
Processor : Intel Core2DuoE7500 2,93Ghz (Socket 775)
Motherboard : Gigabyte Ep45-UD3LR
RAM : Vgen 2x2Gb 1333mhz DDR3
Vga : HIS ATI Radeon HD 5750 1gb DDR5
Harddisk :
OS XP SP3 : Western Digital 500Gb Sata 2
OS Window 7 Ultimate SP1 : Western Digital 2Tb Sata 3
PowerSupply : 600w (i forget the brand), Comes with the ATX case
(This Specification are going to be upgraded as time goes on.)

Not to long ago, while surfing at the internet, i found that Intel going to release those new i7 3820 processor at Feb 2012. as not many review so far, i found this processor is the decent ones however, the cost sure are stacked up as it comes without cooler and quad channel RAM.
So far this what i found if i'm going to change to this i7
Processor : i7 3820 (Socket 2011) 3,6Ghz Cost 285$
Motherboard : Asus P9X79 Pro Cost about 370~400$
Cooler for Processor as i7 3820 not comes with the fan.
Optional Additional RAM for quad channel, another 2x2gb Ram.
This could cost me about 650~750$ which make me out a bit of my budget. Now i wonder does this cost really worth for upgrading to this processor than another socket.

Any opinion would welcomed.

No you don't need the latest. if you want to be on the safe side of things. get a Core I7 2600K or a I5 2500K. Now i understand you won't be overclocking. But however these to are higher clocked then their non K predecessor's. I wouldnt spend no more than 200 on the Motherboard. you can get a nice one with the features you need. If your not OC'ing you don't have to have the highest dollar board. I couldn't translate Indonesian so i couldn't navagate the site. But from the interface of the website. it looked like Indonesia's version of Ibuy Power or OriginPC etc

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
What do you want to do with your computer? Are you going to game? Are you going to do 3D editing? Video/Photo editing?

I did a post on these forums earlier, where I upgraded a system from a single core LGA 775 P4 to a Core 2 Duo with a 4770 and 4 GB DDR2... It made a HUGE difference on games, but not much difference elsewhere...

TBH, if you are a straight gamer, I wouldn't even bother upgrading anything but your video card...

However, if you plan to use your computer for 'work' like CAD or Photoshop, I'd say that you should get a nice rounded system: 2500k is a GREAT chip, if you can afford it, and just keep the video card you have now... 8 or even 16 GB of RAM is cheep (good for editing and Virtual Machines).

And the single most important upgrade you can do, more than a video card, or a new processor:

Get a SSD...

It is the single greatest bang-for-the-buck upgrade you can do. Period. 120GB Crucial M4 on your current system would feel like night and day compared to how slow your current hard drives are.

caffarella

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Majorly i use my computer for gaming. Not an excessive / hardcore ones like 8AA or extreme graphic uses at extreme resolution. Just high setting is enough.
I also extremely rare uses for editing video/graphic things.

Well, how much will upgrading to i5 2500k will cost me?

I choose those asus pro board because those feature that tickle my interest, like bluetooth device etc, but don't know if price worth for it.

I'd tested my current spec running Need for Speed The Run (direct 11 on my win7 ultimate sp1) which my spec are barely minimum equal to this game requirement, resulted at much poor FPS gameplay even at lowest graphic setting. I know that my current spec are getting outdated for playing those new games there, so i'm planning to upgrade my spec by parts by parts.

Lastly, which one specs would be better for future saving? (longer time before needs to be upgraded again)

i7 3820 with those asus motherboard which cost too high but upgradeable choice of ram?

or i5 2500k at socket 1155 settings?

Does the i7 3820 extra cost does not worth for invest?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005

Gaming: Right now, the STANDARD chip is the 2500k. The newer chips force you to buy much more expensive motherboards based on new CPU sockets. The 2500K is more than enough for even the newest games. Even with newer games, MOST of your bottleneck comes from the GPU.

With a 2500K, you will need new RAM and a new Motherboard. RAM is cheep. If you can go to MicroCenter, the 2500K is 180, and a motherboard can be anywhere from 150 to 300 dollars, depending on your needs...

I'd still get a Solid State Drive...