Small Office network setup

Coby15

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
I have been tasked with the technology update of our office and have have MAJOR questions which I hope can be answered here, so here goes;

First a little history, I have an electronics degree and a certificate in computer technology, so computers are not something new to me, however networking IS.

I have a VERY LIMITED budget to work with, which I'm sure is not unheard of before, with the following equipment already available:

1 MFP currently on lease connected via network
3 totally junk PCs running 3 different versions of Windows from XP to 7
A DSL internet connection
A wireless router
A wired 8 port switch

What I would like to do is begin with a basic server, 7 clients, shared internet on all machines (including external via login), An MFP, at least 1 NAS for data storage, 1 NAS for backup of all drives.

I know this is going to require some work and hopefully not too much money. ANY help on this will be welocmed with great appreciation.

Thank you in advance to one and all!!

Coby15

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

Looking for advice on issues such as this. At some point we would like to be able to access our 'server' from outside and maybe host a website later. So I think the answer would be to create a domain server?

If you are only looking to share files, a NAS server might due. Take a look at FreeNAS. Or you could use Linux with Samba which Windows sees as a Windows server.

You should keep the WebServer as a separate machine. If it is just hosting one simple website, you could use an old computer and install Linux with Apache to host the website.

I know it is not as simple as installing Windows 2008 Server but it will save you a few thousand in OS cost and user licenses cost.

also you could take a look at Hamachi a VPN software from logmein.com