Your question

System Problems - Not Sure How To Proceed

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2012 11:57:41 AM

Hi All,

I've had my current box for over 2 years now and for the majority of that time it's been rock solid.

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Corsair Pro 750w PSU (single 12v rail)
i7 920 (oc to 3.8)
Corsair H50 CPU Watercooler
6Gb Corsair XMS3 RAM
WD Raptor 150Gb OS Drive

Up until this machine I had always built my own. About 2 months ago the overclock failed at boot time and frankly the machine has been a bit ropy ever since. If I attempt to set the BIOS to the original overclock settings again I get a BSOD (101 / D1 / 124 codes) If I leave it stock it will boot fine and run all day no problems. Running benchmarks and memory tests seems to be fine as well.

I've recently done a few upgrades (EVGA GTX580 Classified, 24Gb Vengence RAM) installed those and all was well. Everything was good however, last night I booted and only 16Gb RAM was recognised. No power cycling or BIOS resets fixed this.

I'm starting to loose confidence in the system now. Maybe the overclocking wasn't as good as it could be and has aged some of the components? It's my main workhorse machine as I'm a software engineer, photographer and video editor. I need a solid machine as it needs to do a LOT of work.

I'm also loathed to just go and get a new Mobo/Chip combo without first exhausting my options with this system. How would you guys progress?

Run lots more tests? I'm going to try switching some of the memory sticks this evening and run memtest again. Other stress testing tools have been fine which I'm confused about.

It also seems that if I pop into the BIOS on boot up and change a setting or two (noting related to oc) I'll get a D1 BSOD until I power cycle the whole machine when this used to be fine.

Anyway ideas or advice would be great.

More about : system problems proceed

February 3, 2012 12:16:52 PM

If 16gb of ram was discovered maybe you have a faulty RAM card or one of the RAM slots on the motherboard might be faulty????

Try only putting 16gbs in and see what the bios says
February 3, 2012 12:37:17 PM

So did the problems start before or after you changed out the video card and memory?

Have you checked your memory settings are set to what the sticker on the dimms says? (voltage)

Related resources
February 3, 2012 6:08:43 PM

Hi Guys,

Overall the machine did have one BSOD, that knocked out the previous over-clocking settings, at that point in time the machine had ran fine for over a year with those settings. Like I said in the OP this machine has been used a lot for productivity, sometimes with After Effects, Premier Pro & Photoshop open and has been utterly solid under real load, not a hint of a problem. So, I guess it is fair to say that the problems started before the video card/ram upgrade.

When I initially installed the ram all 24Gb was detected, I ran Memtest overnight and nada, no problems found, I'm confident the RAM is good. I've just swapped two modules over and booted from cold and it still only reads 16Gb (this started last night). In fact I've just checked the slots and I didn't do it properly. My board has:

A1
A2
B1
B2
C1
C2

Silly boy, I just swapped C2 for C1 and I meant to swap across channels, not in the same channel.

Now because I was having over-clock issues I've left everything on "Auto" in the BIOS. I'm going to reboot now, swap over two ram modules properly and then set the correct memory settings in the BIOS (Timings & Voltages), see if that makes any difference.

For some reason CPU-Z shows the RAM timings as 8-8-8-20 when the BIOS is on Auto (tRFC as 86 clocks and 2T CR & recognises all 6x4Gb modules).

I'll get all this changed and see what happens, thanks for the replies.
February 3, 2012 9:09:22 PM

After a lot of stick swapping of sticks I've identified a dodgy 4Gb module. Going to RMA it back to the vendor.

Seems this should be the root of all my other problems.
February 4, 2012 2:50:59 PM

So I guess the answer was yes.
February 4, 2012 3:00:21 PM

heh heh ... er ... yes :) 
February 4, 2012 3:04:20 PM

I've actually, just got the machine nice and stable with the original OC as well. Just need to try pushing the RAM multiplier up a notch and get that tested.

Thanks for the help.
February 15, 2012 6:06:28 PM

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd put this one to bed ... boo :( 

I've had a few D1 stop errors since I found and removed the dodgy stick of RAM. I'm still waiting for the replacements to arrive so I'm currently running with 4x4Gb modules installed as per the p6T recommendations.

The D1 stop error only ever occurs during boot up so no memory dumps in minidumps are created. The machine boots fine 80% of the time, but if it does do a D1 during boot, sometimes a full power cycle then reboot and select [Start Windows normally] will be fine however, sometimes that won't fix the problem and I have to run the start up repair (without doing a restore) will need to be run ... then the machine boots as if nothing ever happened.

How on earth do I diagnose this problem with little to no information available on what might be causing the problem?

Since it happens only during boot up into Windows could this actually be a software only problem (Driver)? Rather than the normal hardware sourced BSOD?

Really am at the end of my knowledge on this one. It would help if the Driver whose IRQ is problematic was listed as part of the BSOD (*.sys) but there is nothing, nada ... :( 
February 23, 2012 11:46:53 AM

Hey Guys,

If anyone does have any ideas on this it would be really helpful.

Cheers,

James
February 25, 2012 11:11:46 PM

Is your RAM overclocked as well, or are they running at stock clocks?

Is it one kit or two or more kits running in her? Same kind brand of RAM, or is it mixed?